How do I get exercise in every day?? :(

Options

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I work full-time and I have two young kids. I find that the only time I can squeeze in a workout is bright and early at 5 a.m.
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Would you rather get on a treadmill when you don't feel on it or look at yourself in the mirror and see a reflection of a body you are uncomfortable with? The choice is yours. If you really want something enough you find a way to make it work.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Get up an hour earlier.

Yup. With 2 young kids and a full time job I always thought I didn't have time either. You just have to make it a priority and you'll find a way to fit it in your day.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Well, you walk all day, so I think that you're more active than most people. You can "relax" by going to the gym, sitting down and lifting weights or riding a stationary bike. You can do the same thing at home. You can get some cheap weights and if you have the money, get a stationary bike.
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    So I have a full time job as a waitress and am also looking for yet another job at the moment and am going to start college soon. Being on your feet all day, the last thing you want to do is come home and get on a treadmill or even go walking. I still eat relatively healthy and hardly ever go over my calorie goal. I only get 2 days off a week and that's when I get my exercise in. How do I stay motivated to get that workout in every day? I know there's people out there that have more going on than me...so how do they do it??

Only you can keep yourself motivated. If you are not in the right mindset to make time for exercise, then you're not going to stick with it. It took me a good year to finally realize that exercise was more important than "relaxing" (e.g., sitting in front of the TV). I got rid of cable and started incorporating my workouts first thing in the morning. There are days when waking up at 5am really, REALLY sucks, but it's gotten to the point where it's worth it to me.

If you stick with it, you will get to the point where it's worth it to you too :smile:
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Walk or jog in place when you watch TV. I do it, and it is a great mini workout.
  • jamgirl19777
    Options
    i walk half hour in the morning before prepping for work, i park 15 minutes away from work and i walk at lunch if i have time left. your on your feet all day anyways, strap on a pedometer aim for 10,000 steps and call it a day, dont stress yourself.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    If you're on your feet all day, then you don't really need to stress too much about exercise.

excuse_me_bird.gif
    LOL. Saving this pic.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Walk or jog in place when you watch TV. I do it, and it is a great mini workout.

Orrrrrrr

Go outside and walk/jog.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    maybe make it something fun to do on your days off so it doesn't seem like more work. Like going Bowling or to a park where you will be walking or Fishing or swimming. On days you do work, maybe just doing a shorter home dvd with weights cuz you prob are getting alot of cardio in while you are on your feet thru out the day.
  • JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Many moons ag I was in your place and I used to walk from home to work - totalled to about 4 miles a day

:)
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options

Orrrrrrr

Go outside and walk/jog.

Yes....she wants to know what to do when she is just relaxing at home.
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    ...It isn't about finding time, it is about making time. :-)

F--- YEAH!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    You don't have to workout every day

This. You are burning more calories than the average Joe/Jane by being on your feet all day. Tightening up your diet calorie wise, getting a sufficient protein intake, and 2-3 30-45 minute sessions a week strength training is all you need to be well on your way to meeting your goals.
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    1. STOP with the excuses
    2. Nike said it.....JUST DO IT

Yeah. Just do it! You'll find time if you really want to.

I'm a single mom of a 5 yr old, 1 full time and 1 part time job and a 45 minute commute. I work out at the gym 4-5x a week for 1-1.5 hrs and do a 20 min workout daily at home.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it's amazing how you can find the time if you really MAKE the time. Having said that, here are some options:

- Get up really early. Like 4 am early. Yes, it's hard, but is it harder than facing yourself everyday, feeling defeated?
    - Squeeze in a run on that 30 minute lunch break (I do this 5 days a week)
    - Park your car farther away in parking lots - like the BFE spots.
    - Do sit ups, planks, push-ups, etc while watching TV/shows
    - Plan active, outdoor activities with friends or whenever you need to meet with others to socialize
    - Stop making excuses, rationalizations, justifications, and giving yourself reasons to fail.

This is something I do often: Commit to the first 15 minutes of a workout. If you REALLY are too tired after those 15 minutes, you can stop. Most of the time though, I'm into it by then and want to continue, even on days I started off feeling tired.
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I do it on my lunch break and heaven help anyone that gets in my way. That is MY TIME!!! As I tell my patients, don't give me your excuses because I have said all of them to myself and tried to justify why I was heavy. When I stopped the excuses, guess what? The weight came off.

JUST DO IT
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    You gotta fake it til you feel it. Took me a year of going continuously before starting to look forward to it, and being annoyed when I couldn't go. Until then, you should try to go early in the morning, or as soon as you wake up. On a work day you can go before work if possible because it will give you energy for your shift. Until you start looking forward to it, it will be a struggle.
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I don't think shes trying to make an excuse, it sounds like she is just overwhelmed and finding it tough to imagine a regular workout routine in her schedule. she knows she needs to find the time thats why shes asking what other people do.

Like others have said, one option is to wake up earlier and try to get a workout in. Personally I can't workout in the morning. Idk if it's the intensity of my workout or what, but if I work out in the morning, by noon I am literally just too tired to function. If it's a home workout you are looking to do, my suggestion would be to buy a fun dvd that you would be excited about doing (ex. a dancing dvd).

You said that you dont want to go on a treadmill after being on your feet all day and I don't blame you at all. The treadmill and other machines are really effng boring and not something I look forward to. Have you considered doing strength training instead? It might be something that you would look forward to doing more then going on the treadmill. You say you do your cardio on your days off and I honestly think that that along with your active daily life is more then enough cardio. Weights might be another good option for you!
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Personally you should probably track better or modify your calorie goals....if you are a waitress working a full shift...you are walking alot...and burning alot of calories doing that....if you stay to your calorie goal...you should be fine with no exercise....anytime you can squeeze some in however..will be all that much better.