Anyone overcome plantar fasciitis?

Options

Replies

• Sarahlascelles
    Sarahlascelles Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    On ice... Ice should only be used for new injuries as it helps reduce inflammation. It is not helpful for old injuries.
  • AngieJoy81
    AngieJoy81 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate the feedback. I'll make an appointment today. I waited because I was hoping that losing the pregnancy weight would resolve the problem but I can't get rid of the last of it without being able to work out more intensely. Thanks for all the good advice!
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I suffered with this for years working as a Retail Manager on my feet up to 14 hours a day walking on concrete with dress shoes on. Finally one day I couldn't walk from my car to get into my house after work cause the pain was so bad. My foot dr tried cortisone shots, custom made orthotics for my shoes and nothing helped. I ended up having surgery on the foot to cut the band in Dec of 1996, after that I never had a problem. Nothing else was helping me and with a job that I had to be on my feet 12-14 hours this is what helped. What I wasn't told or knew at the time is when they do this surgery where they cut the band you have a chance of your foot not having support now. Years later I had problems again with this same foot and went to a different foot dr. Tried cortisone shots, new custom made orthotics, taping the foot up. The orthotics helped but to to honest with you, the best thing that has helped is loosing weight!
    Cortisone shots aren't good for you but usually you can get 1 every 6 months in a joint or area of your body and it won't hurt you is what I have been told. I have always kept track of when and where I have had mine at since I've had them in my foot and knees before. I usually can get 6 months of pain free with a cortisone shot. I know some people do not though.
    Good luck. PF is so very painful. Until you have it you can't imagine the pain it causes.
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    PLEASE, PLEASE do yourself a favor and check out this sock!!!! The best thing EVER! I tried everything. Had one cortisone shot, wore this, got better sneaks (Brooks) threw out ALL my flat, cheat flip flops and crappy footwear, and used this sock religiously. Never a problem since! And I only used this for a few months - don't have to do anything now.

http://thesock.com/

This is NOT a paid advertisement! Just someone who also suffered through that crazy pain and found relief. Good luck - PF sucks!!!!
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    PS - your baby could not be ANY cuter!!!!
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    http://www.barkingdogshoes.com/newshoe/2013/04/stylish-shoes-for-plantar-fasciitis.html

http://www.footsmart.com/Default.aspx

I got inserts & changed out all my shoes - having arch support made a difference. I can't wear flip flops, or spend a weekend barefoot -- that is too much . I can't wear flats anymore.
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I read on the internet that it would take a year to recover 3 cortisone shots and a year later I was fine..
    Skip all the cortisone and dr. visits. I got it from walking in oversized boots one winter.. Used to walk my
    dog in the boots.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I suffered with it for over 2 years and can finally say I'm pretty much over it. If I wear shoes with no support like flipflops or something like that I can feel the irritation coming back pretty quickly so you really have to stay on top of it. What fixed mine (and this may not work for everyone,but I highly recommend this product) was something called Walk-fit orthotics. they are a hard plastic insole that can be adjusted by how high your arch is and I can't tell you how much they have helped not only my feet, but my knees and hips as well.

Also fill a pop bottle with water & keep it in the freezer and run the arch of your foot over it when its aching. that helps too.
  • JennOnTheRocks
    Options
    I acquired plantar fasciitis late in my recent pregnancy. My son is now two months old, which means I've been limping around with this for over four months! I stretch it out (with a ball) as often as possible, wear running shoes all day, and rest it as much as possible. I seem to re-injur it every few hours during the night when I have to get up to feed my son. I barely am able to walk the dogs around the block and I'm sore the rest of the day. I am dying to go for a run and get back to roller derby!
    Can anyone tell me there is hope of this going away!? Do I need cortisone shots? Is there something I should be doing? Should I just "tough it out" or rest it?

I had it too! NO fun! I was in a boot and a cast. My saving grace was the arm bike at the gym and the pool. The arm bike was a great cardio burn, plus it tones the arms. The pool is awesome because there is next to weight put on your foot. They have awesome water classes you can take too! :)
  • deaddawn
    deaddawn Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Doctor gave me a shot in the foot about 10 years ago and I have had few prblems since. I don't remember what is was. Cortizone maybe?
  • jwebster45206
    jwebster45206 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have this, and it's no fun! I added inserts to my shoes, and started wrapping the arches of my feet for compression, and it slowly got better (I mean, over the course of 9 months or so). But I never started running again like I used to.

Instead I found that there are other ways to exercise that are easier on the feet. Have you tried swimming? It can be a really hard workout, and a big challenge if you haven't done it in years.

Good luck getting better :smile:
  • cwag_afw
    cwag_afw Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with it. My doctor wanted to do surgery but so far I have refused. He recommended wearing Asics or Brooks shoes and getting fitted for arch support for them for when I work out. I haven't done it yet because my pain comes and goes but I plan to! There are also a lot of exercises you can do that is supposed to help! Good luck!
  • whitlisd
    whitlisd Posts: 85
    Options
    I suffered terribly with it for over 5 years. I thought I would never be able to walk normally again. I had a cortisone shot which only helped temporarily, had orthotics made which actually made the problem worse. I had TERRIBLE pain in my heels and couldn't even work out in the yard without almost collapsing in pain. I tried creams and the foot brace, all did me no good.

