It baffles me how...

Options

Replies

• theseus82
    theseus82 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    No amount of exercise will fix a bad diet. It is impossible to burn off excess calories if you are eating crap all day. If you want to exercise for health benefits, you need to pair it with a healthy diet. There is no substitute for good nutrition.
    Actually if we're speaking from a calorie standpoint, you could eat crap all day and lose weight if output exceeds intake. I wouldn't recommend it because it's usually going to mean inadequate amounts of nutrition though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

But if you eat crap all day (Little debbies, refined sugar sweets, etc), you will not possibly achieve satiety for long and will constantly go back for more food quickly because your blood sugars are all over the map. People who eat junk food all day will end up overweight.

It is not possible to eat 1,000 calories of chocolate for lunch and then eat 600 calories of ice cream in the evening and be satisfied all day. That does not happen.

What you are talking about are technically possible situations, they are not realistic expectations. Anyone that eats junk food and refined sugars all day is going to end up overweight in time. Young people who do so will end up overweight as their metabolism slows and muscle mass goes down with age. It is the endpoint for such a diet.

And, no, only serious athletes get to eat 3,000+ calories a day and still maintain health. They usually are sure to eat healthy when they do this, but they are essentially doing their workouts as if it is a fulltime job, because that's actually what their job is. For the rest of us, it is not possible to workout for 2 hours and burn off the amount of excess calories we would consume if we finished off every huge meal with a huge bowl of ice cream with melted hot chocolate etc. More and more research is showing all the time that moderate exercise cannot balance out for sustained poor food choices throughout the day.

You may be a physical trainer, so its essentially your job to stay in shape. But the rest of us have responsibilities like 8 hour shifts at a desk or kids and relationships. So treating workouts like a fulltime job is not an option for most people, and thus they must make healthier food choices.

It must be nice to be able to post a wall of text without any actual fact and base everything merely on your own personal speculation.

Hilariously glib response. I'm basing this on books and lectures I've read or watched.

Watch Dr. Dean Ornish
    Read Dr. Neale Bernard
    consider reading John Robbins
    plenty of doctors speaking out about the importance of nutrition
    plenty of emerging science that indicates that the rise in obesity is due to nutrition over activity
    Is Sugar Toxic in New York Times
    Read Lustig (you don't have to agree with him, just be aware)
    Hungry for Change available on Netflix

There are so many documentaries, lectures, and books to support what I am saying, that you are either a troll or just a misinformed ignoramus.

But I was amused with your glib response. Go do some homework and come back when you've read some more books or watched a few hours of lectures. . .
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    some people work so hard to lose the weight. They might exercise 6-7 days a week and be doing everything right and STILL not losing.

Then, there are people like me, who don't exercise at all, eyeball all their portions, go over calories nearly every day... And lose like it's nothing.

What's the deal there?

you are probably underestimating your portion sizes, and you're not really over your calories. Eyeballing portion sizes doesn't always mean they're over... they can be under. Which can be worrying in regards to people who have disordered eating and are afraid to gain weight.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    No amount of exercise will fix a bad diet. It is impossible to burn off excess calories if you are eating crap all day. If you want to exercise for health benefits, you need to pair it with a healthy diet. There is no substitute for good nutrition.
    Actually if we're speaking from a calorie standpoint, you could eat crap all day and lose weight if output exceeds intake. I wouldn't recommend it because it's usually going to mean inadequate amounts of nutrition though.

IDEA Fitness member

But if you eat crap all day (Little debbies, refined sugar sweets, etc), you will not possibly achieve satiety for long and will constantly go back for more food quickly because your blood sugars are all over the map. People who eat junk food all day will end up overweight.

It is not possible to eat 1,000 calories of chocolate for lunch and then eat 600 calories of ice cream in the evening and be satisfied all day. That does not happen.

What you are talking about are technically possible situations, they are not realistic expectations. Anyone that eats junk food and refined sugars all day is going to end up overweight in time. Young people who do so will end up overweight as their metabolism slows and muscle mass goes down with age. It is the endpoint for such a diet.

And, no, only serious athletes get to eat 3,000+ calories a day and still maintain health. They usually are sure to eat healthy when they do this, but they are essentially doing their workouts as if it is a fulltime job, because that's actually what their job is. For the rest of us, it is not possible to workout for 2 hours and burn off the amount of excess calories we would consume if we finished off every huge meal with a huge bowl of ice cream with melted hot chocolate etc. More and more research is showing all the time that moderate exercise cannot balance out for sustained poor food choices throughout the day.

You may be a physical trainer, so its essentially your job to stay in shape. But the rest of us have responsibilities like 8 hour shifts at a desk or kids and relationships. So treating workouts like a fulltime job is not an option for most people, and thus they must make healthier food choices.

It must be nice to be able to post a wall of text without any actual fact and base everything merely on your own personal speculation.

Hilariously glib response. I'm basing this on books and lectures I've read or watched.

Watch Dr. Dean Ornish
    Read Dr. Neale Bernard
    plenty of emerging science that indicates that the rise in obesity is due to nutrition over activity

There are so many documentaries, lectures, and books to support what I am saying, that you are either a troll or just a misinformed ignoramus.

