The most bang for your buck - 400 Calories or less

Options

Replies

• MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Trying to start a fun thread:

If you had only 400 calories left at the end of the day for dinner, what would you eat to get the most bang for your buck (a.k.a what will make you feel the most full on 400 cals)?

I'm asking this because I sometimes end up with 400-500 cals left in my daily total and am running out of ideas..

I would make a breakfast for dinner (one of my favorites):

-2 fried eggs: 180 calories
    - 1 piece of whole-grain toast: 80 calories
    - 3 strips of turkey bacon - 75 calories
    - 1 tbs sugar free raspberry jam: 25 calories

Grand total: 360 calories

My biggest go-to! I love breakfast for dinner. Or anytime. lol

I do a lot of one egg & three egg white omelets OR four egg whites with lots of veggies (often mushrooms, spinach, and zucchini, but it all depends on what I have and what sounds good) and a little bit of cheese (an ounce of cheddar or pepperjack OR a tablespoon of shredded parmesan OR a stick of light string cheese). Then I either have a piece of toast, a "sandwich thin" or a cup of shredded hashbrowns. Easily under 400 calories and super filling.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Alcohol and some kind of tuna/squash thing to satisfy the drunken munchies if that floats your boat. Word of warning: anything that involves cutting back on carbs has the potential to make that same two drinks go further than you remember, even if said cutting back is on the conservative side. Increasing exercise can do more of the same.

Ain't that the truth! I have only lost 35 pounds and while I used to be the Whiskey Girl who could outdrink all the boys and seriously maintain, I know find that I actually have to be careful. I have slept on a few couches lately. Good thing I'm very careful about who I drink with!!
  • hilaryhill
    hilaryhill Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and jelly sammich. :)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Recent fave:

2 slices of Rudi's sourdough
    1 link applegate's sausage thinly sliced and split between the slices
    10 g Parmesan sprinkled on top of each slice

Toast until Parm is golden brown and sausage is sizzling and a little crispy on the edges.

Yum.

You even have enough left over Cals to VERY LIGHTLY butter the bread on one side, which I highly recommend. Nice boost to the flavor.
  • JanAlyssa825
    JanAlyssa825 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Recent favorites:

7 ounces Steelhead trout (tastes like salmon, but fewer calories and more sustainable) baked with jarred bruschetta sauce on top, plus a salad on the side.

4 ounces 96% lean ground beef cooked with onions, some seasonings, and a little salsa, served on a bed of lettuce with tomato, avocado, some light shredded cheese, and a dressing made with 2 tbsp lite sour cream and 1 tbsp salsa.

A ground turkey burger made with chopped zucchini, served on lettuce and topped with a mix of red onions, mozzarella, and tomatoes in balsamic dressing. Yum!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Well, since I like to have an after dinner snack as well, to get the most out of the 400 calories I would do....
    for dinner - a huge spinach salad with strawberries, sliced almonds, reduced fat blue cheese, and light zinfandel vinaigrette - 138 calories
    then for my post dinner "snack" - 1c of plain nonfat greek yogurt, with 1tbsp peanut butter, and 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder - 270 calories

408 calories total - and I'm full and happy
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Two big apples (220cals) and rest I'd finish in chocolate (the 90% kind) while drinking coke zero.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    8oz New York Strip Steak
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    6 egg white omelet with a cup of mushrooms and some onion... about 150 calories, which lets you have whatever other "crap" you want to eat for the remaining 150-250 calories.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    2 huge homemade burgers.
  • mrswine
    mrswine Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I would do a whole eggplant, lightly breaded 1/3 cup whole wheat bread crumbs, and baked. Top with marinara and a tiny sprinkle of cheese. Yum. So much food for less than 400 calories
  • Dottie27
    Dottie27 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Great thread-thanks! This is my latest favorite. Add protein and use veggies on hand. Salad lasts a couple of days in refrigerator.

Healthier Version Broccoli Salad
    8 -2 ¼ C servings, each serving approximately 172 calories

7 c chopped raw broccoli
    ½ c chopped onion (I used green onions)
    ½ c chopped/shredded carrots
    ½ c chopped radishes, celery or combination of other veggies
    8 slices cooked bacon crumbled
    1 c reduced fat cheddar cheese

Dressing:
    2/3 C Greek yogurt
    1/3 C Kraft Mayo with Olive Oil
    8 t. sugar
    3T apple cider vinegar
    Pepper to taste
  • jwuchef87
    jwuchef87 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Creative_Sam
    Creative_Sam Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Chicken Chilli with rice

Chicken tortilla with avo and veg

Always a coke zero - the bubbles fill me up!
  • mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    YUM! Bump for later
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Eggs (size and type varies we have a regular farmers market but normally 2 medium/large chicken/duck) some meat or fish (Only tuna really, not a fishy person but sometimes prawns or cod) a little cheese and some veggies (whatever is lying around in the fridge that needs using up really lol). Normally comes in anywhere between 300 and 600 and is super, super filling. Sometimes I might have a wrap or a slice of bread with it but more often then not I don't. :happy:
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    8oz New York Strip Steak
    Peanut butter and jelly sammich. :)
    One of these, pending on the type of deliciousness I'm hungry for
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    usually go with breakfast for dinner...

2x eggs - 180
    3x 4" pancakes - 150

or just a 3 egg omelet and some cheese..
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Half a bottle of red wine and an olive.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    100g of this

1338221500-87057700.jpg

Bwahahahaha! Literally laughed out loud!