Sattvic Way of Eating

Options

Replies

• D_Haddo
    D_Haddo Posts: 3
    Options

I'm sorry but that comment just shows that you have no idea about ballet or ballerinas. And you dont know the definition of anorexia. As the matter of fact my mom also a ballerina and I was a dancer of modern dance for decades.

There is no anorexia in ballet. Period. Anorexia is a psychological problem when a person thinks he/she is fat. For ballerinas it is a REQUIREMENT to be less than 50 kilos otherwise they're not suitable for dancing with a partner and in some cases and movements might hurt his health. In ballet schools the requirement is 48 kilos maximum otherwise a student is not eligible for exams.

I've never in my life met an anorexic ballerina. Ever. They need a lot of energy and nutritious food to perform so they actually eat a lot. But at the same time they must maintain their appearance. It's their job requirement and duty.

That's the requirement of art that ballet is and I strongly recommend you to educate yourself and visit a theatre at least once in your life.
    Do you know all the ballet dancers that have ever lived to make such an absolute statement?

I find it really hard to believe that a profession that REQUIRES a woman to weigh less than 110 lbs doesn't push some into anorexia. You have to be 5'4" or shorter, otherwise at 110 lbs you're underweight according to BMI.

With normal body fat % it's already underweight. Since ballet dancers (like all professional dancers) are actually quite muscular, the weight ceiling can easily push the BF to a dangerously low level.

For sure many ballet dancers are genetically gifted and naturally thin, but they can't all be that lucky.

hey I am a firefighter, that used to be over 300 pounds. and this is not about aesthetics but about physically not being able to do the job. same with ballerinas, there are some requirements about physical appearance and skills that you should do in order to have some profession and those rules should be even more strict if you ask me. nobody complains why to be nba professional basketball player you must be taller than average. to get in the army you must be very fit. these are standards and you can't just let anybody do whatever they want. period.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options

I'm sorry but that comment just shows that you have no idea about ballet or ballerinas. And you dont know the definition of anorexia. As the matter of fact my mom also a ballerina and I was a dancer of modern dance for decades.

There is no anorexia in ballet. Period. Anorexia is a psychological problem when a person thinks he/she is fat. For ballerinas it is a REQUIREMENT to be less than 50 kilos otherwise they're not suitable for dancing with a partner and in some cases and movements might hurt his health. In ballet schools the requirement is 48 kilos maximum otherwise a student is not eligible for exams.

I've never in my life met an anorexic ballerina. Ever. They need a lot of energy and nutritious food to perform so they actually eat a lot. But at the same time they must maintain their appearance. It's their job requirement and duty.

That's the requirement of art that ballet is and I strongly recommend you to educate yourself and visit a theatre at least once in your life.
    Do you know all the ballet dancers that have ever lived to make such an absolute statement?

I find it really hard to believe that a profession that REQUIRES a woman to weigh less than 110 lbs doesn't push some into anorexia. You have to be 5'4" or shorter, otherwise at 110 lbs you're underweight according to BMI.

With normal body fat % it's already underweight. Since ballet dancers (like all professional dancers) are actually quite muscular, the weight ceiling can easily push the BF to a dangerously low level.

For sure many ballet dancers are genetically gifted and naturally thin, but they can't all be that lucky.

Considering the fact that I grow up in one of the most famous ballet theatre in the world and was surrounded and raised by ballet professionals, I think I can make that statement. There's no anorexia in ballet. They don't see themselves fat. Their goal is physical beauty as it is required by the art of performance but they never starve themselves to be just thin, it would lead to sickness and lost of ability to work The female ballet dancers have muscles, fat %, and proportions most fitness models can dream of.

The muscle depends on the ballet school. Russian school demands more muscle strength due to harder work than the French ballet school. Russians have leaner longer muscles and can be differentiated in the mass of dancers, also their technique is far advanced. French dancers are as thin as Russians but have significantly less muscle tone. American school is very strong in modern dance but weak in classic ballet therefore due to the modern dance moves American ballet dancers are bulkier than Europeans. Also Americans are less strict on beauty requirements

Of course they're all naturally thin in addition to the hard work done. At least in Europe the students are accepted at the age of 8, and it's obvious if the kids have talent, physical requirements, stretching, body proportions, beauty,etc.

