Strength Training Challenge

Options

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,107 Member
    Options
    Hello to all! Today included some lower body work and core work. That's all! I think this is going to work for me
    1 day: cardio plus upper body work and core
    then the next day cardio plus lower body work and core. And then I'll just keep alternating keeping in mind that my schedule may prohibit doing the work one day a week. I thrive on grooving in on a routine and so far this is looking good.

Wishing everyone well(ness). :bigsmile:

1318022ijwb0qqm8s.gif

Be stronger today than you were yesterday.

Lin in Central Iowa
  • linder4866
    Options
    Upper body, core and lots of cardio today. My day off will be Wednesday this week due to travel.

Just a quick note as I'm on my iPad.

Lin in Central Iowa
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I gave myself a thorough workout over the weekend just by being on the boat. You are always moving. I spent my time climbing up and down ladders, pulling lines, and starting the outboard engine motor on the dinghy to take the dog ashore. I also spent some time rowing the dog ashore. The dog goes ashore frequently.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Actually made it to the gym this morning while dd is at work. Have completed my 3rd elephant, contest ends the end of this month. Might get another half in but doubt I'll complete a fourth.

Today:

Ladies exercise class..........40 min of exercises, held 3lb. weights in each hand for each exercise I could
    Machines:
    Triceps press......................60lbs...........12reps
    Seated pushdown..............70lbs.............10reps
    Leg press............................110lbs..........35reps
    Diverging lat pulldown..........70lbs...........7reps
    Standing calf........................70lbs............30reps

My total weight lifted for the past 2 1/2 months is a little over 83,000lbs........maybe, just maybe, I'll hit 100,000!!!

To those considering joining this challenge:

"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.".............Arthur Ashe
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Did a Jari Love Ripped to the Core strength training DVD today - lots of compound moves...mostly lower and upper body combined with some ab work. I copied the dumbells she used for each set of moves (depending on the exercises: 5, 8 or 10 in each hand). She incorporates a step so it makes it more challenging (e.g. do your shoulder presses while stepping on and off a step - definitely gets the heart rate up there).

so for those looking for ideas - you can check out youtube for free strength training videos. I like circuit training (mixing cardio in with strength) because you get more calorie burn. There are a number of Jillian Michaels videos posted, but also check out Jessica Smith she has her own channel and has loads of free videos (cardio, strength, stretching)...her website makes suggestions depending on your level: beginner, intermediate or advanced. I also like the 10lbs down videos with Chris Freytag. Jennette Jenkins Hollywood workouts are on there and there is a Jackie Warner (I think personal trainer) video too you might want to try. Most all have modifications to make it harder or easier. Let me know if you would like links to any of these - I believe I have them all saved as favorites.

Be strong!

Jodios
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Today I did workout A from stronglifts 5x5. I'm thinking i'm not liking it much. It's just too simple and not enough variety. I will incorporate the exercises into my own routine. So I tried something new and will makeup my own workout 1 or 2 more times this week as well as a cathe Fredrick workout(maybe 1 yoga and 1 tabata). Only 3 more to go to get in the 4 workouts for this week. I added in deadlifts, a few side plank lifts, pushups and some bridges for my butt;) to feel like I got a more complete workout. Hit it hard this week ladies!!
  • linder4866
    Options
    Quick check-in: some lower body work and core. Slow jogged for an hour.

I agree Jodios, there are lots of sources to find strength work. In fact there are so many options it can be overwhelming so I'd say start with people you know and/or the ones Jodios mentioned. Great post!!

Another concept that Cathe F. utilizes is the superset. For example, she does various combinations of triceps overhead extensions (difference counts like four down, two down, pulses) while sitting on a step and then she immediately puts the weight down and does dips where you scoot forward and lower yourself down and up off the edge step again with combinations of 3 down and then small pulses at the bottom. She's great at mixing it up and my triceps are usually screaming for mercy at the end of the set. Then she gets up and gets an elastic band to do triceps kickbacks. Different exercises, little rest between them and different equipment for each exercise.

