I want a dog....

Options
Just thinking 'out loud'.....want to get a dog....

buuuuutttt.....

What kind? Will I have enough time? Will I have enough space? How long until its housbroken? Will I crate train? Will my kids pull its tail? Will it eat my couch, running shoes, iPod, computer cord, extension cord, woodwork, rug? When it eats said items how much will it cost to have them remove from its stomach? Will it learn to run with me on a leash? Will it bark too much (too little)?

And on and on and on and on....

buuuuutttt.....

They are so damned cute, lovable and fun!!

Yup...I think I'll get a dog....:heart:

Replies

• choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I suggest and recommend Japanese Spitz Dog, they are very loyal,friendly,playful,loving,caring & sweet,, also good for guard dog, they will risk everything just to defend the house or the owner,, trust me,,, search it on google for more information and me is the evidence because i have a japanese spitz dog :)
  • horrorstory
    horrorstory Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Adopt! There are tons of dogs who need homes.
    Loyal to the end, friendly and the best friend anyone could have.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Greyhounds make amazing family pets.
  • tc41586
    tc41586 Posts: 136 Member
    Options

Adopt! Skip the puppy stage if you are concerned about housetraining, chewing, etc... that is part of a puppy that you have to accept.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    adopt a younger dog and skip the puppy stage. It's BS that you need to get a dog as a baby for it to bond with the family. We have a German Shepherd, he is the most patient loyal protective dog. The kids can do whatever to him, he alerts me when the baby cries (she's 8 weeks old) and he keeps up with the boys when we go hiking/camping. He's getting older and every day I wish we had not got him neutered because I would love so much to be able to let him have pups now, keep his lines going.
  • SergeantG
    Options

That is a really good idea! :smile:
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options

Adopt! Skip the puppy stage if you are concerned about housetraining, chewing, etc... that is part of a puppy that you have to accept.

QFT

Adopted my dog from the shelter when he was 1 and a half years old. He was still a puppy (he's a large-breed male and they don't stop growing until about 3 years), but he was house-trained and past the chewing stage.
  • OptimisticlyOptimistic
    Options
    I just got another dog this weekend (we also have a boxer - she's happy to have a new buddy). It was not planned though. A friend of a friend had a stroke and was unable to take care of her 1 year old pup - our friends took him in, but their Mastiffs are having puppies in two weeks and will have their hands full - and my husband asked if we could have Jake, aka: Silky. He's such a honey, very well behaved - we have gotten very lucky with both our dogs. Our Boxer MJ is a rescue - she was older when we got her (8). She was a puppy mill *****. Lived her whole life in a kennel. We couldn't have asked for a better dog. She's so sweet and loving. Well behaved. Very Loyal. Doesn't bark (not that she's not able to). We totally lucked out. You'll find what you're looking for. I think rescue is the way to go! Good luck!!
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I recommend fostering from a local shelter first. It will give you the opportunity to see if your family is suited for a dog and if you can be responsible pet owners (cleaning the yard, walking, feeding, playing, etc). Often times the shelter has already housebroken animals so that part isn't so difficult. The only downfall of fostering is getting attached and having to let go but if you get especially attached to one, you adopt it!

The best way to keep a dog from chewing / eating stuff they shouldn't is to make sure they are getting enough play time and providing appropriate toys for them to chew on and play with. Go to your local pet store and check out the wide selection. In addition, I recommend an obedience class. Teaching them that you are the "alpha" of the pack is very important.

Good luck! BTW - pit bulls are amazing dogs and there is a high need for fostering / adoption with this breed due to their unwarranted bad reputation. Make sure the shelter knows you have kids and what ages they are so they can match you with one that is kid friendly.
  • SergeantG
    Options

Good luck! BTW - pit bulls are amazing dogs and there is a high need for fostering / adoption with this breed due to their unwarranted bad reputation. Make sure the shelter knows you have kids and what ages they are so they can match you with one that is kid friendly.