But I was amused with your glib response. Go do some homework and come back when you've read some more books or watched a few hours of lectures. . .

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • SomewhatCool
    Options
    some people work so hard to lose the weight. They might exercise 6-7 days a week and be doing everything right and STILL not losing.

Then, there are people like me, who don't exercise at all, eyeball all their portions, go over calories nearly every day... And lose like it's nothing.

What's the deal there?

People like you suck! lol

The first time I did Weight Watchers, I dropped weight like nothing. It was beyond easy. Then I switched BC methods and started gaining like crazy and couldn't lose to save my life.

I got rid of all hormonal BC almost a year ago and I'm still struggling. I initially dropped 8 pounds, but I've been pretty stuck ever since. Thankfully, I stopped gaining for the most part.

Then I broke my arms in June and sat on the couch for seven weeks, lost 2 pounds. When I started watching what I was eating and exercising again, I started gaining. I'm up 4 pounds in four weeks. Grrrr.

And, to the first response, I AM doing everything right. My body is not responding for some reason.

I have a question-- What's BC mean?

Good luck to you. ♥
    Birth control. I'd been on the pill for years with no issues and then started having two-week periods, so my doc switched me to Mirena and my nightmare began.

Oh. : / Well I'm sorry to hear that...
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Watch Dr. Dean Ornish
    Read Dr. Neale Bernard

IN!

For more pseudoscience . . .
  • SomewhatCool
    Options

What's the deal there?

you are probably underestimating your portion sizes, and you're not really over your calories. Eyeballing portion sizes doesn't always mean they're over... they can be under. Which can be worrying in regards to people who have disordered eating and are afraid to gain weight.

Very true. That just seems so weird to think of, though, because I was really surprised when I found out how big a cup actually was. It seems so small compared to what I thought it was.

However, that is a really good point. I'm curious. I need to go find my measuring equipment now...
  • Doone33
    Doone33 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Age makes a big difference, so does being M or F.

Actually there was numerous studies done on this.... I was scared going into my 30,s cause I have always worked out... but I LOVE to COOK, BAKE And Treat and reward my family with food! SOOO.. I followed the studies and what they found was... The amount that your metabolism actually slows down due to aging is small compared to the fact that the reason it slows down is more likely due to the inability to exercise and finding the time to participate in extra active hobbies as when your a younger individual. Often we have more things like stress... jobs.... families.... just the time spent in your car goes up dramatically do to your daily commute and children's activities and sports... SO its not so much age as it is responsibilities....

SO on that note... We have to make a responsibility to not let yourself get way out of shape where we feel like it would be a hopeless battle to get back.
    It is also a fact that there is different metabolic rates for each individual... Just that way.... but on the note for those who have slower ones... Its proven that in our elder years... we live longer and healthier!
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    When I was in my teens and 20s I also lost weight extremely easily, leading me to think that losing weight was massively easy.

Now I'm in my 40s things have changed a bit and that easy weight loss of my 20s is a thing of the past. My general trend is down; but I can tell you it's a bloody slow process - maintain for a week or 2, then lose a couple of pounds. This year I've lost 23lbs so far and one of the things I've learned is that I have to switch things around a lot to lose....a life time of crazy crash dieting seems to have left me with a metabolism that gets used to doing any one thing day in and day out very quickly. For instance I've been religiously keeping under 1600 a week for the last 2-3 weeks and not lost a thing; this week I've shaken things up a little with 5:2 and early signs are that I'm losing again.
  • theseus82
    Options

^this article proves nothing. One study is not definitive proof. Let's consider the scientific merits of this article:

Sample size: one person
    Duration of experiment?: 10 weeks (wow. amazing)
    Long-term consequences of method (what, you mean for 10 weeks? Well, nothing bad happened in that time!)

Why don't you try this experiment with 10,000 people and track their progress on this method for the next 30 years. Then you have something approaching how science is done.

Or better yet, how about I get a dousing rod and turn up one buried treasure and then go to CNN to make the case for the science of divination? This is essentially an anecdotal case. You can prove anything with anecdotal evidence. I could defend astrology with anecdotal stories. I could turn up hundreds of people who swear that donating money to church cured them of cancer or praying over their children cured them of chicken pox. . .

Here is the problem here: a lot of you don't know how to read sources skeptically. You see CNN as the site and "professor of human nutrition" and then you decide that everything in the article must be pretty valid.

This is a typical problem these days, people taking information from "authority figures" and thus turning off their brains to thinking critically about the information.
  • SomewhatCool
    Options
    When I was in my teens and 20s I also lost weight extremely easily, leading me to think that losing weight was massively easy.

Now I'm in my 40s things have changed a bit and that easy weight loss of my 20s is a thing of the past. My general trend is down; but I can tell you it's a bloody slow process - maintain for a week or 2, then lose a couple of pounds. This year I've lost 23lbs so far and one of the things I've learned is that I have to switch things around a lot to lose....a life time of crazy crash dieting seems to have left me with a metabolism that gets used to doing any one thing day in and day out very quickly. For instance I've been religiously keeping under 1600 a week for the last 2-3 weeks and not lost a thing; this week I've shaken things up a little with 5:2 and early signs are that I'm losing again.

