Why “Clean Eating” is a Myth by Armi Legge

Options

Replies

• JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. My take on "clean": I think that the body would be best served eating what is found only in nature, We didn't eat processed foods when we were hunters and gathers. We ate meat, berries, fruits and vegetables and nuts. We drank only water. I doubt there were many overweight folks back then. That being said, we live in a different time, one with cake and mac and cheese and all and it's delicious, so I won't stop eating it. But that stuff should not be primary in our diet and for a lot of people it is, and there you have the basis for a lot of health problems. Everything in moderation, balanced diet will always be best in my opinion.
    We also had a VERY short life-expectancy - I think back in the hunter gatherer days it was like 30 and even 100 years ago I believe it was closer to 45 (wait, that is my age, if I don't finish this post I may be dead - someone call 911).

Anyway, we are getting to the point of doubling or tripling our life expectancy as a species - so we must not think that the old days were necessarily better. They ate what they could find for 30 years and then they died if they were not eaten by something first.
  • hanwyz
    hanwyz Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    So what is clean eating? Would my home cooked spag bol count as "clean" as it has half a tonne of veg in it and nothing processed? In fact most of my cooking is processed stuff free, does this count as clean? This is how I was taught to cook when I grew up - lots of fresh veggies etc, never really heard the term clean eating until I ended up on this site. So does home cooking count as clean?3
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Alan Agaron has a great article on the subject also.....

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/

And also Layne Norton who thinks Clean Eating vs IIFYM are both wrong :)

http://www.shreddednation.com/clean-eating-vs-iifym-layne-norton/

That article by Alan is Awesome

Although Layne initially says that IIFYM is also wrong, he ends up explaining how it is much better than clean eating, when done right, which most people do.

yeah, i have much the same thoughts on the subject as Layne does. That was a great video.

Watching people who do 80/20 or 90/10 clean eating argue with IIFYM is just ascinine. Most of the time the 20/10 IS the poptarts and ice cream from the IIFYM crowd (and thus they are arguing over different ways of arriving at the same goals).

I do believe inclusionary thinking is a healthier thought process than exclusionary thinking even when the end result is similar.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I haven't been sick once in the last two years... coincidentally, I switched to unprocessed foods (i.e. paleo) two years ago.

I haven't been sick once in the last 10 years. I eat what I want.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I didn't start eating cleaner for weight loss, I did it for overall health. It has worked for me in that area (less stomach issues, depression gone, medications stopped). Weight loss was just a bonus.

ETA: the 80/20 works for me and it's not ever PopTarts and other crap processed foods. The 20% for me is air popped popcorn and non grass fed meats - like when I dine out, I can't be sure their meats were responsibly raised so that falls into my 20% category.
  • MommyisFit
    MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    From the article: "The biggest problem with the idea of “clean eating” is that “clean” has no objective definition."

Seems to me this is the crux of the discussion. Everyone's definition is different. There's a little bit of clean eating = weight loss in the article which I dont think is true in the least or I wouldn't be on MFP!
    I do think that health is such a complicated combination of genetic, lifestyle and environmental factors that for most people who eat a varied diet it's only part of the equation.

For me, it's not "clean" eating I'm interested in, it's good eating. A fresh vegetable from my own garden = good eating and would be "clean" I think in most people's definition. A grass fed beef steak or chicken from the local guy, or eggs from the lady up the road, just taste better. Even if they do no harm when consumed, I can't figure out why products like yogurt, sour cream and peanut butter need so many emulsifiers added, so I choose not to buy things with additives most of the time. To each their own.

Completely agree.
  • ashandloggiesmom
    ashandloggiesmom Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. My take on "clean": I think that the body would be best served eating what is found only in nature, We didn't eat processed foods when we were hunters and gathers. We ate meat, berries, fruits and vegetables and nuts. We drank only water. I doubt there were many overweight folks back then. That being said, we live in a different time, one with cake and mac and cheese and all and it's delicious, so I won't stop eating it. But that stuff should not be primary in our diet and for a lot of people it is, and there you have the basis for a lot of health problems. Everything in moderation, balanced diet will always be best in my opinion.

what was the life span of the average hunter gatherer vs today...?

I know, there was not medical technology like there is today. You got sick you died. Not now. Health can be defined in a lot of different ways, I was focusing on obesity=processed food debate only. Which I don't necessarily believe, because again, you can eat "bad" stuff in moderation and still have good health.
    A lot of the clean eating movement claims if you eat that way you don't get sick ever. So ...

Either way, what they ate had little to do with their lack of obesity. As has been stated, it was all about calories in vs. calories out, even then.

To an extent I agree. But in terms of overall health, not just weight, you have to look at the bigger picture in regards to nutrition. A big part of food is not just for energy, but the nutrients (vitamins and minerals, etc) that come with eating it. You can eat the same calories worth of whole food fruit, veggie, meat, whatever and the same calories worth of say some processed crackers or chips. Calories in and out, sure but do you think your body would prefer the nutrition found in the whole foods, or the somewhat empty calories in the processes food? I think some people are so focused on calories only that they forget to think about anything else, I know I do it myself, but the goal is to be healthy overall, not just to lose weight, or at least that is my goal.

