Weight Watchers

Options

Replies

• christinarayburn3
    christinarayburn3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Has any of you on here ever tried weight watchers? If so, does it work? Do you think it would be easier to use that type of program instead of MFP?

I did it for three years, both the core and P+ plus program. I lost the majority of my weight on the core program; when all fruits and veggies became free weight loss slowed. What I don't like is that there is very little individualisation in the program. It tries to be a one-size fits all, and the leaders are trained in the Weight Watchers system, not how to lose weight.

And as other users said, their basis for their points is way out of whack for some foods. I think tracking calories is a lot more effective, especially if you're trying to trying to watch certain parts of your diet like sodium or sugar. I think this is much more flexible and in tune with what is required to lose weight.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with most of the above statements. I lost a good chunk of my weight on Weight Watchers. However, like others have said, you are kept in the dark on how many calories you are actually eating. You are learning portion sizes, but you don't know calorie intake. There are ways to figure it out but not 100% accurate. Bottom line, for me, Weight Watchers got me to where I am at, but I could not do that for a lifetime. I needed to learn about calories and macronutrients. I needed to learn about TDEE and BMR. The things that make it all work. WW keeps you in the dark on all that. They tell you what to do and you are just supposed to take their word for it.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    You want to work on portion control? Try using a smaller plate for any of your meals. Like a salad plate. If it doesn't fit then it's not making it to the table that night!
  • Barbell_Jules
    Barbell_Jules Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Right. You can learn portion control right here tracking your calories. Get a scale and weigh out all your food, that will teach you portions. You certainly don't need WW for that. :wink:
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    It works like any calorie restriction diet will work. It encourages you to get plenty of fruit and veg as they are mostly zero points. You can get extra points for exercise in the same way you add calories on mfp by adding exercise. Personally I prefer MFP as it's free and I wanted to save money.

For me the pro and cons were

*WW pros

If you go to meetings you get support, depending on your personality this can help focus and motivate you. I am a bit of a lone wolf and never really needed a group.

Their site is pretty easy to use, much like MFP except its points not calories

I like the way you have both weekly and daily points. If I am going out I can use my weekly points all at once or equal them out over the week. I do a similar thing on MFP were I stagger my calories, so I will eat 1300 one day and then 1600 another day etc etc so I equal out a deficit over the week.

*WW Cons

Costs money

Takes a little extra time than MFP to log as you need to convert your foods to points. Not that much longer to be fair but it needs to be converted.
  • Christlivesinme29
    Options
    Oh, I don't have issues with portion control at all. I eat just enough food. I don't like to eat till i'm bloated!:mad: Feels really bad and makes me wanna jump on my elliptical and go crazy!
  • whisperer02
    Options
    I lost weight at W.W. but it took a long time (7-months to lose 17 lbs). I did like the meetings, but I am like many others, I like MFP better because calorie counting for me works better than points. Plus, I felt they were always pushing there products on us and every two years they change the program just enough so you feel the need to buy new books and other things to help with your weight loss (although the newer things are really no differant than the older version). It does get expensive, but learning about portion control and how to eat better came in handy..............and I have my refrigerator set up so my healthy food is right there in the front where I can see it and cut up so I can eat it. So, I did learn some things from W.W., I still think with MFP being free it is by far the better "deal".
  • cassi9879
    cassi9879 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I started Weight Watchers in March and have had much success. I've lost a total of 37.2 lbs so far. And I'm one that doesn't like many fruits or veggies!
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I've done it and it worked... I was at goal for a very long time, I even started to work for them....however times change and I can't affort the money for the meetings and the online stuff....so I guess YES it works - MFP is wonderful & also would work IF we apply the info... so my opinion is they both are great you just have to work the program...

I too was at goal and worked for them - I lost weight using their Selections program where you had so many Proteins, so many Breads/Starchy veggies, so many Milks, Fats, etc. I learned a lot about proper portion sizes and that I could be satisfied with much less food than I thought (took a couple of weeks for my stomach to adjust).

A few years ago, I didn't want to go to meetings, so I tried doing it online, but found it was too easy to skip tracking, etc.

I love the support of my friends here at MFP and via Fitbit. They have motivated me to do more and help keep me accountable. I like that the forums and blogs are available 24/7.

