How do you find motivation when its cold outside to go Gym?

Options

Replies

• ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I'm from FL...I live in a northern state now and absolutely hate the winter. Ironically its easier for me to hit the gym in the winter because there are less distractions and less going on so I just go to the gym. Summer I tend to skip a lot more due to misc funtivities.

I think the key in winter time is to sissy it up. Dress in layers, even have gym clothes layers so you are warm at all times. I'm being dead serious. I would change at work, put on my gym clothes, then sweatpants, a sweat shirt and a winter coat and gloves and my beany. Then I would drive to the gym warm and cozy put that stuff in my locker and then wear it all home. This year I started lotioning to avoid dry skin from the dryness in winter.
  • changingmylife85
    Options
    I would usually buck up and go anyway. But I'm not one for the gym. Spending the money to be AWAY from my family is not worth it to me. I stay warm in the winter time by utilizing my at home workouts. If you find it difficult going outside to your cold car and going to the gym, DON'T use it as an excuse!! It's a LAME excuse. If you have a goal and a commitment to stay healthy; either you'll get to the gym or you'll make use of your living room floor!
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way in this heat. It's been 110 hear all summer and it just takes it out of ya!
    Good luck finding your motivation! I'm looking for mine as well :-)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    1) Through a love for working out

2) Working out will warm you up
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Dude. I live in Canada. Ain't nobody got time for excuses like that.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

ROFL!! If we'd use that excuse we wouldn't go to the gym 3/4 of the year!!
  • rose228822
    rose228822 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I was amped for a gym session, planned everything out in my head but when I got home and felt hoe cold it is outside of the office I just wanted to stay warm and didn't feel like hitting the gym anymore?

How do you guys overcome this hurdle or are you in the same boat?

Well it's still warm during the day but I do workout in the early mornings and it's starting to get cooler so I will warm up the car beforehand and wear a long sleeve sweatshirt over my tank top and then take it off as I workout on the treadmill or weights because I tend to warm up pretty fast and then do not need the sweatshirt.
    Just get in the mindset that you need to get to the gym or if not then workout at home:happy:
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Honestly what fires me up about going to the gym, watching tons of either weightlifting, strongman, technique videos of other people on youtube. By the time i am done watching a few of those i am dying to work out.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Just grab a hot cup of tea, wrap yourself in that lovely chenille throw that's on you sofa, and watch Bridget Jones' Diary.

And then have a good cry.

Don't forget the Ben and Jerry's
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options

ROFL!! If we'd use that excuse we wouldn't go to the gym 3/4 of the year!!

True story. Though if it's colder than -45, I'll cut myself some slack. Otherwise, I suck it up and layer up.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Week sauce OP....

also, every gym I've ever been to is climate controled.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Is this a real thing? MFP has me totally lost when it comes to what is or isn't a serious post.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Hell, it's hard enough for me to go to the gym in WARM weather. My gym is very inconvenient, but at the moment I don't have a better alternative.

I hate cold weather. When I used to try run in it early in the morning my teeth would ache and I was running in blackness.

Keep thinking about the beach in December. Put photos up on your refrigerator. Make it your computer wallpaper.
  • bikiniaday
    Options
    Just soldier on!! Don't let anything get in your way!
  • lioooba
    lioooba Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    seriously, motivation is what gets you started, but discipline and habit is what keeps you going. :wink:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Just grab a hot cup of tea, wrap yourself in that lovely chenille throw that's on you sofa, and watch Bridget Jones' Diary.

And then have a good cry.
    wV8Mbwe.gif

This...
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I've always found if I go first thing in the morning, my body isn't awake enough yet to notice the cold. On my way OUT of the gym, I'll be cold, but not on the way in. (and we're talking cold like Minnesota in January)
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I drink a big hot mug of man the F up and get on with it
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    funny-pictures-auto-fry-is-not-sure-freddy-389949.jpeg

not to be harsh but....seriously??? Your excuse for not going to the gym, a climate-controlled environment, is "it's cold outside'????? How do you handle things like work and bills and life with that attitude?

Just go to the gym.
  • dgdjs_hdks
    Options