Best wishes everyone. Okay, another cute thing but I promise I'll stop........

3365780o0fb2eqv0n.gif

Lin in Central Iowa
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I did gym style legs timesaver today. All Cathe's workouts kick my butt. Although i'm quite strong, I don't have great endurance or stamina. I need to make sure i'm getting her workouts in at least once a week to build that up. I haven't done that workout before so that was another new thing this week. Half way to my goal for the week, feels great!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: today is workout number 5 of this challenge.....so far, I am keeping up with three times a week....I like that this challenge works for all of us at our different ages and different fitness levels and also our different tolerance for repetition

.:bigsmile: Right now I am staying with the same routine and increasing my ankle weights one bag at a time after three workouts at one weight.....when I finally get to using all the bags (making a total of 15 pounds on each ankle) then I'll make some changes in the routine.

:flowerforyou: Besides this three times a week strength training, I walk 20,000 or more steps a day which includes line dance classes three days a week.....I'm also working in the yard a few days a week on a project that includes carrying rocks and buckets of dirt.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1433479le3q4a7az6.gif

2157045gp85zev8ri.gif 2157045gp85zev8ri.gif2157045gp85zev8ri.gif 2157045gp85zev8ri.gif 2157045gp85zev8ri.gif2157045gp85zev8ri.gif

hooray for all the members of this challenge

[/quote]
    [/quote]
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Tai chi and yoga this evening.............earlier, danced---found a 40min. video of a Bruno Mars concert on youtube...........love Bruno Mars' voice!!!
  • linder4866
    Options
    Congrats to all on this thread---!!!

I think since I'm approaching this a bit differently (I do cardio every day and then alternate upper and lower body workouts) that I'll just post an update once a week. Too many posts from me I think.

So I'll check in with you in about a week.

Today I did cardio, core, and upper body.

Cheers!!!!

Lin in Central Iowa
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I've been lax on the strength training. Every time I go to the fitness center I come home with a back ache. Not as bad as the first one, but bad enough to be demotivating. I'm supposedly going there to encourage and support DH, who needs it to keep his mobility. He often has excuses. I'm not ready to give up, but I am somewhat discouraged.:frown:

Katla
  • jodios528
    Options
    today was my 2nd strength training session of the week. I'm short on time so did a 30 session using the Sparkpeople bootcamp DVD I got out of the library. I like it because you are moving all the time so it's both cardio and strength. Definitely got a ton of squats in. :laugh:

So here is a new move I got from the DVD:
    Stand with legs wider than hips distance. Hold a light dumbbell or kettle bell in your right hand. Turn your left foot out 90 degrees and your right foot towards the left but only 45 degrees. Bring the weigh up to your shoulder, palm facing forward, elbow pointing down and in close to your body - this is the starting position. Slowly slide your left hand down your left leg towards your knee as you raise your right arm up to the ceiling until your arm is fully extended up. Return to the start - again moving slowly and smoothly. To make it harder keep your right arm fully raised the whole time and you can extend your left hand lower than your knee. For a balance challenge you can look up at your right hand the entire time. Do 8-12 reps on the right and then repeat on the left. Works the core - especially the obliques and your hamstrings.

Katia - do you have trainers at your gym? You might want to ask them to watch you to see if your form is correct. Also, are you trying to lift too much? Maybe you need to switch to some moves that do not strain your back as much. I hope you can figure out how to protect your back so both you and your DH can continue to work out!

Keep up all the great work...you are getting stronger everyday!:drinker:

Jodios :smile: :love: :flowerforyou: :heart: :bigsmile:
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :bigsmile: today is workout number 6 of this challenge....I like the consistency of doing the same thing.....I'm the same way with food----I like routine.

:flowerforyou: today I tried doing my two planks earlier in the routine to see if that made a difference in how long I could last and it seemed to make a difference.....before I was doing both of them at the end of the routine....next time I'll try doing one at the beginning of the routine before I put on the ankle weights and see what difference it makes to have the weights on my ankles.

