Appeal: Please use serving size as grams

Options

Replies

• mrsgrimsdale
    Options
    Insisting on 'cups' is a very narrow minded American trait. In the UK we have no idea what size a cup is or how much it's supposed to represent. I agree that a simple uniform system such as grams is the best way, then everyone can access it.

If you don't weigh your food, then you're having to rely on the packaging figures anyway rather than the food database so you lose nothing.

I live in the uk and people here of a certain age will remember predecimilization and cope perfectly well with cups and ounces as well as grams . As to 1 pizza is this a little chicago town microwave pizza or a giant dominos stuffed crust?
    How a bout making your own pizza then you will know the exact measurements of all the ingredients.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    in US measurements a "Cup" is a consistent measure....not in the UK or elsewhere. I find measurements in grams daunting...I didn't grow up measuring anything that way, while I know exactly what a cup of something looks like. It isn't a big deal to list a food both ways though, on most packaging in the US there is a gram measurement on the package somewhere.
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'm losing weight using the less specific measurements, and not weighing anything. I measure things at home with cups and tablespoons, but if I'm out to dinner I eyeball it or use the restaurant's listing for "half a pizza." Having a general idea is apparently good enough to stop me from grossly overeating, because I am losing steadily.

This post doesn't apply to me because I don't put the listings I make in the database, but for some people who were eating 4000+ calories a day before, the slightly less specific measurements such as half or whole pizza work just fine.

Also I've never had to use grams so they make no sense to me, whereas it's becoming easy to visualize a cup or tablespoon of something after months of measuring things out =] To each his/her own. That's why there can be multiple listings for things in the database.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    The US population is quite stubborn about adopting the system of measurements used by virtually the rest of the planet (to the distress of many of us with scientific backgrounds). We're stuck with the outdated system that we use and thus all the measuring cups and spoons I have are based on Cups, tablespoons, etc because that is what I can buy when I'm in the kitchen utensils and gadgets sections of most stores, and all the recipe books I buy and read are also based on those units.

It's not about being stubborn. I can only speak for myself but I happen to enjoy using my vast cookbook collection (as well as online recipes and magazines) and they all use cups, tablespoons, teaspoons. I would be completely lost if all of the sudden the measurements that I've used my entire life suddenly vanished!

while I agree I'd hate to lose all my cookbooks...like you, all my books were published in America for American cooks. The same books published in other countries are probably converted to grams, and the food comes out the same, for the most part. We in the US are the ones behind the times, most of the rest of the world has gone with the other system. I admit I feel a little uncomfortable with it...I learned metric in school in chemistry class, but I still have no visual memory of how much a gram of anything is, or a liter of anything is. (I can eyeball ounces or cups pretty darn well....professional cook)
  • victoriavoodoo
    Options
    Insisting on 'cups' is a very narrow minded American trait. In the UK we have no idea what size a cup is or how much it's supposed to represent. I agree that a simple uniform system such as grams is the best way, then everyone can access it.

If you don't weigh your food, then you're having to rely on the packaging figures anyway rather than the food database so you lose nothing.

In america we have no idea what size a gram is or how much it's supposed to represent, at least I don't. I'm in college and all of my science labs have used cups. No one teaches us grams and it isn't our fault. So wouldn't having both available be the better answer than grams OR cups? You being confused isn't worse than me being confused; no one should have to be confused.Grams aren't more simple for everyone just because it's what you use, and cups are as uniform as grams are(it's not any old cup in your kitchen, it's a specific number of ounces etc).
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I am on the opposite spectrum as you. I don't weigh out my food on a gram scale (sanity reasons for this). So if all the foods in the database were listed only by grams I wouldn't be able to calculate. I have to accept that different people prefer things different ways.
    I think restricting folks who are trying to do a good thing for themselves because it doesn't fit how you want to do that good thing for yourself is not the right answer.

Pip
    Same. Not everybody weighs and I know when I look up say 'toastino's pizza rolls' and see them listed by grams I immediately look for something else because huh? I can't remember what I saw that was 356g's, it was steak or something, and I honestly have no idea how to eyeball that.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    If just 40 calories makes such an extravagant difference for you, I can almost guarantee you that you are eating too little.

If you are eating a reasonably healthy amount of food, 40 cals won't mean the difference between fat and fit in the end, so don't sweat it.

this totally this!
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options

\
    Or if you see something in cups and that bothers you, just put it in a different way instead of being irritated. The more options the better. Sheesh.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

In america we have no idea what size a gram is or how much it's supposed to represent, at least I don't. I'm in college and all of my science labs have used cups. No one teaches us grams and it isn't our fault. So wouldn't having both available be the better answer than grams OR cups? You being confused isn't worse than me being confused; no one should have to be confused.Grams aren't more simple for everyone just because it's what you use, and cups are as uniform as grams are(it's not any old cup in your kitchen, it's a specific number of ounces etc).

In America I know exactly what a gram is and measure all of my good that way. All of my science labs used mL or grams, never cups, and scales where applicable. :huh:

So. Don't say we.
  • knitwit0704
    Options
    I'm not sure where you live but here in the U.S. a lot of food items are not given a gram serving size. Instead it could be in ounces, cups, etc. And I think you're being awfully anal weighing prepackaged foods.