Yeah...I might have to pass on the Pit Bull...got attacked by one last month (and a set of rabies shots to go with it), kind of gun shy with that breed right now :noway: :laugh:
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Visit a shelter and rescue your next best friend. Will be amazing for both of you! :heart:
  • Follow_me
    Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I wish you the best of luck with that.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Research the breed that will fit your lifestyle and family. So many people get dogs because they look cute but get upset when the dogs do things they are naturally bred for.. i.e. shed, bark, dig, run away etc.... Then they give the dog away to shelter because it is not what they expect. Not fair to the dog.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Adopt from a kill shelter. My dogs both came from there. One was 4 months old, already house broken. The next one I got she was 2 years old. Obviously already house trained. We're bonded, she's bonded with the other dog and my cat. Oh and she's a pit bull. But I understand if you were attacked how you might be gun shy. Just remember, it's all in how they are raised, not the breed. ANY dog could have attacked. My neighbor had a very animal aggressive dog and it was not a pit.

Good luck. Just remember, puppy or adult dog, they all take work but are so worth it! :)
  • CaliforniaBarbie
    CaliforniaBarbie Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    What kind? Will I have enough time? Will I have enough space? How long until its housbroken? Will I crate train? Will my kids pull its tail? Will it eat my couch, running shoes, iPod, computer cord, extension cord, woodwork, rug? When it eats said items how much will it cost to have them remove from its stomach? Will it learn to run with me on a leash? Will it bark too much (too little)?

lol okay i have the worlds most pushy puppy, he is now a over a year and still very pushy. his name is alpha, he is a pit bull, lab mix, i got him at barely 4 weeks old. and i love my little man, now 75 pounds and still growing. he ate everything! my brand new $4000 couch set, totally ruined. countless pairs of shoes.
    at the time i got him me and my older brother were living together, and he had his pit bull, that totally loved having a pup around, we had a huge house and deck but no yard, they didnt really mind though. he never took up much room, for a big dog, he was well behaved but more stubborn then me, and thats saying something lol. he is very very smart, at 4 months he taught himself how to open doors to let himself in and out, but refused to be potty trained, until he got neutered at 6 months. i didnt crate train because my bros dog got to run free in the house and alpha flipped if he couldnt play with deebo. he ate countless cords, chargers, clothes, towels, shoes, shoes, and did i mention shoes? he loves to eat wood, and eats his stairs to the back yard daily. i never had to have anything removed from his stomach he just processed it on his own, even as a young buck. he very seldom barks ever even as a puppy he was rather quit, deebo taught him to guard the house, although if you gave him a milkbone he would let you take whatever you wanted. he would rather be free to run, but he is fine on a leash or runner, although now he shares a yard with his new sister. he sleeps on his bed, or with mama if daddy isnt home.
    he destroyed so many things but i wouldnt give him up for anything, dogs are your best friend, and furry child
  • alpdexplorer
    alpdexplorer Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I would definitely adopt.

There are tons of dogs needing homes and then you won't have to worry about the "puppy stage."

I took my dog in when she was 3 and she's loyal as ever. Definitely a mommy's girl. <3

She's a Border Collie mixed with a bit of Akita. LOVE her.
  • nmkolts
    nmkolts Posts: 3
    Options
    I believe Welsh Corgis are very good with kids, and they're very protective of their families. They don't really drool or make huge messes, and they're fairly small.

Don't get me wrong, I love big dogs, and if you can adopt that's even better. It's funny that this topic showed up because my husband and I are debating on whether or not this is a good time to get a dog, and that's the one I'll be getting <3
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Not sure how old your kids are but my kids love our dogs. We have two small dogs - a Meagle and a Chi. My oldest is almost 9 and actually likes having the responsiblity of feeding them and taking them out (we have 4 kids and sometimes they even fight). My youngest has ADHD and his best friend is our active Meagle! This is not to say it's not more work or more mouths to feed but they have been a good addition to our family!
  • antipanic
    Options
    Will it eat my couch, running shoes, iPod, computer cord, extension cord, woodwork, rug?

Yes.

But you will love it anyway.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options

I just did this in Feb. Got a one-year old pup, who was already house trained which was perfect because I have a 2 year old and didn't want him wandering around where newspapers were down, nor could i provide the attention to train her. She was also semi-crate trained (now fully), and is such a sweet girl.