THEN!! I had been going to see a physical therapist to help break up the "rice krispies" as she called them. I noticed a little improvement, but then a couple months later, my partner and I went to the Dominican Republic for 2 weeks. I have no idea whether it was walking on the uneven sand, the heat, or the rest that did it, but by the time we got home, THE PAIN WAS GONE. Since then, I have told everyone I know who suffers to go walk on the beach. It was just a miracle as far as I'm concerned.
  • lorettasnewbeginning
    Options
    I have it ....mostly under control now with occasional flare-ups. My daughter has it much worse. She has stretches to do, orthotics and is encouraged to wear shoes always (we're a household of barefooters, so that 's a challenge!). Also, ice does help. Put water is a two liter bottle, freeze it, then roll it back and forth under your bare foot!
  • paul_a_fitzpatrick
    Options
    I've had it in both feet for 15 years.

When I first go it, I felt crippled and miserable, and gained a lot of weight. At the time I also had painful neuromas in both feet.

ESWT and cryosurgery helped.

After lots of experimentation, I found relief by wearing a very supportive running shoe, the New Balance 1260, along with a thick gel insole called the Bauerfeind Viscoped.

I can wear other shoes with the Viscoped insole, like golf or dress shoes, but they have to be one size larger than I normally wear, and I have to remove the insole they come with. I've found if you wear the Viscoped without socks, the insole kind of adheres to the soles of your feet, helping support your arch. Almost like having an extra fat pad under your foot.

I also do calf stretches regularly, and avoid running or any sports that involve jumping or landing hard on your feet.

Good luck!
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I used to have a lot of pain in my foot arches and heels upon first getting up in the morning and late at night. After being on my feet for a little while the pain would lessen. I work on my feet all day, and I'd actually avoid sitting down during the day because the pain would return after sitting even for a few minutes.

I finally talked to my doctor about it and she recommended I try insoles from the drugstore. I was seriously skeptical, but I bought a pair of insoles designed specifically for arch pain...and it helped immensely! I was afraid I'd need to spend a huge heap of money on custom orthotics, but $15 insoles worked for me. They need to be replaced every 4-6 months. That's a small price to pay for being free of foot pain!
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with it. My doctor wanted to do surgery but so far I have refused. He recommended wearing Asics or Brooks shoes and getting fitted for arch support for them for when I work out. I haven't done it yet because my pain comes and goes but I plan to! There are also a lot of exercises you can do that is supposed to help! Good luck!
    I had surgery on my left food while they injected my right foot. Noticed some calve cramping so i went to the hospital to get it checked out, fine they said. About a week later i was trying to walk across a parking lot and started getting a runners cramp in my side.... Fast forward the pain spread to my stomach and then my right shoulder. I was admitted into emergency after i went back to the hospital and found out i had a blood clot in my lung. I guess what i am trying to say is, surgery might not be the best option considering besides the fact it almost killed me, it didnt help my condition of my feet.

2 years ago i started developing chronic pain in both feet due to what seemed like temperature issues. Winter time they would turn blue and ache so much. Summer time they would turn sun burn red and ache so much. I am in pain from my feet 24/7 which really plays with your mind. Thats why only now i have gained enough resistance to the pain that i could once again go to the gym and train the best i can. Still have to find a place to sit all the time in between sets. I might be broken but i am far from defeated. I honestly just wish i could get some sort of satisfaction from the company that took so much of my life away. Lol hard to live on 900$ a month pension.
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Underwater ultra sound worked wonders for me
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    Yes, have had it and overcome it w/o surgery or shots. This is what I wrote on a previous thread on the issue:

I've had if for more than 4 years, and had it under control for the last 2. These are the things that worked for me. They aren't cheap, but they work:

- Get a pair of (real) Birkenstocks. Wear them like house shoes - never walk barefoot, slip on your birks straight out of bed and wear them as much as possible. I wear them all the time unless I'm working out or at work. Don't get the betula line or any of the narrower spin-offs, just a classic Birkenstock.

- Get a pair of Birkenstock insoles and wear them in all your flat (non-high-heel) shoes - sneakers (not for working out, but daily kicks), loafers, boots, etc.. Birkenstock insoles fit in all flat shoe styles except for really skinny dress flats. They are pricey, but you can move one pair between all of your shoes.

- the birkenstocks & insoles provide awesome arch support and keep some of the weight off the center of your heels by redistributing it across your foot and to the edges of your heels. They are far more effective than soft insoles, which make everything squishy but your weight is still distributed the same way

- Get some Strassburg socks to sleep in. They are super unsexy, but they keep your foot flexed while you sleep and so that the facia can't get as inflamed. I've tried the cheaper CVS boot styles - the sock is better/more effective and easier to sleep in.

- stretch the minute you get out of bed, and before you go to bed. Downward dog is your friend.

-if you can afford it, see a physical therapist who does ART (active release technique) or Graston technique. I've tried a lot of methods, and these are the ones that have worked for me. The podiatrist was happy to give me prescription meds and squishy insoles and let me just live in pain - the PT actually helped me recover. My insurance covers PT, so I can go for just a co-pay- but otherwise it can get pricey. Look for a sports medicine PT, not just one that focuses on rehab exercises.

I would also add - if you wear high heels, lay off them. They shorten the muscles that you need to stretch, and going back and forth b/tw heels and flats doesn't help.
  • TabithaRose87
    TabithaRose87 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing. My doctor gave me a shot and a few pills, told me to ice it for 15 minutes at a time as often as I can, stretch my foot in the am and pm. The shot didn't do much for me, Icing helps so do the stretched, she said it should heal in 6 weeks..it's been almost a month and I still have my good days and very painful days. Oddly enough I rarely feel it when I work out but I put that dr.scholls insert to help ease those pains like shin splints/plantar fascitis. It helps a lot.