Question for self professed "sugar addicts"

Options

Replies

• highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I don't know... I have done a lot of typically addictive things (smoking, drugs) and I have to say, the most difficult thing to get under control was my eating.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I will buy the concept of sugar addiction as valid when you admit that you have exchanged sexual favors with a complete stranger you met in the grocery store because he bought you 5 packages of Oreos.

Restricting the definition of addiction to a point where you've spent all your money and lost all self control is pretty odd. There are millions of people who are addicted to various types of drugs and are able to maintain their dependence at high function.

I could understand if you wanted to take a restrictive definition of physical withdrawal symptoms. But "it ain't addiction unless you've robbed your family and sold your body!" is pretty nuts.
    Agreed. I really don't think most cigarette addicts rob their families or stop paying their mortgages to buy another pack of cigarettes, but they're still addicted. That's a pretty weird personal definition.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I think the 'addiction' to food thing is taken way too far out of context, lets be perfectly honest about this. I was fat, I loved eating, was I addicted? well, no? But regardless I got fat, too fat.

So under most peoples logic if you're getting fat, you're addicted to food - I disagree, I was bored, I liked the taste (still, does not mean addicted) and I didn't care at the time. Once I realised I was getting fat, and realised this isn't how you're supposed to live, I simply reversed it.. just like that. Anyone has the power to do the same.. I just think 'addiction' is an excuse.

So what if it is an excuse, as you say? How does that affect you or your weight loss? It doesn't. So what's with all the vitriol about it?

Because it's easy to say "I'm addicted" as an excuse to be fat.. anything to comfort yourself. the simple fact is, if you don't want to be fat, eat less of it?
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    As with all things in life, there are different levels of addiction, alcohol and drugs being the most extreme, but it doesn't negate the things lower down on the curve being addictions.

For those who're talking about the Oreos and apples.

I can actually over-eat raw carrots because of the sugar in them. I can eat carrot sticks as mindlessly as I can eat jelly beans. No, I can't eat as many raw carrot sticks as I can jelly beans, either in bulk or calories, but the feeling I get from eating both is the same, both the mindless eating, the pleasure in taste, and the feeling I'm left with afterwards. Just with the carrots you're left with stained fingers and tongue that is harder to get rid of than the dyes in jelly beans and a god awful taste in your mouth.

When you drink or use drugs, your self control is taken away from you, the same can happen, on a smaller scale, with overindulging in sugar, or whatever foods trigger your switch.

And I'm not saying it's going to happen to everyone, but neither will everyone who takes drugs or drinks to excess become an addict.

I'm also going to say here that not everyone who eats to excess because of depression does so because it makes them feel good. Yes, the taste helped the over-eating but I over-ate in an effort to feel 'full' because the depression created a huge 'emptiness' in me.
  • vjw221
    vjw221 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Um.... different people have differing levels of addictive propencities. Children of alchoholics and drug addicts are more prone to addictive and implusive behaviors.

and by you're thought process we should all be alchoholics because if it's addictive to some then surely it's addictive to all.

Sugar has different effects on different poeple. it's so strange to me in these threads that there are people always trying to fit everyone in the same box. people are differet and experience things differently for a whole host of reasons.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I think the 'addiction' to food thing is taken way too far out of context, lets be perfectly honest about this. I was fat, I loved eating, was I addicted? well, no? But regardless I got fat, too fat.

So under most peoples logic if you're getting fat, you're addicted to food - I disagree, I was bored, I liked the taste (still, does not mean addicted) and I didn't care at the time. Once I realised I was getting fat, and realised this isn't how you're supposed to live, I simply reversed it.. just like that. Anyone has the power to do the same.. I just think 'addiction' is an excuse.

So what if it is an excuse, as you say? How does that affect you or your weight loss? It doesn't. So what's with all the vitriol about it?

Because it's easy to say "I'm addicted" as an excuse to be fat.. anything to comfort yourself. the simple fact is, if you don't want to be fat, eat less of it?

You clearly don't understand the mental aspect involved in eating disorders.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    You can't really use the comparisons you have against me, that's ridiculous. I hate comparisons, this is about ONE sole thing.

