Healthy ways to get more protein?

Options
I'm trying to up my protein quite significantly, and wondered if anyone had any tips or ideas of healthy ways to do this?
Without adding too many calories.
I want to avoid powders/shakes. Although I am open to the idea of protein bars (if anyone can recommend some nice ones available in the UK)

Replies

• xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'd be intersted to see what replys you get from this, as I am too trying to increase my protein.
    Im trying to eat plenty of chicken and salmon and having dried fruit and nuts for snacks.
    Im trying to cut back on bread, pasta and potatoes, but finding it hard to find substitue foods.

Good luck.
  • kimmie790
    Options
    I use whey protein and lots of veg like spinach & broccolli and cabbage. I also drink soya milk.

I hate the term protein bars becuase, yes they have more protein but they are full of carbs, so if you are restricting your carb intake then they are useless.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    just try to have some form of protein with every meal.

cottage cheese, greek yoghurt, nuts are all good snack options. don't knock the powders though - some are very nice e.g. i use ON 100% cassein with milk, microwaved at bedtime - for hot chocolate :)

and make your mainmeal portions of protein bigger (don't know if you're veggie or not, sorry) e.g. have 150g steak/chicken/fish instead of 100g. :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i'm curious to know why you are willing to use bars, and not shakes??
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Egg whites are basically pure protein. Chicken, turkey, lean beef, tuna, protein shakes.
    All yummy and all high protein.

ETA: Any protein bar you get (or all that I have seen) have massive amounts of sugar which makes them more of a carb source than a protein source. Not bad in and of itself, but they aren't really a protein if they're mostly carbs. Most protein powders have <5g of carbs and <2g of fat. To me this makes powder the obvious choice.
  • kasmusic3PA
    kasmusic3PA Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I like the shakes (Total Lean Shakes 25 grams of protein per 2 scoops, I mix mine with 2/3 water and 1/3 fat free milk these are great tasting), I get mine from GNC (General Nutrition Centers) I also drink protein Water. Isopure Cocotein Water has 40 grams of protein per 20 oz bottle and it tastes great, too. Also I eat Quest Protein Bars around 160-170 calories and 20 grams of protein per bar, tastes great, very little carbs. Just some of the products I use. I had Gastric Bypass Surgery Sept. 11, 2012 and
    since May 2012 I have lost 142 pounds. I will be celebrating my one year out of surgery on Sept. 11, 2013. I have about 30 more
    pounds to lose till I reach my goal weight. I wish you the best of luck, don't know if you can get these products in the UK or not but I hope it helps. GNC does have a website and you can purchase these things online.
  • 3laine75
    Options
    Egg whites are basically pure protein. Chicken, turkey, lean beef, tuna, protein shakes.

yes, but everytime you throw a yolk away, a fairy dies =D
  • 3laine75
    Options
    I'd be intersted to see what replys you get from this, as I am too trying to increase my protein.
    Im trying to eat plenty of chicken and salmon and having dried fruit and nuts for snacks.
    Im trying to cut back on bread, pasta and potatoes, but finding it hard to find substitue foods.

Good luck.

quinoa and millet etc would be good options for you, wendy but i wouldn't cut out potatos etc. completely - everything in moderation :)
  • scottaworley
    Options

yes, but everytime you throw a yolk away, a fairy dies =D

So true. The yolk is my favorite part of the egg, but I have been instructed to restrict egg yolks because of my cholesterol.

OP I forgot about gluten meal. Again almost pure protein and easy to make into fake meats.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Eggs (whites are all protein), meats (poultry/fish is less fat than red meat), tofu, even cheeses and tofu. Milk, I jjust ate some lunch meat (I know, high in sodium) and a stick of low fat mozzarella cheese for some more protein. Beans, quinoa, even some breads have protein in them. Even jerky (although not the purest source of protein) and greek yogurt have protein sources you can snack on. \

I hated buying egg whites, until I realized I didn't want to waste 8 egg yolks. So now I also have a carton of egg whites in my fridge at all times. I love the yolk, but need more protein to add to my scrambled eggs!

When you are trying to significantly up your protein, you need to replace other things with it (or just a lot more of it). Less noodles, less breads, less fruits and drinks.... MORE PROTEIN.

If you are eating protein with every meal, just eat more of the protein at that meal. Simplest way to do it.
  • kf5ljp
    kf5ljp Posts: 31
    Options
    I am having the same struggle here in the Philippines...If I eat a normal Filipino meal, its almost guaranteed to stay within my calories I need to consume but surprisingly I always fall short in Protein. My temporary solution was to drink Milo R2 in the mornings with my breakfast. I see alot of Egg comments so maybe tome hard boiled eggs in the morning?
  • JustSammi
    Options
    I use fat free Greek yoghurt (from Tesco) in my breakfast. I basically mix it with water and make overnight oats. I eat Muller Light Greek yoghurts as a snack, they have some really nice flavours like coconut and honeyed peach. Babybel or cheese strings as a snack are good, as is cottage cheese, lean cooked meats such as sandwich chicken slices, nuts and nut butters etc. Big chicken breasts for dinner or some kind of fish, eggs, beans...

