Birds eye steamfresh frozen veggies?

Options
Im not a big veggie eater lol but is the birds eye frozen veggies good for you? I hear people say when its frozen it loses all nutritional value sooo.. I dont want to eat it if it isnt healthy ya know?

Replies

• Sooze_1975
    Sooze_1975 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Usually frozen veggies are fine, but you have to look out for the sodium. If it has any kind of sauce on it, basically that means 'loaded with sodium'. Better to get the 'fresh' frozen, meaning just frozen veggies, no sauce included.
  • Reed286
    Reed286 Posts: 33
    Options
    I think the pack said 4g of sodium a serving ...is that a lot?
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    My kids can't eat the steamed. For some reason, they have an allergy to it.
  • TKRV
    TKRV Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    If you are looking at what I think you are, which is a mix of carrots, corn, peas and green beans, you are perfectly fine. No sauce. No added salt. Perfectly healthy.

4g of sodium is nothing.
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies are MUCH better than canned and as the above poster said, plain veggies (no sauce) are best. No, 4mg is not a lot. It sounds like you probably got plain steam fresh veggies...good choice.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    If you are looking at what I think you are, which is a mix of carrots, corn, peas and green beans, you are perfectly fine. No sauce. No added salt. Perfectly healthy.

4g of sodium is nothing.

4g of sodium is a LOT...100% DV (and that's intended as a MAX) is 2.5g

luckily your bag said 4mg and you just made a mistake with the units when you posted.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I think the pack said 4g of sodium a serving ...is that a lot?

Do you mean 4 mg? That would be low sodium.

The broccoli with cheese sauce is 500mg per serving .... so yummy. I add cooked carrots (no salt added) .... to double the serving size.
  • Reed286
    Options
    Yes it is the mix of carrots, peas, green beans, and corn! And my mistake I meant 4 mg! Thanks for the replies!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Im not a big veggie eater lol but is the birds eye frozen veggies good for you? I hear people say when its frozen it loses all nutritional value sooo.. I dont want to eat it if it isnt healthy ya know?
    Who do you hear say that? It's the exact opposite.
  • dmax82
    dmax82 Posts: 1
    Options
    Frozen vegetables are frozen at peak freshness, so they often have more nutrients than fresh vegetables you are buying in the store, assuming you are cooking both. I love Birds Eye brand. This week my local Publix has them all half price, so I loaded up. I only buy pure vegetables - the once with sauce add insane amounts of calories. I usually buy the ones that you can microwave in the bag.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I ate a store brand of steamable frozen veggies today. I like the convenience.
  • kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I second sooze and breyn. Veggie heirarchy = fresh>frozen>canned. sauce= sodium. Better frozen than no veggies at all
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I live on birds eye from veggie and other frozen veggie. The steam bags are very convenient. My favs are broccoli and brussel sprouts.
  • Reed286
    Options
    Who do you hear say that? It's the exact opposite.

My friends always say buy regular veggies instead of frozen
  • michellersalo
    michellersalo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Sodium limit per day is about 1500 mgs. So 4 mg is LOW, LOW, LOW!!!

Great choice!! :)
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    If you can not buy fresh, frozen is the next best thing. It is as close to fresh as you can get and much healthier than buying canned.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Frozen = processed = unclean
  • kuroi19
    kuroi19 Posts: 45
    Options
    Regular veg give you more goodness than frozen but that does not mean frozen is not healthy. They just have less vitamins than fresh but still better than nearly all the food you can come across. So go for it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Regular veg give you more goodness than frozen. They just have less vitamins than fresh.
    False.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    We eat them all the time and love them! And yes, they are healthy!