I'm really sad you guys are so uneducated about theatre.
  • YaGigi
    Options
    Sleeping after a meal is a 100% guaranteed way to put on weight.

:laugh:

The same thing was told by a family friend. She was an old lady but when she was young, she was a prima ballerina of Opera De Paris. After that she was one of the leading ballet teachers.

She always told me to stand up after a meal, it'd help to avoid putting on weight. If lay down it'd caused weight gain. And of course no food after 6 pm, not even tea.

She was a wonderful old lady of 90 something years old and her weight never was more than 50 kilos in her life.

Ballerinas are notorious for anorexia and having dangerous, unrealistic, and unsustainable eating habits and too-low body fat percentages. That's a nice anecdote and I'm sure she was a swell lady, but I don't think I ever want to take nutrition advice from someone deeply steeped in that sort of crowd.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22985310
    http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2012/feb/06/ballet-anorexia-la-scala
    http://www.something-fishy.org/cultural/ballet.php
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/kathleen-rea/eating-disorder-ballet_b_2235176.html
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8865353
    etc.
    etc..
    etc...

Bull****.

I don't know ANY ballerinas in La Scalla with anorexia. As the matter of fact they're pretty fat and bad trained in the La Scala. That's the main reason for the last couple of seasons they've been hiring Russians andFrench as guest stars.

La Scalla is famous for opera, not ballet.

Maybe someone is with anorexia in La Scala but they wouldn't be neither the leaders (I know all of them), nor in corps De ballet. If someone is anorexic, she must be in the last line of the corps and which is the reason why she is there.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

The same thing was told by a family friend. She was an old lady but when she was young, she was a prima ballerina of Opera De Paris. After that she was one of the leading ballet teachers.

She always told me to stand up after a meal, it'd help to avoid putting on weight. If lay down it'd caused weight gain. And of course no food after 6 pm, not even tea.

She was a wonderful old lady of 90 something years old and her weight never was more than 50 kilos in her life.

Ballerinas are notorious for anorexia and having dangerous, unrealistic, and unsustainable eating habits and too-low body fat percentages. That's a nice anecdote and I'm sure she was a swell lady, but I don't think I ever want to take nutrition advice from someone deeply steeped in that sort of crowd.

etc.
    etc..
    etc...

Bull****.

I don't know ANY ballerinas in La Scalla with anorexia. As the matter of fact they're pretty fat and bad trained in the La Scala. That's the main reason for the last couple of seasons they've been hiring Russians andFrench as guest stars.

Maybe someone is with anorexia in La Scala but they wouldn't be neither the leaders (I know all of them), nor in corps De ballet. If someone is anorexic, she must be in the last line of the corps and which is the reason why she is there.

The Guardian is a pretty well trusted news source in the UK. So are you saying they are lying and just haven't been called out? maybe you should contact them and demand a retraction since you are that well connected?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

etc.
    etc..
    etc...

Bull****.

Yeah, you are definitely a more legit source of information than those links.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options

Considering the fact that I grow up in one of the most famous ballet theatre in the world and was surrounded and raised by ballet professionals, I think I can make that statement. There's no anorexia in ballet. They don't see themselves fat. Their goal is physical beauty as it is required by the art of performance but they never starve themselves to be just thin, it would lead to sickness and lost of ability to work The female ballet dancers have muscles, fat %, and proportions most fitness models can dream of.

The muscle depends on the ballet school. Russian school demands more muscle strength due to harder work than the French ballet school. Russians have leaner longer muscles and can be differentiated in the mass of dancers, also their technique is far advanced. French dancers are as thin as Russians but have significantly less muscle tone. American school is very strong in modern dance but weak in classic ballet therefore due to the modern dance moves American ballet dancers are bulkier than Europeans. Also Americans are less strict on beauty requirements

Of course they're all naturally thin in addition to the hard work done. At least in Europe the students are accepted at the age of 8, and it's obvious if the kids have talent, physical requirements, stretching, body proportions, beauty,etc.

