Am I just Broken? (Is lipo my only hope?)

Options
Hello everyone I am pretty discouraged right now. Ive spent over 2 years trying to lose wieght and have been a complete failure.

I tried to once and for all get this wieght off and these last 2 weeks led me to believe that perhaps my body just doesnt work right.

I was 239
6'2
My bmr is 2700

I (using myfitnesspal) consumed between 1000 and 1500 calories daily coming from vegtables protein legumes and coconut oil. (No Carbs at all! Other than legumes)

I also did quick 15 minute kettle bell workouts 3x a week (also just arbitray lifting while watching tv)
After following this for 2 weeks i wieghed myself again to find that i am now 242 pounds.

Possible factors
(I do consume 3-4 oz of vodka or gin a day)
I take a cheat day once a week
I do use artifical sweetener (sugarfree iced tea homemade)
I consume 64 oz or more of pure water

Am I metabolicly broken? Is there any hope for me? Please help im Tired of being a fat hopeless loser who tries harder than everyone else at wieght loss and fails.

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    A 3 lb fluctuation can easily be water weight. When you start a new workout routine, especially strengthening, your muscles retain a lot of water as they repair themselves.

You're not broken, you just need to lower your expectations and have more patience. Also please always net more than 1500 calories a day. 1000 calories for anyone is insane.

Also you don't need to cut out any type of specific food unless told by your dietitian due to specific health problems.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Your body can fluctuate 3-5 lbs a DAY.

Are you sure you are eating enough?

This might help...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Are you counting the vodka? Also, maybe a cheat meal instead of a whole day once a week. Are you weighing/measuring EVERYTHING?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Open your food diary.

Are you accurately weighing/measuring and logging everything that goes into your mouth?

And you are eating carbs, btw.. (not that consumption of carbs impacts weight loss but just FYI)
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Why have a cheat day/meal at all? It really is about moderation not deprivation. I eat what I want when I want and have managed to lose 44 lbs.

I don't deprive myself from anything. If I want a beer, a slice of cheesecake, sugar coffee, whatever. I don't have lots of those things everyday, but I will have them.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Keep it up for 2 MONTHS and then check the progress :)
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Also, try changing up your workout. Do you do any walking now? Add walking to the 15 minute kettle bell workouts.
  • RAEQ127
    RAEQ127 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Have you had your Metabolic Rate tested? Your BMR may be inflated. If you haven't then look into it and try this website.

Get your Bodyfat%

goo.gl/fA0J51

And see what the Katch-McCardle Formula gives you:

http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm
  • vicelike
    vicelike Posts: 22
    Options
    Most shots as poured are 1.5 to 2 oz.... so if you have 3-4 drinks a night your empty calories from booze is a significant drag on your goals.

Try to stop at 2 drinks/day for a week and walk 20 minutes instead and you will be surprised at the difference is can make over time....

Call it roughly a 400 calorie a day swing just from that simple change. That will be worth 40 pounds at the end of a year. Not to mention the extra sex you will get with your new body.....that uses calories as well ;)
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    Have a cheat day once a month, or just don't have them. Not every week. Also, work out some more. Start walking or bicycling for 30 minutes a day.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Results take time.

My advice -

Make sure you are accurately measuring everything. Get some scales. Don't trust yourself to measure by volume or to guess.
    Log everything, including the booze.
    Be honest about the calories you're burning. Buy a fitbit or other smart pedometer, if funds allow.
    Keep your deficit reasonable. At your size you can probably support a 1,000 calorie deficit for a while, but I'd certainly not go beyond that.
    Give it at least six weeks before reassessing anything else.

If after doing all of the above you've still not dropped weight in six weeks, I'd suggest getting some advice from these guys -

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Do you have any underlying medical issues?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone I am pretty discouraged right now. Ive spent over 2 years trying to lose wieght and have been a complete failure.

I tried to once and for all get this wieght off and these last 2 weeks led me to believe that perhaps my body just doesnt work right.

I was 239
    6'2
    My bmr is 2700

I (using myfitnesspal) consumed between 1000 and 1500 calories daily coming from vegtables protein legumes and coconut oil. (No Carbs at all! Other than legumes)

Your BMR should be about 2150. TDEE of 2700 at sedentary (if you exercise it would be more).