I think 23lbs is actually pretty good. o:
    See, I didn't know metabolisms could adjust to constantly having different things thrown at them.
  • bch97223
    Options
    LOL - that's what I was thinking.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I think those people who are not losing just *think* they are "doing everything right." Either that or they have some medical condition that is altering their perceived calorie burns.

Or they have been to a doctor and not even the doctor can figure it out... yup that is me. I even got a BMF to see what the hell was going on. I work out, I eat properly, I weigh and measure all my food and I have been stuck for 3 years.

I know not everyone is in the same boat but it does chap my *kitten* when I see "they just think they are doing everything right" because some of us really are.

Edited for typos.

There are certainly medical conditions that doctors can't figure out. I didn't lose for three months. Come to find out, I had a tooth infection brewing. Once the tooth was pulled, I started dropping weight like crazy, like my body had been hanging onto it.

But seriously, if you are trying to lose and not losing, then something is wrong. It's intake or calorie burn, or hormones, or something. Something is wrong, whether or not your doctor can figure it out.
  • theseus82
    Options

IN!

Yeah, because you posted a lot of info on your sources. . .

Seriously, since when did doctors presenting their case turn into pseudo-science? I'm wondering what your credentials are that you think a sound byte such as yours proves anything? I was asked for some evidence, I presented it.

This is typical Internet right here. A lot of people thinking that sound bytes are good substitutes for actual arguments. I would say that these people probably watch too much TV, but I would just be speculating why they think complicated arguments and evidence can be addressed in 10 words or less. . .

edit: It is not possible to refute an entire book in 6 words or less. I mentioned a few books and an article or two. It is not possible to refute the book you *didn't* read yet with a single sentence and then accuse me of citing "pseudo-science." To believe you could refute in this way, you are either a troll or an idiot. And I'm not likely to fix that with a single post. So have a good day.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

What's the deal there?

You are baffled alright ...

If your intention is to lose weight and you aren't losing weight, you are NOT doing everything right.

If you are losing weight, you are NOT "going over on calories nearly every day."

Neither of these statements is scientifically possible. Weight loss requires a calorie deficit. Period.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

IN!

Yeah, because you posted a lot of info on your sources. . .

Seriously, since when did doctors presenting their case turn into pseudo-science? I'm wondering what your credentials are that you think a sound byte such as yours proves anything? I was asked for some evidence, I presented it.

This is typical Internet right here. A lot of people thinking that sound bytes are good substitutes for actual arguments. I would say that these people probably watch too much TV, but I would just be speculating why they think complicated arguments and evidence can be addressed in 10 words or less. . .

Some people can research for themselves and some people can't.

Some people succeed and some people don't.

You have to do the work yourself.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

^this article proves nothing. One study is not definitive proof. Let's consider the scientific merits of this article:

Sample size: one person
    Duration of experiment?: 10 weeks (wow. amazing)
    Long-term consequences of method (what, you mean for 10 weeks? Well, nothing bad happened in that time!)

Why don't you try this experiment with 10,000 people and track their progress on this method for the next 30 years. Then you have something approaching how science is done.

Or better yet, how about I get a dousing rod and turn up one buried treasure and then go to CNN to make the case for the science of divination? This is essentially an anecdotal case. You can prove anything with anecdotal evidence. I could defend astrology with anecdotal stories. I could turn up hundreds of people who swear that donating money to church cured them of cancer or praying over their children cured them of chicken pox. . .

Here is the problem here: a lot of you don't know how to read sources skeptically. You see CNN as the site and "professor of human nutrition" and then you decide that everything in the article must be pretty valid.

This is a typical problem these days, people taking information from "authority figures" and thus turning off their brains to thinking critically about the information.

CNN is the first site on google. If you want to find it in an advanced .edu or .gov site, knock yourself out. You obviously know how to run a search engine.

I'll stick with calories in vs calories out so I can eat the foodz.

No one said anything about eating 3000+ calories worth of them. If you stay within your numbers, you can eat it.

So you're saying, if you eat less calories than you expend you'll gain weight if it comes from twinkies or any other "bad" food?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I seriously think this thread needs more cowbell.
  • SomewhatCool
    Options

What's the deal there?

You are baffled alright ...

If your intention is to lose weight and you aren't losing weight, you are NOT doing everything right.

If you are losing weight, you are NOT "going over on calories nearly every day."

Neither of these statements is scientifically possible. Weight loss requires a calorie deficit. Period.

What I meant by going over on calories nearly every day is my TDEE-20%. You can still lose weight going over your allotted calories that you have set for weight loss because you're still at a deficit--just a smaller one. Come to think of it, it was still a pretty stupid example to use, considering, but still.
  • SomewhatCool
    Options
    I seriously think this thread needs more cowbell.

Indeed.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Its metabolism. My hubby can get a stomach bug and lose 10+ lbs in a week or less. I lose weight every time i have a week where i dont work out or eat at least 2500 calories.

My dad, on the other hand, can work out for hours a day and eat just below his TDEE for weeks and only lose a pound.