Pear Shaped Women - Skinny jeans?

Options

Replies

• toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Im not a fan of skinnies on pear shaped women. I think it tends to make their *kitten* and thighs look much bigger than they actually are. Im a fan of wide leg trousers/jeans myself. Not everyones cup of tea I know. But I find they balance things. As someone else said I think they only people who look good in skinnies are basically skinny women with a very up-and-down figure.

This is my ordeal, I am always worried that I need to post a sign on my butt that says "wide load" or something like that. I do not mind the feel of them - but when I look at myself I guess they make me look short and squatty with a overly thick hip/butt area. When it comes to dress pants I will wear wide leg, but jeans is bootcut. I just wish there were more cute options out there for my shape. It is similar to the situation with skirts too. No Pencil skirts :cry:

You have to work with what you have and let it go. I'm short and pear-shaped and sick and tired of having so much trouble finding clothes that fit my fairly small waist and ampler butt, hips, and thighs. I've been learning to sew, which is not for everyone because it's a big commitment to learn how to sew well. I have someone come and help me fit or draft patterns. A custom made pattern is very different from a commercial one; you can make more subtle changes for a flattering fit. But I still have to be objective about what will look good on my shape and dresses and straight and A-line skirts will always look better on me.

Some people have suggested wearing a skinny tank with skinny jeans. I think that only heightens the contrast between the top and bottom and is not flattering. But each to her own.
  • mustang6411
    mustang6411 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I can't stand skinny jeans...sorry guys who like them. They are just not flattering at all on any body type.
  • grentea
    grentea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm pear shaped and I wear skinny jeans. I don't care if they emphasize my hips or legs lol! I got some from kohl's that were Jennifer Lopez brand and I've gotten compliments on them. I usually wear them with a longer top and ballet flats. It is harder to find pants that are flattering on a pear shape sometimes. I hate shopping for jeans.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    IMO skinny jeans don't look good on anyone. Boot cut is where it's at, especially for the pear-blessed women.
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of skinny jeans... On myself or other people, honestly.
    However, i do have a couple pairs so I can wear them with boots :D

But I personally prefer bootcut.
  • snivvy
    snivvy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you get a pair to fit your hips and thighs they're much too big on the waist and look sloppy. Anything that fits on the waist won't come past your thighs.

Exactly this. So annoying as pretty much all the jeans from fashionable brands for young people in shops in the UK at the moment are skinny jeans. I also daren't wear a skirt or shorts as my legs are also a chunky product of the pear shape so I'm inevitably left traipsing around shopping centres in a foul mood and settling for the best fit of a bad bunch.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Almost nobody looks good in skinny-cut pants. Even a lot of narrow-hipped, slim-legged women wind up accentuating their bow legs or knock knees. It's just not a good look.
  • clareyoung80
    clareyoung80 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Pfffft - I'm pear shaped and I only ever wear skinny jeans. High-waisted skinny jeans are my preferred style. Like these: http://www.next.co.uk/x52168s6

The high waist helps hug my belly - I loathe low-rise jeans, or low-rise anything. The skinny fit just feels good to me, like I'm being hugged all over on my lower half. I generally like to wear them with anything I can tuck in - blouses or t-shirts or whatever. Not jumpers, obviously...

I can't say I'm any more conscious of my hips or butt in skinny jeans...perhaps it depends on the style of the skinny jean.
  • SergeantG
    Options
    For us 'pears' I don't think that skinny jeans were made for 'us'...or to be honest, any female for that matter! Which is fine, because quite frankly, they look better on Lil Wayne!! Women have curves, ya'll!!! I don't want to wear something that is flattering on a 12 year old boy!! :laugh:
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I get "straight leg" you get the slim fit without the squeezing! I also wear fitted top half or cardi's that skim over the rear. I would love to wear skinny jeans but big hips and short legs do not look good in skinny jeans. I also like turn up's on jeans as the help balance me out x
  • jess4fun
    jess4fun Posts: 20
    Options
    Have to 2nd the Levi 's curvy jeans! I have them in straight, bootcut and skinny. And when I am the size the jeans are, the skinny ones look awesome! Muffin top and thigh creases do ruin the look, though. We pear shapes get to be curvy. I say show it off!
  • DiamondWoman
    Options
    Try the Jordan Curry Skinny Jeans from Bluenotes. They are the only ones that I can even get on and look good in. Also they are normally buy 1 get the second 50% off so you can get 2 pairs of jeans for around $45.
  • Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm pear shaped and I wear skinny jeans occasionally I tend to only wear them with longish tunic style tops, but I do find bootcut jeans fit much better (but they even seem like skinny jeans with some of these brands!) wear what's comfortable :)
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I've been looking for skinny jeans so I can wear them with my tall boots but haven't found any I'm willing to wear outside of the dressing room. :(

I'll have to try the "bold curve" Levis, yup that about describes it perfectly.:laugh:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Have to 2nd the Levi 's curvy jeans! I have them in straight, bootcut and skinny. And when I am the size the jeans are, the skinny ones look awesome! Muffin top and thigh creases do ruin the look, though. We pear shapes get to be curvy. I say show it off!

Ditto on the Levi's curvy fit... Skinny jeans look hawt on me. I like my big butt and I cannot lie.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I only wear them with knee high boots. Not flattering otherwise unless you are super thin, straight, and tall IMO.
  • aportz
    aportz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Had to share this. My 10 yo son got a pair of skinny jeans from his older (much smaller framed) cousin. My sister swore they ran big and would fit my son. I gave them to my son to try on. He struggled to pull them on and gave me a very serious look..."Mom, there is something WRONG with these jeans." I died!

To OP, if you like them, wear them! I look terrible in them, can't stand how they feel and avoid them like the plague (as it seems my son will!).
  • bennzz61
    bennzz61 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think it's a flattering style. I think a boot cut, or a slight flair, which elongates the entire line of the body from waist to foot, is more flattering for women with this body type.

I have to agree here, even many skinny women don't look great in them. If they are too tight you get all that wrippling effect up and down the legs, they don't lie smooth. Also, if there's even one flaw on the person's legs and butt again it looks bad. If they have a slight bubble butt but skinny legs it looks out of proportion. I prefer the boot cut too. I think it's much sexier and neater to leave a little wonder than to wear tight pants. If you are going to wear skinny jeans you might as well wear leggings.

Just my opinion though. They would NEVER fit me. By the time I get most pants past my hips and butt the waist is swimming. I HATE shopping for any type of pants.
  • luckynky
    luckynky Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan. I think bootcut or similar makes my legs seem longer. So it's not necessarily the tightness in the butt that bothers me, it's the tightness in the lower legs/ankles that makes me look even stubbier than I am naturally.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think it's a flattering style. I think a boot cut, or a slight flair, which elongates the entire line of the body from waist to foot, is more flattering for women with this body type.

I have to agree here, even many skinny women don't look great in them.pants past my hips and butt the waist is swimming. I HATE shopping for any type of pants.

I agree. I see slender people with these skinny litttle legs and jeans that look painted on, except they may buckle at the ankle. I wouldn't mind being willowy (I'm thin, but short and curvy), but I don't think I'd want to wear that look.