You're comparing your experience with others. You called my beliefs "wrong" because I'm assuming you compared my thoughts with yours, so I'm thinking you might not hate them.
    Ok, so if that is the case, that sugar is scientifically proven to change brain chemistry, depressed or not - it would affect everyone, surely? If it is science, everyone would become addicted to it? This isn't an illness, or a thing like aspartame causing headaches..

this is SUGAR you are saying is addictive, if something is ADDICTIVE surely it's addictive to everyone?

I'm not a neuroscientist, nor a pharmacist, but drugs don't affect people the same way. My hubs loves being on Vicodin, and many, many people are addicted to Vicodin and oxycodone. They both make me nauseous. I take it and it makes me want to throw up. I get no pleasure or high from it. I have no desire to be on it or take it.

I don't like cigarettes or smoking. Yet there are many, many nicotine addicts out there. I can smoke a cigarette (well, I did in college but not anymore) and not want another one. Addicts don't generally have that ability.
  • highervibes
    Options
    Um.... different people have differing levels of addictive propencities. Children of alchoholics and drug addicts are more prone to addictive and implusive behaviors.

and by you're thought process we should all be alchoholics because if it's addictive to some then surely it's addictive to all.

Sugar has different effects on different poeple. it's so strange to me in these threads that there are people always trying to fit everyone in the same box. people are differet and experience things differently for a whole host of reasons.

This. I don't know for sure whether you can or can not be addicted to sugar but I suspect you can. I did all kinds of drugs in my early twenties and I was not and am not addicted. I still smoke weed but we can hardly call that a drug lol. Just because I wasn't addicted to the coke I did, it doesn't mean other people can't be addicted to it.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I've seen quite a few "sugar addicts" state they cannot consume sugar in moderation and compare their addiction to alcoholism. Yet these same "addicts" will eat fruit stating the fiber slows down the blood sugar spike. To those that use that rationale, would you also suggest it's ok for alcoholics to drink, just as long as they have food in their stomachs, since the food slows down alcohol absorption?

Also what is a saccharide?

Saccharide=carbohydrate.

There are schools of thought on how to moderate both alcohol and sugar consumption in addicts. Only in the US is abstinence considered the only method for treating alcohol addiction, whereas many other western countries teach moderation for those with alcohol addictions. The same can be applied to sugar addictions.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I've seen quite a few "sugar addicts" state they cannot consume sugar in moderation and compare their addiction to alcoholism. Yet these same "addicts" will eat fruit stating the fiber slows down the blood sugar spike. To those that use that rationale, would you also suggest it's ok for alcoholics to drink, just as long as they have food in their stomachs, since the food slows down alcohol absorption?

Also what is a saccharide?

Saccharide=carbohydrate.

Go on...
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    You can't really use the comparisons you have against me, that's ridiculous. I hate comparisons, this is about ONE sole thing.

You're comparing your experience with others. You called my beliefs "wrong" because I'm assuming you compared my thoughts with yours, so I'm thinking you might not hate them.
    Ok, so if that is the case, that sugar is scientifically proven to change brain chemistry, depressed or not - it would affect everyone, surely? If it is science, everyone would become addicted to it? This isn't an illness, or a thing like aspartame causing headaches..

this is SUGAR you are saying is addictive, if something is ADDICTIVE surely it's addictive to everyone?

I'm not a neuroscientist, nor a pharmacist, but drugs don't affect people the same way. My hubs loves being on Vicodin, and many, many people are addicted to Vicodin and oxycodone. They both make me nauseous. I take it and it makes me want to throw up. I get no pleasure or high from it. I have no desire to be on it or take it.

I don't like cigarettes or smoking. Yet there are many, many nicotine addicts out there. I can smoke a cigarette (well, I did in college but not anymore) and not want another one. Addicts don't generally have that ability.

Maybe you're right, I don't know - I just see an addiction to sugar an impossibility.

As for smoking a cigarette, I am the same as you, I can smoke for weeks and just stop, I can smoke for an entire year, stop. I've taken drugs in certain occasions, and stopped. Maybe it's all just because I don't have an addictive personality *shrug*
  • highervibes
    Options

Maybe you're right, I don't know - I just see an addiction to sugar an impossibility.

