White Rice and Asians

Options
12345679»

Replies

• EGSanz225
    Options
    on the flip side I've had people say asians are skinny..and oh yeah..they also add that not so great stereotype that asian females are not strong.

AT a gym I work at I had a guy refused to work with me because I am asian. (ok, I'm half white but noone really can tell). Can you IMAGINE if someone said they didn't want to work with someone who is black? What would the uproar be? And I guess noone ever refuses a white trainer.

It was a black guy. He wanted to learn how to lift and he said, "asian women aren't as strong as the sisters" and he demanded another trainer. He was given my collegue, a white guy who is a marathon runner and put him on the Smith machine and has absolutely no experience with barbell lifting.So he had no problems with a marathon runner teaching him to lift. But an asian female who actually lifts???

But what do I know. I'm this asian female and we are just skinny. Never mind I can deadlift 245.

If an asian woman is in the gym and she is lifting a heavy barbell..... you can bet her *kitten* pound for pound she's stronger than most females because we get the stereotype of being skinny..not strong.

But maybe I can deadlift and squat so much due to my rice consumption.

Well ****, that's unfortunate.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I work with many different people and I've asked my Asian friends if they eat american white rice or get it from Asia. The answer for the thin people is they go to the Asian market and get the import. America adds stuff to our rice. You should see the rolly pollies that eat the American stuff.

That's true. I order my rice from Japan. I will eat American white rice if I absolutely have to, but I there is a huge difference in taste, in my opinion.
  • EGSanz225
    Options
    Wow, I did not mean for this thread to get out of hand. Once again, I do apologize if I offended anyone, it wasn't my intention, I was only asking through my observation.

I don't mind what April said, I hear it all the time and it's usually from people who are concerned. I've always been skinny most of my life but I always hated my stomach and I always considered this one of my problem areas. If someone feels I'm too skinny, I totally understand, personally I'm not happy with it. I don't mind my arms or legs too much though :P
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Brace Yourselves,, Asian People will comment here on this thread including me :laugh:

that'd be me (:
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Wow one thread full of so many Racial stereotypes

you said it,,, thats why they always experience bad luck or karma haha
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Brace Yourselves,, Asian People will comment here on this thread including me :laugh:

that'd be me (:

yeah and its obvious :P

anyway back on topic,, i just read an article about eating clean or eating healthy foods is just a myth, there are no such thing are dirty foods and unhealthy foods,, the matter or important is about the calories if u want to lose weight or gain weight,,

calories in < calories out = lose weight
    calories in > calories ou = gain weight
  • brianx99
    brianx99 Posts: 30
    Options
    sittin here reading the posts and sippin on my cup of genmaicha green tea.

i approve of this thread.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I'm from Hong Kong and I don't eat rice. Unless I am having sushi.
  • eslonlineteacherguy
    eslonlineteacherguy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm an American living in China for over 5 years. Chinese people walk miles a day, drink lots of green tea, and don't eat anywhere near the sugar most people eat. Rice is their filler, instead of bread.
  • dkalita
    dkalita Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am from Assam, India, and in my place since childhood, we have eaten white rice for breakfast, lunch and dinner! lol. But I and my family had always been thin (not reed like but healthy). I only gained weight aftr i switched to junk after i started working. So rice is not what made me fat for sure. Rice is the staple food of this region, and everyone eats it everyday but u will hardly see any obese people. As for me, I still have rice for lunch but do not have it for dinner. The quantity has to be limited. Too much of anything is bad. half a cup of rice everyday (of any colour ;) wont do any harm. Trust me. Only remember not to add salt,sugar or oil to it.
  • WildlyCurly
    WildlyCurly Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Where I live, it really doesn't matter what you are, everyone has some chance of becoming fat since we're exposed to fatty foods everywhere, and convenient modes of transportation. Everyone's eating habits, bodies and motivations are different. No 2 Asians are alike, even those in the same family. Take me for example, I am fat and Asian, well half Asian, and some of my Asian relatives and friends are on the heavy side, while others are not. It really depends on the individual...
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Most Asians are thin yet they incorporate a lot of white rice in their diet. How does that work? Is it metabolism? Are they more active? Is it the type of white rice they eat? Maybe they do not incorporate things in their rice like other people do (Oils, salt, etc.)

I'm a Spanish girl who loves her white rice. I haven't been eating a lot of it ever since I started this new lifestyle change and weight loss goal (Started back in May, lost 4 lbs so far.) I'm trying to lose another 5-7 lbs and get leaner. My longterm goal is to be as healthy as possible in the long run, but my main goal is to get a flatter stomach and it looks like I'm almost there. I'd like to eat more rice but I don't want to compromise what I have so far. Is it possible to eat more rice ans still lose weight?

