Replies

• PurpleRo
    PurpleRo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi GM you need to change up ur workout... good luck let me know how it goes
  • Nikusz
    Nikusz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    also, when you say the scale is not moving, can you add since when? from Nov 2011? or do you refer to a shorter period?
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Change it up! Running is about adaptation. If you do something often, eventually you become more efficient and as a consequence burn less energy doing it.

You can break the adaptation cycle somewhat by changing up your workouts... make sure you run a good variety of Hills, Intervals and Long Slow runs. Aim for a high intensity during your workouts where possible. Likely the best measure of intensity is via Heart Rate Monitor.

Adding in some cross training or strength training never hurts a runner either. You get stronger, you get faster and you work alternate muscle groups. A consequence of having more muscle is that you burn more energy.

I can't and won't comment on your diet other than suggest you keep a well balanced diet and are hitting all your required vitamins and minerals.

Good Luck!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Change it up! Running is about adaptation. If you do something often, eventually you become more efficient and as a consequence burn less energy doing it.

You can break the adaptation cycle somewhat by changing up your workouts... make sure you run a good variety of Hills, Intervals and Long Slow runs. Aim for a high intensity during your workouts where possible. Likely the best measure of intensity is via Heart Rate Monitor.

Adding in some cross training or strength training never hurts a runner either. You get stronger, you get faster and you work alternate muscle groups. A consequence of having more muscle is that you burn more energy.

I can't and won't comment on your diet other than suggest you keep a well balanced diet and are hitting all your required vitamins and minerals.

Good Luck!

You can burn *slightly* less calories doing the same running workout repeatedly, but it's still physics- it takes a certain amount of energy to move a certain amount of mass over a certain distance. There's no way any adaptation would account for the gap between her distance and her reported calories.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options

Good Luck!

You can burn *slightly* less calories doing the same running workout repeatedly, but it's still physics- it takes a certain amount of energy to move a certain amount of mass over a certain distance. There's no way any adaptation would account for the gap between her distance and her reported calories.

Disagree... when I first started running my HR was significantly higher than it is now running the same distance at a similar pace.
    We are talking 20-30% higher. As your body adapts to an exercise, it becomes easier. For example... if I were to run for 30 minutes when I started running my heart rate was about 175... my calorie burn was approx. 1200 calories per hour. My heart rate now seldom exceeds 140... all other things being equal, my calorie burn would be about 875. That's close to a 30% difference. I now need to work significantly harder to have the same calorie burn.
  • PunkinSpice79
    PunkinSpice79 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me, OP. When I exercise, my body just won't lose, but let me stop for a week or two and I'll drop weight like magic. I don't understand it.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Up your calories and incorporate some weights.
  • Beastmode454
    Beastmode454 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    EATING WAY TO LITTLE.
  • Beastmode454
    Beastmode454 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'M @190 on average and i need about 2200 cals thats with my deficit.