As for smoking a cigarette, I am the same as you, I can smoke for weeks and just stop, I can smoke for an entire year, stop. I've taken drugs in certain occasions, and stopped. Maybe it's all just because I don't have an addictive personality *shrug*

This is how I feel also. Some people might just be more likely to be addicted to something?
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with the Wikipedia citation. It's user-generated content, and there are no citations there for the list of addictions.

I used Wikipedia because it was easy. There are many sources you can go find yourself by googling on "food addiction".

Also if you follow the wikipedia link on Food Addiction, there are additional citations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_addiction
    Food addiction, to me, is a fallacy. I come from a family of addicts. I just cannot get on-board with being "addicted" to something every human needs to stay alive. I have depression and anxiety disorder, and I used to use "comfort food" as a way to take my mind off of my issues, so I can understand that, for sure, but it's not an addiction.

In terms of staying on-track with the OP's question, I don't think sugar addiction is a thing, either. Cravings =/= addiction.

Cravings are not addiction. But uncontrollable cravings may be an addiction.

And folks, this may not be a chemical addiction like, say, nicotine. I don't think sugar causes a chemical addiction, but rather a psychological addiction. Now to be sure, all addictions are chemical addictions, as they are caused by changes in brain chemistry.

But sugar is not addictive in the way that, say, nicotine is addictive. Rather food is addictive in the way that, say, gambling is addictive.

Basically, anything pleasurable can lead to addiction.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options

If you do not believe in a psychological addiction to eating, what do you think of psychological addictions to gambling?
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Abs.

LMAO

Amirite or Amirite?

yea-uh-huh.gif
  • niki87lewis
    niki87lewis Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I don't Like the term "food addict" funny how people who say they are food addicts only seem out of control around sugary crap, junk food. No one gorges themselves on celery....

I can happily eat a truckful of homous in one sitting, I no I shouldn't but sometimes I do.

Am I addicted to it?
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Honestly unless you've ever been addicted to narcotics or alcohol you really won't understand why it makes no sense for some people when they hear others say they are addicted to sugar. Yes maybe you can sit and est 1000 calories in Oreos or cheesecake or whatever but have ever not paid your rent, you car or insurance, paid your utilities or fed your kids because you needed to buy Oreos? Have you ever only had 25 dollars to your name and convinced yourself you could go spend 20 of it on Oreos and live off the remaining 5 dollars for the week?

Addiction and having a love for certain foods while not having self control are 2 totally different things.

Agreed.

I will buy the concept of sugar addiction as valid when you admit that you have exchanged sexual favors with a complete stranger you met in the grocery store because he bought you 5 packages of Oreos.

I agree that there needs to be more care in general in terms that are used loosely, but these things do not automatically mean that someone is an addict. An addiction is a dependence on a substance, thing, or activity. All of the behaviors described above are often descriptive of a drug addict, but a drug addict does not necessarily need to exchange sexual favors or forgo paying their rent in order to be classified as an "addict." The only criteria is that they have a dependence to their drug (or behavior, or item). The rest is all anecdotal evidence.

edited to fix quotes
  • MommyisFit
    MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you would call it an "addiction", but I definitely had an issue with sugar. I think it had more to do with insulin sensitivity. When I ate something with sugar, my blood sugar would jump up and then take a huge crash into dangerous levels. I would feel very sick and dizzy. My body then craved more sugar to bring the levels back up. This lead to a cycle of more and more sugar.

When I completely cut out refined sugars, my blood sugars have remained steady and I no longer crave it and no longer feel sick.

For those that say that this is just an excuse for being fat - I have never once in my life had a BMI that was "overweight". But I still had an issue with sugar. I do think it is a real issue, whether someone calls it an addiction or not is just semantics.
  • es513
    es513 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Soooooo... I eat fruit inbetween meals to help with my massive appetite. Two apples, a banana, and an orange a day..

OMGGG I'M A SUGAR ADDICT.

:sad:
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

If you do not believe in a psychological addiction to eating, what do you think of psychological addictions to gambling?

Gambling is another thing I personally can't compare.

Gambling = an outcome of possible winnings.

Eating too much food = outcome of turning into a whale.

Nothing good comes from the latter.