You could definitely use both at the same time.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    No, I'm too cheap to pay for stuff like that.
  • micksgrad
    micksgrad Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have done weight watchers. A few years ago I did it and reached my goal to become a lifetime member. Then I went back to my old eating habits and after a few years was right back where I started. Its a great program that works when you follow it and its not a painful process at all, you don't feel deprived or that you can't have what you want. It does take a little bit initially to figure out the points system but you begin to see patterns in your eating and the point values of different foods. A couple of years ago full reimbursement of weight watchers became part of my benefit package at my job and they set up an 'at work' meeting during our lunch hour so I really felt like I had no excuse not to take advantage of it. I started a year and a half ago, the e-tools make it SO easy to track and be aware 24/7. Who doesn't carry a smart phone any more? BUT about 3 months ago they canceled our at work meeting because most people just weighed in and left not taking advantage of the meeting, so I was somewhat concerned as to how I would handle life 'on my own', then a friend pointed me to MFP, I tracked on both programs side by side for a couple of weeks to see how they compare. They are nearly identical with MFP being a bit easier because I can look at a label track calories, without having to figure out how many points it is. Its taken just a little bit of time to switch over but for the price I don't think there is enough difference in the tracking to justify the cost of WW. There are definite benefits to having a weekly meeting for accountability at WW however I think there are ways, like this community to connect and find partners that will encourage and support accountability here as well
    Hope my lengthy post helps......
    Begin Anywhere...........Just Begin!
  • DesireeNL
    DesireeNL Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I was on and off WW for about a decade. Yes the program works if you stick to it, as will any program with a caloric deficit. They have great recipes and while they strongly promote healthy foods, you can eat whatever you like within your budget.

When I started dieting, WW was the only tool I knew of that focused on normal eating habits. I didn't want to do any fad diets, pills or shakes. That's why I opted for WW.

But I never reached a healthy weight let alone goal weight on WW. I could do it for several months at a time and then just be so sick of it. In 2009 I lost a good amount and the following years I yo-yoed only a little bit, because I could fall back on my WW tool easily and keep it more or less under control. All-in-all my weight trend line kept going down.

I went off program in April this year. That's when I added in exercise, and that's when I actually reached a healthy BMI. WW does not really promote exercise, they advise it, but why would you when you can lose without working out? That was me for several years. When I reached that healthy BMI and looked at my body, I can see that I still carry a lot of fat. And I knew that I was not fit, did not have any stamina whatsoever. I now wish I had realized sooner that weight loss and exercise should always come in one package.

That said, I'm now eating more than I ever did on WW. On WW I was allowed the minimum daily points, and that turned out to be around 1000-1100 calories. On days when I stuck to my daily points I was often hungry. I'd usually have some weekly points about 3 days a week, around 10 extra. I remember I often felt a bit guilty because I ate so much on the weekend, turns out that was only 1400-1500 calories. I love to make chicken fajitas (chicken+veggies+spices+tortilla wrap+bit of sour cream). A healthy dish imo, yet it cost me over half of my daily points. To make up for that, I'd eat a meager breakfast/lunch. Now when I make the same dish and log it on MFP, it's only a little over 500 calories, actually a bit on the low end for a typical dinner for me. This did shock me, on WW I thought I was having a high calorie meal (since it was so high in points), when it's not that at all. Same goes for little things like a tablespoon of salad dressing. Seriously, 1 point for 29 calories worth of dressing?

I felt that with the new program a lot of women are under-eating. I frequented the WW forums in my country and there were always lots of messages by women who were afraid to use any weekly points. On top of that, they're also afraid to use their exercise points. WW says you MAY use your weekly points, but you don't have to, promising a weight loss of 2lbs per week if you don't use them. So no wonder a lot of women won't touch them. Often when they do use them one week, they'll gain, panic, and won't use them again. I noticed that the women who consistently used most of their weekly points and were not afraid to eat back some exercise points, were the ones who had the best results and were the ones to not only reach goal weight, but also maintain it.