:flowerforyou: this challenge has made a difference in my focus
    without it, I would have gone and worked in the yard this afternoon but knowing that I would report to you and that I'd made a commitment, I did the strength training.....there isn't time for both on Thursdays because of my dance class in the morning

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1433479le3q4a7az6.gif

2157045gp85zev8ri.gif 2157045gp85zev8ri.gif2157045gp85zev8ri.gif 2157045gp85zev8ri.gif 2157045gp85zev8ri.gif2157045gp85zev8ri.gif

hooray for all the members of this challenge

[/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Monday- Instead of my usual weight training, I moved my classroom. Lifted many boxes and over 400 textbooks! I am counting this as my weight training session. It lasted for 5 hours.

Friday- NROLRW workout #4

I love this because it is keeping me accountable and getting me back into working with weights. I really like doing this, but wasn't making time for it.

Deb A in CNY
  • terrimag
    terrimag Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

Today I did both upper & lower body (I missed 2 days early in the week). My forearm plank time continues to slowly improve... I started at 22.5 seconds (on 8/7/13), today my time was 42.5 seconds.

Keep up the good work! :flowerforyou:

Terri
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this thread.I do belong to a gym for interval water aerobics ,1 hr 4 times a wk.

Have no idea how to start with toning upper/lower body & don't want to appear completely dumb by asking the teens ...:blushing:

What should starting weights be for upper body? Have no idea what to ask about lower body.Re weights used,or band resistance?

Know I need to start with baby steps.Can anyone tell me more? Thanks.Love ready your posts,just not sure what a plank etc is.

Patceoh
  • barbiecat
    Options
    So glad I found this thread.I do belong to a gym for interval water aerobics ,1 hr 4 times a wk.

Have no idea how to start with toning upper/lower body & don't want to appear completely dumb by asking the teens ...:blushing:

What should starting weights be for upper body? Have no idea what to ask about lower body.Re weights used,or band resistance?

Know I need to start with baby steps.Can anyone tell me more? Thanks.Love ready your posts,just not sure what a plank etc is.

Patceoh

:flowerforyou: I started my strength training with the help of a book called "Strong Women Stay Young".....it has a lot of info about why strength training is important and has a section to help you assess your fitness, decide what weight to use, and has a simple starting program that works lots of areas and doesn't require lying down on the floor. I found the book at the library. Another good book is "The New Rules of Lifting for Women"......that encouraged me to strive to use heavier weights with fewer repetitions and to seek to do things that used more than one set us muscles at a time rather than isolating. It helped me to start with lighter weights until I learned how do the lift or whatever and then increase the weight. I do my workout at home and use ankle weights in addition to dumbbells.

Happy lifting :bigsmile: Barbie from NW Washington

1433479le3q4a7az6.gif2157045gp85zev8ri.gif
  • jodios528
    Options

Patceoh

You may want to start trying some of the moves you find with no weights to see how that goes and then try some very light weights: 1, 2 or 3 lbs for upper body and 3, 5 or 7 for lower body. If you can easily do all the reps called for in good form without strain move up on the weights. If you can't then move down.

If you belong to a gym, it is worth having a couple of sessions with a trainer so they can not only help you build a strength training program, but also check your form. In addition to the books that Barbie recommended, you might want to check out some DVD's or go to Youtube (see my earlier post on a bunch of options on that site) so you can be guided through a work out.

Good luck and stick with it. I believe strength training has been a large part of my weight loss success and a new trimmer, stronger body is worth the effort!!!!

Jodios
  • jodios528
    Options
    So I did learn yesterday at my physical that I have an inflamed achilles tendon and bicep tendonitis.:angry: I've got some stretches and exercises to help them heal but until they do I need to be more careful with the strength training. I still plan on aiming for 3 sessions a week (mission accomplished again this week), but I'm going to need to be more prudent about taking up the weights on any bicep or calve related moves:smile:

Today I did Jessica Smith's Total body DVD - I really love it. :heart: It's a mix of cardio, toning and strength training. I kept the weights I've been using vs. going up but I still got a great work out.:drinker:

Keep lifting everyone!:wink::love: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:

Jodios