I want a dog....

Options

Replies

• TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

Good luck! BTW - pit bulls are amazing dogs and there is a high need for fostering / adoption with this breed due to their unwarranted bad reputation. Make sure the shelter knows you have kids and what ages they are so they can match you with one that is kid friendly.

Yeah...I might have to pass on the Pit Bull...got attacked by one last month (and a set of rabies shots to go with it), kind of gun shy with that breed right now :noway: :laugh:

boooo. they're my favorite breed so I hate it when their owners allow and encourage (even inadvertently) that to happen. really sorry to hear that, they are GREAT dogs. I've been bitten by far more chihuahuas than pits.

I concur with the adopting, plus then you know exactly what the dog's temperament is. it's not always easy to tell with a puppy.
  • carterjerm
    Options
    Adopt! There are tons of dogs who need homes.
    Loyal to the end, friendly and the best friend anyone could have.

This for sure, we have 2 we adopted and they are both great dogs!
  • CaliforniaBarbie
    CaliforniaBarbie Posts: 346 Member
    Options

Good luck! BTW - pit bulls are amazing dogs and there is a high need for fostering / adoption with this breed due to their unwarranted bad reputation. Make sure the shelter knows you have kids and what ages they are so they can match you with one that is kid friendly.

Yeah...I might have to pass on the Pit Bull...got attacked by one last month (and a set of rabies shots to go with it), kind of gun shy with that breed right now :noway: :laugh:

maybe visit the shelter and get to know a good pit bull, i understand being a little gun shy. i have only ever been attacked by rottweilers, they all hate me, so im not to keen with those kind.
    but ive met the worlds nicest dogs and have them be pit, and ive met some mean ones (which tended to be owned by low life drug dealers) but i would highly suggest a rescue. our second dog layla is a pit bull Shepard mix and i rescued her straight from the family. she was shaddy at first but is a totally different dog since living here.
    and we just got a miniature poodle, hes a handfull
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    SO, YES to all of your questions. Definitely adopt. Do NOT use a pet store. That way you and your family can get to know the dog and make sure you make a good decision. Consider a dog 2+ as well, easier than a puppy!
  • kevinjb1
    kevinjb1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Adopt! There are tons of dogs who need homes.
    Loyal to the end, friendly and the best friend anyone could have.

Adopt! Skip the puppy stage if you are concerned about housetraining, chewing, etc... that is part of a puppy that you have to accept.

QFT

Adopted my dog from the shelter when he was 1 and a half years old. He was still a puppy (he's a large-breed male and they don't stop growing until about 3 years), but he was house-trained and past the chewing stage.

I adopted a Golden/ Sheltie mix about 7 months ago and I love him, but make sure you know the dog's past because mine was obviously abused. He's skittish and scared of new people or sounds and may always be.
  • JennieCakes72
    JennieCakes72 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Rescue a dog! There are so many dogs/pups that need homes!! Probably a rescue right in your area. I got a rescue pup in January and she is great!
  • ashandloggiesmom
    ashandloggiesmom Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Please, please adopt! We tried a puppy, had to give it to a family member as I did not have the time or patience to deal with EVERYTHING you listed. Waited a year and adopted a three year old lab/boxer mix, he is perfection in a dog. Trained, housebroken, the love of our family. He is as bonded to us as a puppy would have been maybe more because he knows we saved him. And the walks two times a day are helping me with my weight loss.
  • CindyRip
    CindyRip Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I vote adopt one also - but the idea to foster to see if the dog fits with your family is a great one. I foster dogs and even tho I was not looking 2 caught my heart so my family now has 5 dogs. Familiarize yourself with any breed you are thinking about getting, each breed has different traits and stay away from ones that have traits you do not want, aka tiny dogs have a tendency to be more noisy as well as beagles. Labs and hunting dogs can have a tendency to roam unless well trained because they follow their nose. Do not get a pup or dog because it is cute, get one because it's breed traits fits into your family and you will be happier with your dog. Dogs can add a lot to your life but they take work, if you don't have time to spend with it, to keep up it's training then wait until you can so that both of you have a happy experience.
  • Melissa_mojo
    Melissa_mojo Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Just thinking 'out loud'.....want to get a dog....

buuuuutttt.....

What kind? Will I have enough time? Will I have enough space? How long until its housbroken? Will I crate train? Will my kids pull its tail? Will it eat my couch, running shoes, iPod, computer cord, extension cord, woodwork, rug? When it eats said items how much will it cost to have them remove from its stomach? Will it learn to run with me on a leash? Will it bark too much (too little)?

And on and on and on and on....

buuuuutttt.....

They are so damned cute, lovable and fun!!