I do use protein powder mixed with semi-skimmed milk though. I drink one right after lifting weights and even have one on non-lifting days just for the extra protein. I like the chocolate Precision Engineered brand from Holland & Barrett. It tastes nice just like a chocolate milkshake so it's like a sweet treat. If you don't like them, don't have them but whey is good for you and it's an inexpensive and convenient way of getting protein into your diet. It would cost a lot more to buy that much chicken and would require a lot more meal planning to try to get all of the protein in my diet with solid food alone.
  • i_am_asparagus
    i_am_asparagus Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescetarian (don't eat any meat) and get adequate protein eating fish, prawns, tofu, skimmed milk, yogurt, Greek yogurt, cheese and cottage cheese. Sometimes if I'm low on protein, I make a protein shake using chocolate PP, almond milk, banana and PB, it's delish! I can understand if you're reluctant to go down the protein powder route, some of them are absolutely revolting and you need to do a bit of research to find one that you like and mix it with things that make it taste even better. I've stopped eating protein bars as they are so expensive, I prefer to make my own protein goodies and have them as a treat/snack. My favourite protein bar substitutes include frozen chocolate peanut butter cups, baked cheesecake and oat & raisin biscuits, all very easy to make.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    There are lots in greek yogurt, the only kind I even eat any more. 0% fat Fage is my favorite. Easy way to up the protein.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    What do you have against whey protein powder? Probably the best, easiest source for a quick protein boost.

Other than that, like everyone is saying. Greek yogurt, meats and eggs. You'll get plenty.
  • i_am_asparagus
    i_am_asparagus Posts: 336 Member
    Options

I'm not anti-carbs, but I do try to sneak in more veg and protein. Here are some ideas:

- Cauliflower mash (steam florets, pat dry, mash and add light cream cheese, fried garlic, black pepper and nutmeg)
    - Butternut squash mash (half spuds & half butternut peeled and cooked, mash and add light cream cheese)
    - Cauliflower pizza crust (grate the cauli, cook in the microwave, then add mozzarella and egg to bind, pat down to form a pizza base and bake before adding your chosen toppings)
    - Sweet potato wedges (cut into wedges and bake, you could also spray with oil and add spices)

These are things I enjoy eating, but they might not be for everyone. :smile:
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Eggs - pros: best protein on earth; cons: the yolk.
    Egg whites - pros: pretty much straight protein, cons: tastes like it.
    Whey protein - pros: easy to get into your system quickly; cons: quality costs alot.
    Steak - pros: great protein and OMG taste; cons: people fear animal fat.
    Chicken - pros: tastes good, good protein, easy to find; cons: how many times can you eat chicken?
    Fish - pros: good protein, good fats; cons: not everyone likes fish (fishy taste).
    Oysters - pros: great protein, boing!' cons: tastes great fried, texture if you don't like raw.
    Cheese - pros: Awesome tasting, some protein; cons: lots a fat.

My approach is to get one of each of these and no more than six of any each week.

Soy - pros: not a bad protein; cons: none if you're a chick, everything if you're a guy.

I avoid soy like the plague.
  • Mara_
    Mara_ Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Beans contain a lot of protein, and yoghurt.
  • leahgoldgirl
    leahgoldgirl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Egg whites, shrimp, salmon, tuna... any seafood, really. Leafy green veggies, peas and other protein rich veggies. Really though, very few people (at least in the US) get less protein than they need and most get significantly more than they can use.
  • scottaworley
    Options
    Eggs - pros: best protein on earth; cons: the yolk.
    Egg whites - pros: pretty much straight protein, cons: tastes like it.
    Whey protein - pros: easy to get into your system quickly; cons: quality costs alot.
    Steak - pros: great protein and OMG taste; cons: people fear animal fat.
    Chicken - pros: tastes good, good protein, easy to find; cons: how many times can you eat chicken?
    Fish - pros: good protein, good fats; cons: not everyone likes fish (fishy taste).
    Oysters - pros: great protein, boing!' cons: tastes great fried, texture if you don't like raw.
    Cheese - pros: Awesome tasting, some protein; cons: lots a fat.

My approach is to get one of each of these and no more than six of any each week.

Soy - pros: not a bad protein; cons: none if you're a chick, everything if you're a guy.

I avoid soy like the plague.

Men can eat soy.
    Can't we put this ridiculous myth to rest already?

ETA: TOO MUCH soy can mess with your cycle if you are female.