Senseless Shooting...It could have been anyone

Options
ryry_
ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
Wasn't sure where to post this. Seems crazy. It happened to be an australian baseball player out for a run in the middle of the day but it could have been anybody going for a run trying to get in shape.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/21/justice/australia-student-killed-oklahoma/

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yup. He was killed by animals, in this case, animals with no soul.
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    You like to think, "That couldn't happen here," but you never know...
  • bsmithmia
    bsmithmia Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree. I hope those kids get tried as adults and locked away for the maximum amount of time possible. Period.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Senseless and tragic.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    That is exactly what my parents told me when I was applying for colleges. I visited Virginia Tech's campus a week before the shooting there and they told me "It can happen anywhere" so I shouldn't base my decision off of that.

And not quite as tragic, but still worrisome is the shooting at an Atlanta school yesterday. No one was hurt but apparently the guy was telling people he hadn't taken his meds that day...
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Apparently those lads were just bored...

I could put those animals down with less remorse than I would feel for killing a rabid dog.
    Does that make me a bad person?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    This makes me want to cry.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

Thus they should be destroyed. Not with anger, vengeance or passion. Rather in the same way that one would destroy a rabid dog. With compassion, as it is not the animal's choice or fault. With remorse, knowing that due to some strange combination of circumstances these things failed to develop. And finally with gratitude, knowing that there but by the grace of God go we and it is only through chance and good fortune that we and ours are safe and sane.
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    It's a shame that they can't face the death penalty. If ever there were candidates for this treatment.
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options

I could put those animals down with less remorse than I would feel for killing a rabid dog.

Nope!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

Once upon a time I might have thought so. But these days? Nope.
  • griff7809
    griff7809 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Tragic.

Lots of emotions, I'll keep them to myself.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Thus they should be destroyed. Not with anger, vengeance or passion. Rather in the same way that one would destroy a rabid dog. With compassion, as it is not the animal's choice or fault. With remorse, knowing that due to some strange combination of circumstances these things failed to develop. And finally with gratitude, knowing that there but by the grace of God go we and it is only through chance and good fortune that we and ours are safe and sane.
    Agreed.
  • JLN1974
    JLN1974 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    So sad and such a waste of a young life. Feel so sorry for his family.

Makes me really grateful to live in a country where gun crime is so rare.

RIP
  • caitypants86
    caitypants86 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Absolutely revolting. What is the world coming to? There must be something in the water, I swear. I really feel sometimes that the U.S. is in big, big trouble - things only seem to be getting worse. The few people who actually realize what's really going on are silenced when they speak up about/against it, which is scary - but the scariest thing is that most people are extremely ignorant and too absorbed in their own little fantasy worlds to give a crap.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    One of the kids interviewed said that they were bored and decided when he ran by that they would shoot him. I don't quite understand. where did they get the gun? The one mother interviewed said that if her son did this, he should go to jail for a very long time. Makes you think that it could happen anywhere. This is so sad for the family.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Read an article this morning that showed what is possibly the facebook postings of one of the shooters.

It is possible that this was done to earn some kind of "street cred" for a rapping career.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Read an article this morning that showed what is possibly the facebook postings of one of the shooters.

It is possible that this was done to earn some kind of "street cred" for a rapping career.
    And now they will hopefully die in prison. They can rap there.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

Nope. I would help you.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    obviously he was profiling them just like zimmerman. People don't just attack for no reason.

Aaaand this is going to go downhill quickly