Eat no less than 2000 calories. Don't need to restrict any certain food groups.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Another point - if you just started working out, you're going to be holding extra water in your muscles compared to when you were a couch potato. That can easily mask your initial losses.

Don't get disheartened, keep at it. The program works, there are thousands of users that will testify to that.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I (using myfitnesspal) consumed between 1000 and 1500 calories daily coming from vegtables protein legumes and coconut oil...(I do consume 3-4 oz of vodka or gin a day)

4 ounces of vodka would be 25% of your 1000 calorie day. Unless you mean 4 shots, which is more like 6oz and a third of your daily calories.

That can't be right, and if it is right, it's damn sure not healthy.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'll repeat some of the above good advice: measure and weigh everything that has calories in it. Log everything that passes your lips. Stick to exercise.

Eat enough calories. If you deprive yourself, either by restricting calories too much, or completely cutting out whole food groups you enjoy, you are probably setting yourself up for failure. You might be able to "white knuckle" your way through a few weeks or even months of a rigid diet, but eventually, you'll be overcome by hunger or cravings.

Take a deep breath. This will take time. Look at the success stories of people who've lost a lot a weight. You'll notice that many of them (not counting those who've had gastric bypass) took a long time to do it. In the process, they've learned how to make peace with food and regain their health. Cut yourself some slack. Two weeks in a drop in the bucket. You're just at the very start.

BTW, I'm not dissing wls, just saying weight loss tends to take longer without it.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Not that I'm any kind of professional but 1000 to 1500? I'm 5'8" and MFP has me at 1800 for maintenance. Are you going by MFP guidelines or your own?

A few different exercises would be better for you. Walking is a great start. Try to cut your drinking back to perhaps once or twice a week or not at all. Empty calories and all that jazz. When I started out I just had a "cheat treat" once a week. Not a whole day or meal. Add a little more variety to your foods.

Have you seen a Doctor for a full workup? Underlying problems may exist without your knowledge.

I started and quit so many times before finding this site. I thought I was broken for a very long time. I know better now. You Can do this.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

The program works, there are thousands of users that will testify to that.

Except he is not doing the program. It would be impossible for him to be set to 1500 calories. If he chose 2 pounds a week, he would be set at about 1700 + exercise cals. Since he is supposedly eating 1000-1500, he is not doing it right or healthy.
  • nindovina
    nindovina Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Incorporate more exercise, walking, weight lifting...sounds like you need more of that. You also are not consuming enough calories! Your body will start to store if you're not consuming enough...your body needs at least 1000-1200 calories alone for organ function and blood flow....what is MFP telling you to consume? Def look into that....you should also be drinking half your weight in ounces of water per day...so if you're 240lbs, you should be drinking 120oz of water.

Start working out 4+ times a week, eat more calories (carbs are good for you if you're eating the right ones! It's the sugar that you need to watch..you can eat potatoes, sprouted grain bread (Ezekial 4:9 is awesome!) and fruits and veggies), and try to cut down the consumption of alcohol. I know it's hard because I have the same problem but I noticed that when I don't drink, I lose a ton of water weight, edema, etc.

Good luck!
  • bob_day
    bob_day Posts: 87
    Options
    Do this and you *will* lose weight:

1) Three meals a day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That's it. No snacks, and no "in between" meals.

2) Give up sugar. No sugar in coffee, soda, or on cereal. Give up fruit juice -- it's mainly just another form of sugar. Water is the only liquid you need.

3) In the beginning, establish a very regulated moderate calorie diet. Don't follow any sort of fad. Just pick a selection of foods that add up to a normal balanced diet -- whole grains, veggies, fruit, dairy, a little meat, etc. But start out by having exactly the same three meals each day -- the same foods and the same amounts. Weigh the portions on a scale. Consider frozen dinners. Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, Kashi, Smart Ones, and probably other brands have several that are low in calories and saturated fat, 25% daily value or less of sodium, and high in fiber.

4) Weigh yourself every day on a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale. Your weight will fluctuate, but with a constant diet it should trend down over every two or three days. If it doesn't, eliminate items from your diet or reduce the size of portions until your weight does go down. (If you don't have a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale, I'd recommend the EatSmart Precision Plus Digital Scale, which is sold on Amazon.) Don't obsess over the scale — let it be your friend and point the way to a weight losing diet.

5) When you have achieved a weight losing diet, then you can start making adjustments to add variety, but make sure that you keep losing weight.

6) Do regular daily exercise