Actually I'm rather sad of your narrow view that borders on denial. Dancers that make it to the top are most likely to be genetically gifted, which is true for any physical profession. However, the world of ballet is not limited to the top performing theaters. There are many, many schools out there populated with ballet students; most of them won't make pro, but they'll try anyway.

Professional bodybuilders sometimes wrap their body in plastic and do extreme tan job to compete, boxers do all sorts of stuff to lower their weight prior to a match. Here you are saying that all ballet dancers are immune from doing stupid things to meet the stringent weight requirement?
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Topic: Sattvic Way of Eating

THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS INFORMATION, IT GIVES ANOTHER INSIGHT, TO A DIFFERENT LIFESTYLE JOURNEY.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHOICES. NAMASTE MY FRIEND
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    The people who developed this did not live in Northern Michigan. "You now have two hours to meet your daily allotment of calories before the sun goes down. Good luck."

That would be winter. In the summer, I'd be eating at 10pm and whistlin' Dixie.

Amen to that! Bring your umbrella, snow boots, light jacket, and bathing suit with you at all times.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,249 Member
    Options
    I will post this from the guidelines as to why many people are suggesting the OP create a group about this topic.

15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums

Divisive topics, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion. We reserve the right to move any topic to a relevant public Group which interested members may join if they wish to continue to participate.

I do personally believe this topic falls under this guideline as it is based off of religion/spirituality and not science. You may not believe it, but I am about as open to beliefs in spirituality as can be. However, I do not believe a "diet" based off of it should be pushed as being accurate when there is also no science to back it. That is where my issue with the OP comes from. There are items within it that are scientifically false. This is not a "my opinion" situation. This is about a post that is giving flat out incorrect information that can not be backed by the scientific community (based off of peer reviewed scientific study).
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I will post this from the guidelines as to why many people are suggesting the OP create a group about this topic.

15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums

Divisive topics, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion. We reserve the right to move any topic to a relevant public Group which interested members may join if they wish to continue to participate.

I do personally believe this topic falls under this guideline as it is based off of religion/spirituality and not science. You may not believe it, but I am about as open to beliefs in spirituality as can be. However, I do not believe a "diet" based off of it should be pushed as being accurate when there is also no science to back it. That is where my issue with the OP comes from. There are items within it that are scientifically false. This is not a "my opinion" situation. This is about a post that is giving flat out incorrect information that can not be backed by the scientific community (based off of peer reviewed scientific study).

I'd have to agree. As a way of eating it may work for some people. Is it required or even doable for most? Not necessarily. The OP would most likely have more success in a group dedicated to the belief rather than posting on a nutrition forum.
  • YaGigi
    Options

Actually I'm rather sad of your narrow view that borders on denial. Dancers that make it to the top are most likely to be genetically gifted, which is true for any physical profession. However, the world of ballet is not limited to the top performing theaters. There are many, many schools out there populated with ballet students; most of them won't make pro, but they'll try anyway.

Professional bodybuilders sometimes wrap their body in plastic and do extreme tan job to compete, boxers do all sorts of stuff to lower their weight prior to a match. Here you are saying that all ballet dancers are immune from doing stupid things to meet the stringent weight requirement?

Yes, I'm talking about professional ballet dancers, not your high school dancing school. If someone there wears a pink tutu and starve herself, it doesn't mean she's a ballerina.

So if you want to judge or talk ballet, please do it with REAL ballet dancers. Who are not anorexic by the definition because it goes against the nature of the art.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

Yes, I'm talking about professional ballet dancers, not your high school dancing school. If someone there wears a pink tutu and starve herself, it doesn't mean she's a ballerina.

So if you want to judge or talk ballet, please do it with REAL ballet dancers. Who are not anorexic by the definition because it goes against the nature of the art.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/arts/prima-ballerina-claims-anorexia-is-rampant-within-italys-famed-la-scala-dance-corps/story-e6frg8n6-1226266403181
  • Hexahedra
    Options

That is rather elitist and condescending of you. There are many people out there who spend years of their life training ballet every week and perform in local theaters once or twice a year. These local companies are not the Bolshoi, but the people and kids have actual jobs and go to school AND still train 2-5 times a week.

