coconut oil, yay or nay?

Options
Who here takes coconut oil as a supplement? for a while I was taking a spoonful in the morning for health benefits.

Those that do take it, do you count the calories as part of your daily allowance? I do.

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I cook with it and use it for massage oil. Never been much of a fan of straight spooning the stuff.
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I take it and i don't count it.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I like to take it and rub it all over my meat. You know....before I grill it. Helps to keep it tender.

"The next step is to rub some melted or very soft cooking fat all over the steaks. Clarified butter, tallow, lard and coconut oil are all good options.."

http://paleodietlifestyle.com/art-of-cooking-steak/
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I rub it all over my meat as well..
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I rub it all over my... hair. And use it as a makeup remover. I also might stick a teaspoonful in if I'm baking butternut squash. It's great stuff :smile:
  • myfrogs11
    myfrogs11 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm not very good at keep up with stuff, but I took about a tablespoon every morning for about a week and I noticed my fingers around the nails were better looking, not dry and tearing like usual. I haven't kept up with it and my nails and nail skin is back to dry and blah again.
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Who here takes coconut oil as a supplement? for a while I was taking a spoonful in the morning for health benefits.

Those that do take it, do you count the calories as part of your daily allowance? I do.

I use it daily in my morning coffee, as well as cook/bake with it. I include it in my calorie/macro allowances.
  • vet272
    vet272 Posts: 183
    Options
    It's fabulous stuff. Very good for you but also very calorific. So if you're going to use it then you're kidding yourself if you're tracking calories but not including it in the equation.

I take a tablespoon every day and find I get an energy hit from it
    I oil pull every morning. My guns have never been in such good condition.
    I moisturise daily with it.
    I condition my hair with it once a week.
    Etc!!!

Try it!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I rub it all over my... hair.
    me too. i use it as a conditioner about twice a month (when i remember). it's also amazingly great when the soles of your feet are all cracked and dry - slather it on, cover with cotton socks go to sleep and wake up to amazing smooth feet.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I use it for cooking and if I counted calories, I would definitely count it.
    Whenever I use it in a marinade for grilling, hubby says we get lots of gas fires, so I don't do that anymore :laugh:
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I went through a phase, swore by it for cooking and skin care and all points in-between, used to chug it by the tablespoon 'for energy', still got half a jar of it in the cupboard.

Not knocking it and I understand why people use it (high flash point, moisturising, etc) but it was a phase for me ... Dropping the fat quite happily without it right now and being a superficial b'stard that is good enough for me. ;)
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    DP
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options

I don't use it as a supplement but if I need to fry something, I use CO over canola/vegetable oil. I will use it to fry corn tortilla's tonight!
    I rub it all over my... hair.
    I've done that too. And feet! Nice moisturizer.
  • Kxgz
    Kxgz Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I use it as a cooking oil and keep a separate jar in the bathroom for my daily face wash/makeup remover. Love that stuff! And I log it when I use it.....only in cooking of course : )
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I use it for diaper rash on my baby boy -- only thing that works! Couldn't stomach the thought of straight up spooning it though!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I add a half tbs to my protein shake. I include it in my count. Good fat.

My wife uses it when she makes a no sugar added banana bread.
    We use it when cooking fish too.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    love it, best oil ever!! so good for you
  • VegGalD6
    VegGalD6 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan but also wanted to hear what others say. I will take a 1/2 tsp when I cook with it and eat that straight. I love the taste! I also bought a powder to add to my morning shakes and it suggests adding a tbsp to the shake. I also count it in my calories. Love the stuff!
  • jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Nay for me. It's too expensive and I don't like coconut, plus I have a hard time not eating too much fat as it is.