In hindsight, I'd say MFP is a much better tool to lose and control weight. It's free, it has a huge database. And it's so much easier to tweak it to your own needs. I calculated my TDEE and try to eat at a -15% deficit on average. Some days I might eat at -10%, some I might be at -20%. But still, I can look at the numbers and know exactly what I've taken in. With WW you have your 35 weekly points and you have to figure out yourself what to do with them. If you eat them all, what does do for your weightloss? If you spread them out evenly, what does that do for your weightloss? I could never figure out the amount of weekly points that worked for me.
  • firstbarb1
    firstbarb1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use WW...however...I don't agree with their theory on fruit being zero points...that's why I track with My fitness pal also...I have lost 32 pounds with WW since December, 2012. It works if you work the program.
  • aberty345
    Options
    I just recently started Weight Watchers and was wondering if anyone knew any good low point recipes for dinner. I am using the smart ones however it is getting pretty expensive and I would like to find a more cost effective way for dinners.
  • micksgrad
    micksgrad Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have done weight watchers. A few years ago I did it and reached my goal to become a lifetime member. Then I went back to my old eating habits and after a few years was right back where I started. Its a great program that works when you follow it and its not a painful process at all, you don't feel deprived or that you can't have what you want. It does take a little bit initially to figure out the points system but you begin to see patterns in your eating and the point values of different foods. A couple of years ago full reimbursement of weight watchers became part of my benefit package at my job and they set up an 'at work' meeting during our lunch hour so I really felt like I had no excuse not to take advantage of it. I started a year and a half ago, the e-tools make it SO easy to track and be aware 24/7. Who doesn't carry a smart phone any more? BUT about 3 months ago they canceled our at work meeting because most people just weighed in and left not taking advantage of the meeting, so I was somewhat concerned as to how I would handle life 'on my own', then a friend pointed me to MFP, I tracked on both programs side by side for a couple of weeks to see how they compare. They are nearly identical with MFP being a bit easier because I can look at a label track calories, without having to figure out how many points it is. Its taken just a little bit of time to switch over but for the price I don't think there is enough difference in the tracking to justify the cost of WW. There are definite benefits to having a weekly meeting for accountability at WW however I think there are ways, like this community to connect and find partners that will encourage and support accountability here as well
    Hope my lengthy post helps......
    Begin Anywhere...........Just Begin!
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I did WW for a few months last year, I lost a few lbs, my friend had more to lose and he lost 80 lbs.

I found a few things:
    - monthly fee is too expensive
    - points values are cryptic and too much work
    - WW doesn't promote heavy exercise and as a result, it was hard for me to figure out how much energy I was burning during exercise and how to eat more for it. The meeting leader had no answers neither did the website
    - I think it's best for people who have really bad eating patterns because it's good to learn how to eat better

I say MFP is a better site and FREE!!
    good luck!
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I've been on and off WW for a number of years. About 8 years ago, I reached my WW goal (I had chosen the top weight in my height range). Kept it off for a couple years, then had an Achilles tendonitis flare-up for two years. Boom, 40 lbs back on. Got my tendonitis thing over but was so demoralized about the re-fatted me that I stayed in denial for several more years. Finally in March '12 went back to WW. Had to pay each month because I was over goal weight, but by December I was below my WW goal, so I do still go each month to weigh in (for free so long as I stay below goal) and pick up any materials that are available. In the meantime, I discovered MFP and was astounded at the tools and support it provided FREE! Since then, I have lost 24 pounds below my WW goal, which is in the exact middle of my height range, i.e., normal weight. Haven't been this weight since junior high...

I learned a lot at WW, but found the current program to be lacking: not counting fruits and vegetables really doesn't make sense, and I did find that I wasn't losing weight on the program (I had 26 pts) until I began a progressively more rigorous exercise program. Once I did that, plus one dietary change (quit bread), I began consistently losing weight. Given what I know today, I would not join WW and pay their fees now that a site like MFP is available. I did on-line WW for awhile but find that MFP is faster and more intuitive than the WW on-line although they may have improved it since I tried it out.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Would it be easier? No, you still have to figure out points values for every food you eat and you have to track it. Same as here, except here you will have a better understanding of how many calories your body needs and how many calories you are consuming each day. WW keeps all of that a big secret.

I have been on WW before and I did have some success. However, WW is all about a points value and they don't work in the real world. You don't learn to eat right per say, you learn to find foods that are low in points which again, doesn't apply in the real world.

^This

The esoteric points system is not going to help you in the world that is measured in calories not points to macros ratios.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    The bottom line with any plan is once you are past the 26 week mark to really stick with it. It is after 26 weeks people start to eat what they have lost and put it back on again plus a few pounds more. This happens to about 85 %.
    The BBC doc. "the men who made us thin" , which part 1 is available on you tube, discusses this point and as well as weight watchers long term success rate which is very low.

The goal to any diet is reduce portion size to a healthy amount. Since the eighties portion sizes in fast food and restaurants has increased to the point where we feel we are deprived if we do not get a large amount of food.

The food industry makes more money selling the increased portion sizes hence it is a win for them and a lose for you.
    This is discussed on BBC "the men who made us fat " part 2 also available on you tube.

Good documentaries that are available on you tube
    bbc " the truth about food" entertaining six part series with lots of info and also dispels dieting myths
    as well as supersizers go , an entertaining series looking at food consumption through history.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I don't think it would be easier since the point system isn't universal and calories are. Every label will tell you how many calories are in something but I'd hate to have to work out the points value too. Also fruit and vegetables are "free" and I can tell you from experience that i can rack up a nice surplus eating free bananas and broccoli. They complicate things so you think you need them, you don't.