And in regards to not getting sick, no way as long as there are viruses and bacteria, I don't care how much of a health nut you are your gonna get sick sometimes.
  • ElikaCousland
    ElikaCousland Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Life without copious amounts of cheese isn't worth living. That's all I need to know about diet.
    Preach. If I can find a protein powder that mixes well with wine, I'll never eat anything else.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options

Hunter/gatherers burned an insane amount of calories everyday just trying to survive, they rarely had a chance to sit down and rest except when they were sleeping. They also had short lifespans. The energy expenditure of today's society is absurdly low when compared. It has waaaaay more to do with the fact that our society is consuming much much more, and burning much much less, it is not some certain chemical in the processed foods that is causing obesity, it is the fact that people who are obese are running a caloric surplus every single day, the end.
    And I hate to burst everyone's bubble but "whole food" "clean foods" and "organic foods" - yeah - they are all just chemicals too.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    And in regards to not getting sick, no way as long as there are viruses and bacteria, I don't care how much of a health nut you are your gonna get sick sometimes.

I don't get sick. I really don't. I think it's because I'm not a germaphobe and I'm not afraid to touch bathroom doors and stuff. Last week, my boss came to my desk and desperately asked if I was sick because all but two other people in my department were sick.

When the BF gets sick, I don't catch it. When my daughter gets sick, I don't catch it.

I've been this way for a good 10-plus years. I don't know why. My diet has cleaned up in the last five or six years, but before that I really ate like crap, though of course I think nearly everyone eats some fruits and veggies.

I agree about nutrients being important, but you get them from many sources. I doubt anyone ONLY eats food devoid of nutrition. You would die.
  • PheonixRizing
    PheonixRizing Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    bump good article
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Why "healthy" is a Myth: people disagree on the definition of "healthy".

Why "strong" is a Myth: people disagree on the definition of "strong".

I like the guy's catch all - use "common sense" and you'll be ok. Oh yeah, and you might have different needs if you're doing different things. So be sure to satisfy your needs. Oh and if you have a metabolic disorder, you may need to avoid some foods. And hey look here are a bunch of links not exactly saying what I say they say in my 3-word summary, but whatever.

Now back to eating whatever you feel is right for you, because there are a hundred articles supporting whatever you choose.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I doubt there were many overweight folks back then.

Probably not, but not because of what they ate or didn't eat. It was more about availability and the physical exertion necessary to acquire food at all.

Yep. They were walking all the damn time.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Life without copious amounts of cheese isn't worth living. That's all I need to know about diet.
    Preach. If I can find a protein powder that mixes well with wine, I'll never eat anything else.

This is genius. I see a business venture in our future. Shark Tank??
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I doubt there were many overweight folks back then.

Probably not, but not because of what they ate or didn't eat. It was more about availability and the physical exertion necessary to acquire food at all.

Yep. They were walking all the damn time.

Wait...they didn't have cars back then? Bummer, dude.
  • That_car_is_full_of_balloons
    Options
    I have friends from diverse backgrounds who eat clean 95% (I am probably at 80-simply because I cook a ton, love farmer's markets and ancient grains, but I use white flour upon occasion, as well as the devil wheat thins or ruffles when weakened), and my observation is you could pick a clean eater out of a group of same aged women and men because their hair and skin without makeup looks a lot better than a same weight, fitness level mac n cheese and lean cuisine and weight watchers packaged this and a can of soup that eater. When I cleaned up my eating to the level I am at currently my hair w/in a month started shining so much that friends would ask if I'd started using a gloss. As far as weight loss, I agree 100% that clean eating will not surpass other plans, but I think the external evidence of good health and vibrancy far exceeds any needed arguing about there being benefits to a plan involving highly nutritious foods from honored farming practices vs antibiotic filled meats and dairy, major chain agriculture w/toxins sprayed haphazardly across the land, and plants that are unable to reproduce. It is MUCH harder to clean up one's eating, and it is not for everyone as it is HARDER, but it shouldn't be vilified.

Hair and skin health and beauty comes from adequate intake of dietary fats, especially essential fatty acids. Has nothing to do with eating processed foods or not

It also comes from genetics and other lifestyle habits.

416859_239522249465873_537117355_n.jpg
    genetics do play a role but that photo is an unfair example
    i googled gillian mckeith and found her story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1021669/Food-guru-Gillian-McKeith-reveals-agony-deformed-back.html
    it wasnt until she was almost 40 when she changed her diet
    shame on ppl who make photos like that to prove a point
    and nutella lawson is a tv chef... do ppl really think she cooks that stuff at home everyday?
    what kind of chef doesnt go through a lot of produce
    i hate how everything is looked at in extremes and the finer details are bypassed
    ppl assuming ms lawson eating nothing but butter and desserts and gillian keith eating organic her entire life
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

You forgot wine...
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

what was the life span of the average hunter gatherer vs today...?

Healthcare was a bit iffy back then...
  • gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I like Michael Pollan's books and his health advice: "Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly plants." That's it.

(He does note however, that not everything we eat is actually food. Some of it is "edible food-like substances" (I'm looking at you, Velveeta "cheese".) So when he says "Eat Food" it actually means eat FOOD.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I found myself nodding in agreement until she grouped NDs in with chicken entrail readers. Her ignorance doesn't serve her message.