Pear Shaped Women - Skinny jeans?

Options

Replies

• ltowne
    ltowne Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am in my late 50's and my daughter got me hooked on skinny jeans. I normally get them at New York and Company as they are stretchy and very versitile. I normally wear them with a longer top and Tom's or flat ballet shoes. Love the look - stylish and fresh.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I love my skinny jeans - they are the only kind that I have. I think they are perfect with a pair of Toms or Converse and also sexy as hell with a pair of knee high boots or heels. I was thinking this post was going to have a bunch of recommendations. Really surprised at all of the dislike responses.
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I hate them and they hate me. My best friend keeps trying to convince me to buy a pair but every time I try them on I cringe. Strangely, she's rather pear-like too and they work for her.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I am 61 and pear shape and I rock my skinny jeans with a tunic top and Mary Jane shoes!!!
  • LittleCulturedPearl
    LittleCulturedPearl Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I wear skinny jeans when I go out on the town on my bike. But actually, that's the only time I wear them because I don't like them. I'm not exactly pear-shaped, but my hips are wide enough to not be flattered by skinny jeans. I think skinny jeans only look good on people who don't have any hips or gluts or quads. Otherwise, they make you look like a horse from behind. Sorry, everyone, but it's true. If that's the look you want, then go for it.
    I prefer Levi's Curve jeans. They are perfect for my shape and accent my thick legs. They cost more than H&M, but definitely better quality, more comfortable, and they last much longer. Go to a Levi's store and try on a pair. I think you will like them. I LOVE them. :)
  • charissh
    charissh Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I love my skinny jeans! Couldn't care less if bootcuts are more flattering for pears :)

I wear mine with ballet pumps, long tops and a blazer and pretty scarf usually, to balance my top half to my hips.

I say go with what you feel comfortable in, don't try to go with fashions that don't suit just because it's a fashion, and don't let your shape put you off something that is in fashion that you'd like to wear :)

And check out this article.. http://www.thebudgetbabe.com/archives/1064-Curvy-Girls,-Skinny-Jeans.html#.UhTQsppwbIU
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2, weighed 209 in this picture. They aren't skinny jeans but jeggings so, pretty much the same damn thing. I think I look hot as **** and my husband likes them too. I think they look especially cute with boots.

rm61s3.jpg
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I think I am pear shaped and I wear skinny jeans, and look fine in them.
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'm more of an hourglass right now but as my boobs get smaller and smaller I may start going into pear territory lol. I have a lot of hip and I'm starting to get a butt :happy: Bootcut jeans elongate me and make me look a little smaller but besides one pair of bootcut jeans all I have in my closet are skinny jeans. I have about 15 different pairs in all kinds of colors and patterns. I was kind of forced into it at first because that's all the shops I like are selling right now. I love them with a little bit of stretch in them because they hug my curves just right. My boyfriend loves me in them and he is the very honest type that would tell me in a nanosecond if he didnt like it. My skinny jeans have to fit me just right or else they make me look short and stumpy. I would recommend wearing a looser fitting top with close fitting skinny jeans. I prefer them with a higher waist (low rise in not for me) and it is always better if I wear them with heels. That seems to help lengthen me out as well. But I will wear them with flats, sandals, boots etc. If I'm not at work it's pretty much all I wear! I love them!
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Welp, this thread tells me that you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Apparently someone is going to think you look terrible and judge you no matter what you do...

So to hell with it. I'm not wearing a burka, so i'm going to wear what pleases me. If you think my jeans are ugly or I am, close your eyes and pray to the altar of whatever fantasy body you like.

people are gonna have different opinions. it's just human nature. Did you expect everyone in the thread to agree?
  • lady6starlight
    lady6starlight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I LOVE skinny jeans. I have wide hips and an ample rear, but also abnormally thin calves for someone who would otherwise be considered fat. I'm actually kind of proud of my figure, especially since an hourglass is starting to show up.

The trick to rocking them is to wear a long shirt that isn't too tight. A too-tight shirt will have a sausage effect.
  • kingsandkeys
    Options
    Long shirts, girl! A nice flowy top evens out the tight bottom, plus covers up the UNAVOIDABLE muffintop made by low-rise jeans (can we just have some high-rise skinnies already? Plz?). Skinnies make your bottom look perky and fantastic!
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    nope can't fit into them. It's not just the hips and thighs, but the calves as well.

This. This is totally my problem. I occasionally try them on but if I actually get the jeans over the calves it's excruciatingly tight. Sadly, my butt looked amazing in them. Everyone is different, and they're just jeans. People need to try them on for themselves and see how they look on their body. It's about how you feel and not what others think!

PS~ as for styling I'm short and have short legs and a short torso, the last pair of skinny jeans I tried I paired with a top that just covered the waist band of the jeans and was cool with that. I tried a longer top and felt dorky. That could totally look different on a taller person. And I would go for low-top tennis shoes or flats but that's what I wear 90% of the time!
  • rachelboddy
    rachelboddy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hello my fellow pears!
    I have always wanted to wear skinny jeans but with my butt and hips I feel so awkward! Do you wear them? How do you style? Ideas please!

I don't know if I'm still completely pear shaped but I am definitely hip and thigh heavy! I LOVE jeggings and I usually wear them with a suit jacket that is cropped a little higher than the hip so as to flatter my smaller waist, and then I always wear wedge heels! ALDO shoes is my favorite. Hope this helps!
  • forthehungergames
    Options
    Balance them out with the your shoes and top and you'll rock them! It's all about finding the most flattering pairs and how the outfit goes together!
  • Brutmar
    Brutmar Posts: 85
    Options
    Mark another for the bootcut jeans :). I don't even have the nerve to try the skinny jeans on...I look at them and think, "uhhhh....no!"
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I wear them with either high boots or a pair of heels. I just wear them like I would other jeans, and just rock the fact that I am a pear.

^^ This is me too! I've learned to like my big booty and hips.
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think it's a flattering style. I think a boot cut, or a slight flair, which elongates the entire line of the body from waist to foot, is more flattering for women with this body type.

This^^

I have an average hip and flat buttocks but still don't find them flattering. Probably the only time I would even consider them would be if I were planning to wear the pant legs tucked into tall boots. Generally they don't fit my calves.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    no. just no.
  • quicklabs
    quicklabs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've got a pair, but I prefer the boot cut. I don't like the tight feeling in the legs at all.