To say that only professional ballet dancers are REAL ballet dancers is like saying only professional runners are REAL runners despite their obvious dedication and performance. So you're not a runner unless you make it to the Olympic eh?
  • YaGigi
    Options

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/arts/prima-ballerina-claims-anorexia-is-rampant-within-italys-famed-la-scala-dance-corps/story-e6frg8n6-1226266403181

Actually 43 kilos is a normal weight for a dancer, especially at the age 16. She presents it like something weird.

This dancer is not a good example AT ALL. Anyone who knows ballet would know her as a crazy alcoholic. She was known for her scandals and unprofessionalism. She even came drunk couple times and couple times didnt arrive to the performance. She went missing during the performances in Moscow.
    Theatre couldn't get rid of her because of her contract even though she was acting nuts.

These anorexia statements are her famewhoring and payback to the theatre.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    tl:dr
  • YaGigi
    Options

That is rather elitist and condescending of you. There are many people out there who spend years of their life training ballet every week and perform in local theaters once or twice a year. These local companies are not the Bolshoi, but the people and kids have actual jobs and go to school AND still train 2-5 times a week.

To say that only professional ballet dancers are REAL ballet dancers is like saying only professional runners are REAL runners despite their obvious dedication and performance. So you're not a runner unless you make it to the Olympic eh?

Comparing ballet dancers to runners is stupid. Ballerinas study 10 years and pass the mst strict exams. It's more adequate to compare them to lawyers or architects. Do you want a lawyer who works as a sale assistant full time and practice as a lawyer twice a year?

Elitist? Yes. Professional ballet dancers are the elite of the dance art. Im surprised you dont know it. They study from 8 years old full time until they're 18. They pass strict exams to get to the school at the age of 8 and every year pass exams to move to the different class. At the age 14 it's known if the student would be prima dancer or corps. It stated in their DIPLOMA but still they pass final exams. That's the time when the leading theaters get those students for work! At least it's In Europe and Russia, where the BEST ballet is. Don't know how it's in the USA.

And after all that hard work you compare them to someone who trains 2 a week while having other job? That can be only due your absolutely not understanding of ballet. So please educate yourself before speaking because it sounds pretty stupid.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

tumblr_m68f2dU1Jk1rzdulio1_500.gif
  • Hexahedra
    Options

Comparing ballet dancers to runners is stupid. Ballerinas study 10 years and pass the mst strict exams. It's more adequate to compare them to lawyers or architects. Do you want a lawyer who works as a sale assistant full time and practice as a lawyer twice a year?

Elitist? Yes. Professional ballet dancers are the elite of the dance art. Im surprised you dont know it. They study from 8 years old full time until they're 18. They pass strict exams to get to the school at the age of 8 and every year pass exams to move to the different class. At the age 14 it's known if the student would be prima dancer or corps. It stated in their DIPLOMA but still they pass final exams. That's the time when the leading theaters get those students for work! At least it's In Europe and Russia, where the BEST ballet is. Don't know how it's in the USA.

And after all that hard work you compare them to someone who trains 2 a week while having other job? That can be only due your absolutely not understanding of ballet. So please educate yourself before speaking because it sounds pretty stupid.

Yup, elitist and condescending.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Ayurveda is a 5000 year old system of natural healing.

That still doesn't make it fact.

The mere fact that it is 5000 years old and not derived from scientific methodology should be cause for concern......

http://www.quackwatch.com/04ConsumerEducation/chopra.html
    Proponents state that ayurvedic medicine originated in ancient time, but much of it was lost until reconstituted in the early 1980s by the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. Its origin is traced to four Sanskrit books called the Vedas-the oldest and most important scriptures of India, shaped sometime before 200 B.C.E. These books attributed most disease and bad luck to demons, devils, and the influence of stars and planets. Ayurveda's basic theory states that the body's functions are regulated by three "irreducible physiological principles" called doshas, whose Sanskrit names are vata, pitta, and kapha. Like astrologic "signs," these terms are used to designate body types as well as the traits that typify them.

I'll stick to science.......
  • iwantwow
    iwantwow Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Ayurveda is a 5000 year old system of natural healing.

That still doesn't make it fact.

^I love you...
    So u r saying ..fact is what u people see...ur western way of healing is famous only because its less time consuming..it only hides the symptoms,doesnt heal them..