Underactive Thyroid - When do you take your meds?

Options
Sooooo I'm just interested to see when and how people with an under-active thyroid are taking their meds and if they have seen a change by taking your meds at differemt times?

I have recently started taking my 75mg just before I go to bed and a good 4 hours after eating and I have lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks! I've always previously taken them first thing in the morning but having read an article on the internet about how calcium, vitamins, caffeine and high fibre foods all effect the effectiveness of Levothyroxine I thought I would try shifting to taking them in the evening. I'm not sure whether this is due to my fasted am workouts or the shift in when I take the levothyroxine? anyone had similar results?

Replies

• irenemscott777
    irenemscott777 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. It is really interesting. Well done on your weight loss. I take 200 mg every morning (levothyroxine) and have done for years and recently (this year) my weight is increasing slowly and I am symptomatic as well. I have just made an appointment with my doctor for a referral to the endocrinologist. I need to sleep every day to get through the day at work and it is very difficult.

I will try taking meds in the evening for a couple of months.....
  • CookieGem
    CookieGem Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    This is a interesting concept. I too take my pills first thing in the morning but perhaps will consider taking it at night with my multi vitamin and my good bacteria tablets.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    nighttime works best so nothing interferes with it...100mcg levo here..
  • MJ_Watson
    MJ_Watson Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I take mine before bed, too, two hours after eating my last snack. Always hear it recommended to take them in the morning, but I find I have a hard time functioning if I wait two hours after waking to eat. I take my multi-vitamin and other supplements when I wake up, since - as you mentioned - they will mess with the absorption. My levels are great now, so I must be doing something right. :)
  • CookieGem
    CookieGem Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    bump
  • caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I take mine 1st thing in the morning on an empty stomach, with just water. Then about an hour later i will have breakfast/tea/coffee.
  • OneWildAndPreciousLife
    Options
    Thanks for this post. I was just diagnosed with hypothyroid and was wondering how other people take their medicine.
  • newfette81
    newfette81 Posts: 185
    Options
    I take mine at night with my bcp just before bed
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    in the morning but the night idea sounds like a good idea
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    It should be taken on an empty stomach. The timing of it doesn't matter as much as the empty stomach. I have breakfast around 8am and take my pill around 11.

I used to take them first thing in the morning along with my pill for acid reflux. I read that the pill for acid reflux prevents absorption of the thyroid meds. They have to be taken separately.
  • Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I take mine in the morning with my other meds before I eat, :smile:
  • cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I take my synthroid first thing in the morning and then wait an hour to eat/drink. I don't get heartburn very often, but when I do get it, it is almost always around when I'm going to bed and I didn't want to risk not being able to take an antacid.

I also take wellbutrin and allergy meds first thing, and bcp at night
  • bigred01
    bigred01 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I take .137, and I try to take it on an empty stomach. Although the time of the day does vary because I am too forgetful...LOL
  • javajinny
    Options
    Endocrinologist told me not to take it with BCP (they are both hormones). So I just switched to taking it before bed since BCP is first thing in morning. Hoping to see a change. I'm not symptomatic anymore since takng the levo, but I haven't taken the weight off like I was told I would either.
  • Kymwho
    Kymwho Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! I always take mine in the am with water and eat about 30-45 minutes later, (which always includes fiber) When first diagnosed I lost 30lbs rather quickly. Now, sadly, I've gained that weight back. Dr. has increased my meds to .075mcg as well. I think I'll try taking them at night. Thanks for the input! :)
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I take mine 1st thing in the morning on an empty stomach, with just water. Then about an hour later i will have breakfast/tea/coffee.

This
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I take mine 1st thing in the morning w/ 2 glasses of water. I then go workout and eat about 2 hours later. I make sure to take my vitamins about 4 hours after my thyroid meds. I have always had a hard time eating upon waking (I get nauseous) so I always wait to eat anyway.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I take mine first thing in the morning.
    I tried taking it before bedtime but I found that it interfered with my sleep.

I also have to take Vitamin D3 and that I now take before bedtime.
  • hidbee
    hidbee Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I take 55mcg first thing in the morning. I find it easier to take it first thing rather than at night because I will forget at night. I drink two big glasses of water, then work out and then eat bfast about an hour later.
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I have a question...
    Does it matter if you don't take it at the same time everyday?
    The times I wake up very my a few hours.
    I currently take it at 3pm everyday with my bcp.
    I want to switch to taking my thyroid meds to when I wake up.
    Should I go ahead and take it when I wake up tomorrow morning,
    or should I go 1 day without it?