How do you find motivation when its cold outside to go Gym?

Options

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I try not to talk to myself on gym days. Otherwise I talk myself out of it :laugh:
    I can think of a hundred reasons why I don't want to go, gotta shove that into a box & deal with it when you get BACK from the gym:blushing:

ETA: I never regret going, just regret NOT going =P
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    When you live in a place where it snows or is cold half of the time, you wouldn't ever go ANYWHERE if you let the cold keep you from going out and doing things.

Geez, it's cold, I don't think I want to go to work. Geez, it's cold, I don't think I want to go to that party. So, you just go. Dress appropriately.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    you make it habit.
    motivation pushes you to start working out. habit keeps it going.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    I put all my blankets in the dryer before going... so when i get back i get to snuggle in a warm, womb of fleece and comfort....
    Growing up in New England you learn how to make stuff work!
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Wow, I thought you meant how to you motivate yourself to go work out when it's cold outside. It's just the gym. It's warm inside, right? Edit to add: I notice you said when you got home. Don't go home first. Go straight to the gym. Pack a pre workout snack and your gym clothes and take them with you to the office. Then you don't have to overcome that inertia that hits once you've arrived home. Going to the gym is part of your "job" right now, as you have taken on the task of transforming your body.
  • jwuchef87
    jwuchef87 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm the complete opposite; I hate going to the gym when it's hot outside because I go daily on my lunch hour and hate being sweaty and sticky back at the office from having to walk the .5 miles in the 6 shades of hell southern humidity...I can't wait for the "winter"! lol Just think that you can warm up pretty quickly once you start working out!
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Snow Bunnies.

Snow-Bunny-wild-animals-2785485-1024-768.jpg
  • DesiraeDoll11
    Options
    Um. No brainer. You put on some warm clothes and get the job done. If you REALLY want to workout you find a way to do it.....that's all I can really say. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but it's kind of an obvious answer.
  • sparkle814
    sparkle814 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I HATE the cold and it saps my motivation too. Especially in winter when the cold makes my face hurt lol. I just want to stay huddled up inside in a blanket. I think working out is especially important during the cold weather and when we don't get a lot of day light. My mood is usually a lot lower when we have less daylight and exercise helps keep it on an even keel, so knowing that helps keep me motivated. And same as what others have said, I make it a habit. If I know I am coming from work I pack my gym clothes and change before I leave work so all I have to do is get out of my car and walk into the gym. (If I go home after work before going to the gym, I'm doomed, will NOT make it back out the door to the gym.) Days that I am off work I get up, have breakfast, go right to the gym. If you have to clean snow off your car count it as extra calories burned! haha!
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Reassurance that exercise raises your core temperature.

When it's cold in the morning I go out jogging in a hoodie and after about 10 minutes it's always too hot to keep the hoodie on. Getting started is hard, but it's a mental strength thing.
  • flab2fit_30
    Options
    I just work out at home. body combat dvd, 30DS dvd, treadmill, dumbbells.... no excuses!
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    A general desire to look good/not be fat.
    This^ in general, I never feel like going to the gym... I love it once I'm there and feel great afterward, but I push myself to get there. Just put on a jacket and get going.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    how I feel and whether I'm motivated are irrelevant. Make a plan and determine to stick to it. Make it routine and don't listen to any excuses!

and I'll agree with the don't-go-home-first theory :)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Dude!!!???

I honestly expected this one to be coming from a 50-60 year old, seriously overweigh person. But you?

Man up.

No offense meant, but seriously. Man the F up.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    ^ Same as above and I kinda just bite the bullet and tell myself that I wont get results if I don't go. Works EVERY time.

This
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I'll toss in Rocky OST on my playlist and go. I thrive in the cold. It's warm and sunny weather that makes me lethargic and lazy.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    How do you guys overcome this hurdle

Going to the gym helps.
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Being cold on the way into the gym is so much better to me than going when it is hot and sticky. It is coming back out that sucks!

I wear my gym clothes under a warm pair of workout pants and jacket. Plus I know once I get inside I'll be warm once I start working out.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Dude!!!???

I honestly expected this one to be coming from a 50-60 year old, seriously overweigh person. But you?

Man up.

No offense meant, but seriously. Man the F up.

agreed.

this was my reaction when i noticed the OP was a 23 year old male

cxyUNDJ.gif
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    ebb22674_not-sure-if-serious.jpg

To put this as nicely as possible. I just put on my big boy pants and I go get it done.