Yup...I think I'll get a dog....:heart:

I volunteer with the florida french bulldog rescue i take in unwanted or surrendered bullies and rehab them then they get adopted out. Any breed you go with you can google a rescue and usually they have a site. Rescues usually are trained evaluated and house broken before being adopted so you know exactly what your getting. Plus its helping a pup get a new home :) Currently I have a foster that is awesome house broken potty trained leash trained knows tricks and good with my daughter her name is karma and will be going up for adoption soon :-)
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Not sure how far you are from me but I have a gorgeous mixed breed dog that is adorable, friendly and great with kids, he is a little skiddish at first to new people but warms up quickly.
    He is a puppy from my dogs litter that I didn't get rid of but I am moving soon so he will need to find a good home.
    He is boston terrier/corgi/boxer mix he is a sandy brown color he is about 25 to 30lbs full grown and he just turned a year.
    He has his shots but needs to be neutered if desired. I am sure that he could be crate trained.
  • SergeantG
    Options
    What kind? Will I have enough time? Will I have enough space? How long until its housbroken? Will I crate train? Will my kids pull its tail? Will it eat my couch, running shoes, iPod, computer cord, extension cord, woodwork, rug? When it eats said items how much will it cost to have them remove from its stomach? Will it learn to run with me on a leash? Will it bark too much (too little)?

he destroyed so many things but i wouldnt give him up for anything, dogs are your best friend, and furry child

I had a Boxer before I left for Iraq (I had to find him a new home because I was leaving)....and he had: ate the couch cushions, pulled the gutter off the house all the way to the soffiting, destroyed three pairs of shoes, countless end tables, ate my moms pantry shelves in her back room while we went shopping for the day (and then proceeded to tear open every bag of rice, macaroni, and pasta and sling them all down the stairs, open - how we don't know - all laundry detergent bottles at the top of the stairs so that all the liquids ran down the staircase) But I loved him all the way through it!!! He was my little man!
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    We have a Miniature Schnauzer, adopted her when she was 6 months old. She is very smart, listens, learns so quickly and is quiet. She's great with the kids and for the most part with strangers. (all dogs have that 'territorial' instinct I think). She is 6 yrs old now, has never had an accident in the house, and is not a troublemaker.

The only cost to us has been her food, a $60 booster shot each year, and a a $50 haircut about every 5 months.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Research the breed that will fit your lifestyle and family. So many people get dogs because they look cute but get upset when the dogs do things they are naturally bred for.. i.e. shed, bark, dig, run away etc.... Then they give the dog away to shelter because it is not what they expect. Not fair to the dog.

yup

absolutely cannot stand when people pick out a breed by looks or what they assume their disposition to be. I've fostered a couple young labs because people do not realize that their puppy stage can be horrendous... and last well past a year old. plus they need a lot more exercise than most people think!

the key to having a well-behaved dog is exercise and stimulation. no, a well-sized backyard is NOT sufficient - think about it, even in a huge house you'd go crazy if you never went outside of it. make sure the dog gets adequate walks and obedience training and you'll have a great pet.
  • JamieH1984
    JamieH1984 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Both of my dogs are rescues. They are the best because they "know" they are getting a second chance at life. Mixes are generally better (health condition/longevity wise) for some reason. Our first dog was a rescued lab/cocker mix and lived to be almost 21 years old before we put her down due to failing health. Now we have an 11 (adopted when she was 5) year old cocker and a 5 month old mini aussie/beagle mix.

Any breed can be aggressive my neighbor was attacked by 3 Golden Retrievers. My other neighbor has a pit and he's the most loving dog ever. My niece loves him (she's 17 months old) and he loves her too. I used to have the same thought about pitties but I've learned to never judge a dog by his/her breed after both of these instances. Training is key in owning ANY dog though.

And yes they will chew on your stuff but you'll love them anyway ;)
  • Keithfit1
    Keithfit1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Why don't you take me, my name is "Beckham", i give great hugs and am VERY handsome
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I adopted my second dog.....he was already housetrained! He was a bit of a barker but we've worked hard to get him used to living in an apartment. Definitely adopt! Take you time to find a dog that suits your lifestyle. There are lots of rescue agencies out there, some are breed-specific if you want a specific breed. You will feel even more rewarded by doing it this way! As for your kids, you need to teach them the proper way to treat an animal (no pulling, poking, etc.) But they will learn & having a dog is great for kids!
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Another person chiming in on adoption!!! We adopted our 6 month old puppy when she was 12 weeks. Yes, she's a total pain, but totally worth it. She's turned into a sweet little love ball lately that loves to give kisses and be held. Yesterday we adopted a 12 week old kitty too. There's an overwhelming number of great dogs and cats at the shelter.
  • depuydt2011
    depuydt2011 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    if you lived closer I would say to take my dog. He is a stray that we took in but he's to big for us. He's a retired black lab hunting dog and is pretty well trainned. Best part is his personality. He'll carry his ball around everywhere just waiting for you to play with him.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Dogs are awesome animals, I have a handsome Bull Mastiff, hes my baby. As for bad breeds it has nothing to do with the breed it's all about how a dog is raised, theres no bad breeds just bad owners.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I believe Welsh Corgis are very good with kids, and they're very protective of their families. They don't really drool or make huge messes, and they're fairly small.

I have a corgi and they are definitely all of these things (though they do shed a lot, no drooling though)! However, they are crazy smart and get very bored easily, which leads to destructive behavior (and big messes of torn up stuff) so you have to have something for them to do while you can't pay attention to them (kong ball with treats in it, several things to chew on, etc etc). They pick up on training fast but you have to be willing to work with them a lot so they feel stimulated enough. But they are very sweet, loving dogs that will herd your *kitten* around the house until you're where they think you should be :laugh:

This is Waffles, my little sausage roll :)

787f4a37-f313-474a-a053-ec5a047cbbd7_zpsb1c83d5f.jpg

29f9b281-423d-4949-a53c-43ff7514243d_zps011a3a38.jpg

6155e906-abbd-4e65-aefd-fac874ff322b_zpse0c7788a.jpg