Love cardio...hate strength...what to do?

Options
I love doing cardio. Hiking, running, biking, they're all fun. But I know I need to build muscle/strength. I just don't know where to start. I don't belong to a gym so it needs to be at home. I thought maybe the Gorilla workout app or a beginner dvd but there are so many choices. I'd just like some opinions on what other people started with.

Replies

• blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I like yoga, and it has helped me with my back strength and upper body strength. Might be worth a go :-)
  • kathystrauss1
    kathystrauss1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Do you think it's better to start with a class or do you have any good dvd recommendations?
  • shepd1999
    shepd1999 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I don't know where to start with strenght trainning. I currently got myself walking everyother day, but it would be good to get some Muscle building fat burning exercise in.
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I love doing cardio. Hiking, running, biking, they're all fun. But I know I need to build muscle/strength. I just don't know where to start. I don't belong to a gym so it needs to be at home. I thought maybe the Gorilla workout app or a beginner dvd but there are so many choices. I'd just like some opinions on what other people started with.

Why not join a gym? Some give free access for your first week - it can show you all that's available and maybe a great way to find motivation. =)) Good luck!
  • holliebaker90
    holliebaker90 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I would totally try the Jillian Michaels DVD's. She has Yoga and a few strength exercises! Love 'em!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength is a good place to start. DVD, YouTube, book, etc...
  • nikkijoshua
    nikkijoshua Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Check out Cathe Friedrich at www.cathe.com. She has awesome strength training DVDs.
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    all of my strength training comes from yoga. i practice 6-7 days a week. i don't care for weights and over the years could never find myself sticking to a program. i am def stronger now than i have been, probably ever in my life.
  • JLArispe
    JLArispe Posts: 62
    Options
    Try the 30DS by Jillian Michaels. You will just need to get some free weights. All her DVD's are good. You can check them out on youtube.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Life is too short to do something you hate..
  • smiller212003
    smiller212003 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love to strength train and i do belong to a gym and prefer going there... but me and my husband have weights at the house plus i have some pilate dvds etc when i cant get to the gym or just dont want to be at the gym!

Get ya some weight, kettlebells, pilate balls, jump rope, etc. You can find youtube videos and articles all day online to help you put something together!
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I like yoga, and it has helped me with my back strength and upper body strength. Might be worth a go :-)

This is good.

8488541.png
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Lots of classes at my Y that incorporate cardio and strength training.

When I lift I do mostly super sets, rotating through 2 to 4 lifts with no rest between. That gets my heart rate up.
    Sort of inverted interval. Longer high intesity segments with very short "rests" between.

As with any routine, find what works for you that you can sustain in the long term.
  • leslieschoenle
    leslieschoenle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I love my Ripped in 30 Jillian Michaels DVD... Has done wonders for me and it's always my go to, I also enjoy running and would do it every single day if I could but if I have to wait to workout until after my daughter is in bed I'll break that out and it only takes about 30 minutes and it WORKS!!! She will kick your butt!
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Start with some body weight exercises to build strenght - planks, push ups, chair dips, single leg deadlifts, then find a cheap set of weights to start adding to your exercises.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'll second starting strength, excellent, excellent resource if you don't know how to start.

Also, I know exactly 0 people who are strong who hate that they are strong :laugh:
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I dislike every moment of strength training but I know that lifting heavy is what I need to do to get the results that I want. Short and sweet... Buy a gym membership if you don't have one already, start a beginner program like stronglifts 5x5, and stick to it. Even if it's not as fun as cardio. Just get it over with and then do what you enjoy.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    When I started and wasn't too into the strength stuff, I was doing some workout dvd's by The Firm. They're a lot of fun and are a great workout. They start out with the 3, 5, and 8 pound weights, but I think those can be increased depending on the person's level.

That got me started enjoying the strength stuff more, so I've moved on to New Rules of Lifting for Women, but I still do The Firm's dvd's for my cardio workouts.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Do you think it's better to start with a class or do you have any good dvd recommendations?

A class is really good if you can swing it. Yoga (power yoga) can be good as resistance training. The problem is, some yoga is not resistance training at all. I really enjoy hatha yoga..... this builds flexibily ..... muscle...not so much.

Pilates is another thing to try for resistance training. I started with this one: http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/pilates-for-dummies-9444

This one adds a resistance band ....beginner modifications are shown the whole way thru
    http://www.collagevideo.com/item.aspx?item=9159&reviewstart=11
  • kathystrauss1
    kathystrauss1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips. I never thought of yoga. And all definitely check out the dvds you all mentioned. I'm hesitant to join a gym because in the past I belonged and never went and then I was just so angry at myself for the huge waste of money. I amy try again but I'm going to do the home route first. A yoga class sounds good though.