On the packaging, usually, next to the volumetric serving size, in parentheses, there is usually an amount in grams. THAT'S what she's talking about.

And she's not really weighing prepackaged foods -- just foods that have more than 1 serving per package, like bulk frozen fruit, or peas, or a frozen pizza.
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Before this thread dies, I have a question.

Why are there no funny gifs in this thread? Only one serious one pointing out the solution to a math question. That's just not right.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Yes, there should be more funny gifs! I don't know where all the funny animated gifs come from, alas!

Also, get a cool scale that toggles between g and oz and that makes it more awesomer!

I told the apple fritter story before. But, weighing food does matter. If you're good at estimates that's great, and of course I have to approximate when I'm out or research where I'm eating or where I ate and read their nutritional info (if available). I don't bring my scale with me, but gosh darn it, I love my kitchen scale.

New-Year-Scale.gif

But, I guess some people don't like scales. :tongue:
  • victoriavoodoo
    Options

In America I know exactly what a gram is and measure all of my good that way. All of my science labs used mL or grams, never cups, and scales where applicable. :huh:

So. Don't say we.

"at least I don't," or did you not read to even the end of the sentence? OR more importantly the post I was quoting and replying to? I'll help you: The blanket statement was in sarcastic response to their blanket statement, "In the uk we have no idea what size a cup is...." (I bolded it above) or are you not bothered by their use of 'we' to represent millions of people? I was. I thought the exact same wording(up to where I revoke my blanket statement at the end) made the intention clear, my bad(edit: there's that sarcasm again; I can't seem to help it today):huh:

Regardless of my misinterpreted sarcasm I stand by the statement that cups as a unit is more widely used here because it is what's taught here and what people are more likely to be familiar with. It isn't a "narrow minded american trait" any more than using grams is a "narrow minded rest-of-the-world trait." What's narrow minded is thinking one is more simple/accurate than the other because it is what the other poster happened to grow up with.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    All this could be solved if everyone just un-checked the box to allow other people to use their entries. You can still see all the things you enter and then wouldn't have to spend hours trying to sort through all the other duplicates that don't fit into your standards. That is all I ask.. Just don't clog the database with entries. Use them for yourself and let everyone else use their own. I wish they would just purge everything from there that isn't a default entry.
  • elephant_in_the_room
    elephant_in_the_room Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    1 cup = .24 liters.

Here in Australia, 1cup=250ml or .25 litres, standardised.

Also, please note, 'half a cup' of oats... Depending how you fill your measuring cup can be anywhere from 40-60g.
    And please tell me what a cup of broccoli is. Do you count the air between the broccoli pieces?
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    All this could be solved if everyone just un-checked the box to allow other people to use their entries. You can still see all the things you enter and then wouldn't have to spend hours trying to sort through all the other duplicates that don't fit into your standards. That is all I ask.. Just don't clog the database with entries. Use them for yourself and let everyone else use their own. I wish they would just purge everything from there that isn't a default entry.

this! very rarely do i make any of my recipes public. i spent several minutes this morning trying to figure out how to log 3 tablespoons of kraft 2% shredded cheddar cheese. finally just said screw it and put in 1/4 cup. oh well i'd rather be over then under.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    ummmm. I think a cup is 8 oz and a 1/2 cup is 4 oz.

Well I just did a little experiment - I weighed a cup of flour (level) - it was 160g or 5 5/8 oz, and a cup of penne pasta (as level as poss) and that was 95g or 3 1/4 oz.

I'll stick with my scales.

really? that's like saying that gram of flour equals 1 litre of flour. This is just not a fact. 8 fluid ounces of flour does not equal 8 weighed ounces of flour.

I thought the same thing. Ounces in volume do not equal ounces in weight.

I was talking about weight - I don't measure dry ingredients in fluid ounces. In fact I don't use fluid ounces for anything - I use mls.

All this proves is that some people prefer to use cups and spoons to measure volume, some people prefer to weigh either in metric or imperial, and so we understand each other according to our preferences.

Surely what's important is that we measure, one way or another to be sure of what we're eating?

The world's a big place, there's room for us all, and the beauty of MFP is that you can make the database do what you want it to do to suit your prefered system. :smile:
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    MFP's programmers could solve this easily enough by allowing multiple serving size entries, so if the package says 1/3 cup (50g), we could enter both the weight and volume so those who like to be accurate can be, and those who measure steak in cups can still be nuts.

I agree!!!
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    WOW....lol....who truly doesn't know what a cup is. I am sorry to laugh but they must not be from the USA,

Well, something like 6.8Billion people aren't..
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    Don't do cups of measuring in the UK. My scales cost me under £10, they measure in grams, that is the only food measuring/weighing I use.

Well but we do actually, or did.

I remember learning to bake by adding level, heaped or rounded spoons of flour, sugar * etc. My mother had a set of scales but measured in spoons and cups and that's what she taught me - a rounded tablespoon of flour was approximately an ounce. I can still guess an ounce of butter almost by eye (Stick?????) At school I learned imperial measurements. But now I use metric weights because I'm surrounded by them and used to them and trust them.

ed: * try measuring a heaped spoon of sugar, go on try! :laugh: