Sugar Lovers take note The Rats became addicted

Options

Replies

• scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Just because my 4 old would sell his soul for a handful of Skittles and a half a Snickers bar doesn’t mean that sugar is addictive.

I’m sure there is no absolutely no correlation between the staggering rise in obesity, hypertension, and type 2 diabetes and the fact that Americans went from consuming about 9gs of sugar per day in the 19th century to consuming 155gs per day in 2012.

Correlation is not causation soooooooooo.
    Come back with science
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Interesting theories.

I know some people are making fun of this but rats are used in psychological behavioural experiments because their brains are similar to ours.

Not because it would be unethical to conduct "potentially harmful" studies on humans?
  • scottaworley
    Options
    Ritch weighs 20 pounds less than me and he's got a good 15 pounds of muscle more than me. Yeah.. underachiever.

Ritch is a NEET (UK Government coined term 'Not in Education, Employment or Training') and doesn't want a job. Not exactly someone I'd make a poster of to hand out to kids as a fine example of one of life's achievers. There's more to life than looking good in a tight t-shirt.

He's also not giving advice about anything but fitness. Respect where respect is due.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Just because my 4 old would sell his soul for a handful of Skittles and a half a Snickers bar doesn’t mean that sugar is addictive.

I’m sure there is no absolutely no correlation between the staggering rise in obesity, hypertension, and type 2 diabetes and the fact that Americans went from consuming about 9gs of sugar per day in the 19th century to consuming 155gs per day in 2012.

What's the difference between 9g of sugar and 155g of sugar?

155g of sugar is more calories.

I eat 100-150g of sugar a day, probably more most days - I was at 9-10% bodyfat at my lowest, sup?
    I am kind of curious...Where you are located do they allow the same ingredients that the U.S allows over here? Just for my knowledge, not trying counter argue any your previous statements.
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Humans=/= Rats.

Human nutritional studies are completely unreliable because the variables cannot be controlled. So they tend to rely on food diaries and surveys.

Mice and rats have been used for 100s of years for research. Dismissing any study because it used animals shows a complete lack of understanding of science and research.

Here is a short list of some of the medical benefits that came from animals used in medical studies and research:

http://www.amprogress.org/animal-research-benefits

Yes, but most animal models are for legal purposes only or have no bearings at all on humans. I read a study on starved cats in nursing school for my nutrition course. They systematically and slowly starved cats and published the results in a HUMAN medical journal. Even a first semester nursing student like myself who was still doing prereq knew cats and humans have totally different reactions to starvation. Yet, these people got research money and were published. That is why I am against animal models.

I 100% do not believe this and would need to see a link. Animal testing is regulated and this kind of study would never be allowed. Everyone also knows in the medical field that animal testing has to come before human studies. Cochlear implants were tested first on animals, as were experimental cancer drugs (one of which my FIL is taking) and many other life saving medications. It is a law that these types of drugs be tested in animals first. I have never met anyone in the medical field "against" the animal model because it is the first step. I've worked in the medical field for 10 years and have never seen anyone say this before because it's a ridiculous notion.

Yes, it is regulated but that does not mean it is well regulated. Just because there are guidelines in procedure does not mean their are parameters in what those guidelines can be used on. I read this study 13 years ago so could not cite it properly here. (I note you can not cite your position either?) but believe me, they do repeated testing on animals for just about all makeup, lotions and drugs we use daily. They are still using animal models to cover their *kitten* from that whole saccharin/tumor thing with the unrelated Sprague rats all those years ago. And, if you have never met anyone in the medical field who is against animal models you have a very narrow number of contacts. Just because the law says we must use animal models to test does not mean those tests always translate well to humans. I will reference one way they consistently use animal models that is totally useless. They overdose animals, to the point of bursting their stomachs, and then use those results as a bases for human dosing. Clearly not one sane human has ever taken that much of any drug. Do I need to go into the difference in metabolism and body chemistry to further my point? Animal models are mostly a legal issues these days and a way to get published. It serves very little practical purpose.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    There's also more to life than working a 9-5 job and earning money when I don't need to, we all end up under the ground regardless. You make it sound like I want to be some kind of role-model or want to be a posterboy or something?

I'm sure you no more want to be a poster-boy than the average Jeremy Kyle guest Ritch, unfortunately those of us who prop up the country's economy have quite an interest in flushing out the underclass and getting them to do something useful with their lives.

But let's be perfectly honest here, its the same middle aged people every time that try and attack me, but it's ok, I understand you are conditioned by society anyway.

Yes, we're conditioned to get off our backsides and contribute to society. Try it sometime :smile:
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Food is addictive. Don't know about you guys, but I can't live without...
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options

What's the difference between 9g of sugar and 155g of sugar?

155g of sugar is more calories.

I eat 100-150g of sugar a day, probably more most days - I was at 9-10% bodyfat at my lowest, sup?
    I am kind of curious...Where you are located do they allow the same ingredients that the U.S allows over here? Just for my knowledge, not trying counter argue any your previous statements.

I am Located in the United Kingdom
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    There's also more to life than working a 9-5 job and earning money when I don't need to, we all end up under the ground regardless. You make it sound like I want to be some kind of role-model or want to be a posterboy or something?

I'm sure you no more want to be a poster-boy than the average Jeremy Kyle guest Ritch, unfortunately those of us who prop up the country's economy have quite an interest in flushing out the underclass and getting them to do something useful with their lives.

But let's be perfectly honest here, its the same middle aged people every time that try and attack me, but it's ok, I understand you are conditioned by society anyway.

Yes, we're conditioned to get off our backsides and contribute to society. Try it sometime :smile:

Strong disregard for the other posters that had targeted you.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    This the dumbest thread I ever painstakingly read through. Y'all sound like squabbling toddlers.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

I take nothing from society so why does it matter? I don't claim benefits and I get on with my own life - I can see you're not truly happy with yours though despite what you say hehe.

You're the kind of person who thinks the news is truthful and believes it, you're the kind of person who would blame immigrants for something, you're the kind of person who is just like almost every other sheep in the United Kingdom.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

Come back with science

For centuries people used the same logic to argue against the danger of tobacco.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

Come back with science

For centuries people used the same logic to argue against the danger of tobacco.

irrelevant.
  • lovingangel4uau
    lovingangel4uau Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This explains everything you will need to know and more.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    This explains everything you will need to know and more.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

No, no it does not.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Okay, maybe it is addictive. Where's the problem?????
  • scottaworley
    Options

Come back with science

And then they came back with science.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

Come back with science

And then they came back with science.

Yes, they came "back with science", which indeed proved a correlation between tobacco and lung disease. It is amazing when scientific proof catches up with common sense.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I take nothing from society so why does it matter? I don't claim benefits and I get on with my own life - I can see you're not truly happy with yours though despite what you say hehe.

You don't? So you never use health services? Public transport? No pavements, street lights, refuse collection or emergency services where you live? You never went to school to enjoy the 'free' education? Never been to the council gym or pool? I'm guessing that you can't answer 'NO' to all those questions ergo you do take from society and you're giving nothing back in the form of taxes to pay for any of that stuff as you don't fancy working.

You're the kind of person who thinks the news is truthful and believes it, you're the kind of person who would blame immigrants for something, you're the kind of person who is just like almost every other sheep in the United Kingdom.

No, I'm the kind of person who's fed up to the back teeth of the minority of young people in the UK who sit on their backsides, not working, not contributing a damn thing to society and yet seem to be bristling with misplaced arrogance. When you actually have to pay your way in life you'll probably get a bit fed up of people like you too.

Now I can't knock your weight loss/fitness but I certainly can knock the rest of your existence and I'm doing so because time after time in thread after thread I've seen you be unpleasant, ridiculing and arrogant to others....so I'm just here to point out that outside of this little MFP pond, you're more of a tadpole floundering in a rapidly drying side pool than a big fish :wink:
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

You don't? So you never use health services? Public transport? No pavements, street lights, refuse collection or emergency services where you live? You never went to school to enjoy the 'free' education? Never been to the council gym or pool? I'm guessing that you can't answer 'NO' to all those questions ergo you do take from society and you're giving nothing back in the form of taxes to pay for any of that stuff as you don't fancy working.

No, I'm the kind of person who's fed up to the back teeth of the minority of young people in the UK who sit on their backsides, not working, not contributing a damn thing to society and yet seem to be bristling with misplaced arrogance. When you actually have to pay your way in life you'll probably get a bit fed up of people like you too.

Now I can't knock your weight loss/fitness but I certainly can knock the rest of your existence and I'm doing so because time after time in thread after thread I've seen you be unpleasant, ridiculing and arrogant to others....so I'm just here to point out that outside of this little MFP pond, you're more of a tadpole floundering in a rapidly drying side pool than a big fish :wink:

I don't use public transport, can't even remember the last time I used a health service.

Pavements don't have to be there, that is just LAND that someone decided to put some concrete, it belongs to no-one, stop being so pathetic. I have my own gym, I don't go swimming.

It just shows for a start you don't understand the "minority" of young people, and you're just so blind to the world. Perhaps you should take a look at our "leaders" instead, and the destruction they are causing to our country and others. I don't even expect you to even begin to understand, you're old.
This discussion has been closed.