I know a lot of you are going to suggest eating brown rice. I would in a heartbeat (I love brown rice too, I don't discriminate :P) but I'm on a tight budget and I have these large bags of white rice and it would be a shame to throw/give/waste it all away. Suggestions would be helpful. Even if it means telling me something I don't want to hear.
    Ancient Chinese secret. I'd tell you but I'd have to kill you... sorry. :flowerforyou:
  • happyhiker83
    Options
    I've lived in Japan for six years. Many people here eat white rice with every meal but the portion sizes are small. Brown rice is available (and delicious!) but white rice is considered perfectly healthy.

Not all Japanese are thin, though. The typical Japanese diet is not nearly as healthy as it once was, and the rates of type II diabetes here are increasing. There is fast food, junk food, sweets, and alcohol everywhere you look. I actually gained 20 pounds when I first came to Japan because the food was so delicious and I just kept shoveling it in. :D... :(

One of the great things about Japan is that many older people are incredibly active. While hiking in the mountains, I've been passed many times by groups of people who all look 30-40 years older than me.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I prefer slim actually! :drinker:
  • suanneleow
    Options
    i'm chinese. i never considered white rice unhealthy because i see too often everyone around me eating rice and staying slim. it's when you start snacking, eating larger portions 5 x a day, sweets, cakes etc

chinese ppl tend to drink a lot of water but usually always hot or warm... not cold. it's suppose to be healthier for the body. we belief it's not good to eat and drink too much cold food/drinks.

since joining mfp i realized how lil calories i eat each day despite eating everything i want to, eating healthy abd being so full that i couldnt possibly eat anymore! im not even watching what i eat, just keeping a record. probably has to do with our diet... i also so not snack at all, rarely eat sweet things or if i do i might have a bowl of hot red bean dessert or hot tofu fa with syrup... which are all quite healthy dessert.

im not thin though. the ideal weight in asia is u der 50kgs and i'm probably considered heavier in asia. im 5'4' and 55kg. but for my age 35yo and 3 young kids... im happy with my body.

btw, research acupuncture for weight loss. the biggest thing in asia. takes only a few weeks, lose real fat and you can go back to normal diet. it's really good for ppl that dont have that much to lose or targetting certain areas. it's truly amazing. so many friends have done it. can even get rid of post baby belly.
  • wibblefps
    Options
    btw, research acupuncture for weight loss. the biggest thing in asia. takes only a few weeks, lose real fat and you can go back to normal diet. it's really good for ppl that dont have that much to lose or targetting certain areas. it's truly amazing. so many friends have done it. can even get rid of post baby belly.

Acupuncture has been around for 1000s of years (allegedly) and if this worked like you claim then MacDonalds would've doubled down from day one and franchised Macupuncture clinics next door to every restaurant.

I'm guessing that there are at least as many 'Get thin quick' schemes as there are to 'Get rich quick'. Now I have a "Get thin and rich and quick" scheme. Well that's all I needed from MFP, so long suckers.......
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    BTW, I'm 5'4 and currently 113 lbs if anyone is wondering.

Wait, you're 5'4" 113 lbs and you want LOSE weight? I mean, I know these charts are just "guides", but still...

height-weight-chart.gif

Height-Weight-chart.jpg

BMI-Chart.png

weight-height-chart.jpg
  • Klima
    Klima Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    These generalizations are all racist. Stop. Eat what you want at the right amount. And move your body. The End.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    that's what I brought up, albeit with advice to go lift some weight....but I was the bad guy. I also couldn't believe noone else saw what was wrong with that post. not the asian part...but that part about being 5'4 and 113 and wanting to be smaller like asians.. I just found it funny that I'm asian and I weigh 5'3 and am 135 and she wants to know how to eat rice like an asian person who stay small and tiny.Flattering but uh...

yeah... I am going to shut my mouth now.

To the OP -just don't take advice from a half asian like me.I just had some regular white rice mixed with wild rice(cuz I like the crunch) with eggs, spinach, threw in some walnuts, drizzled in some olive oil and then tossed in a crapload of bacon. (do not eat rice this way..but it's soooo good) yesterday before my powerlifting competition. Yummy and kept me full until the end of the show.
    BTW, I'm 5'4 and currently 113 lbs if anyone is wondering.

Wait, you're 5'4" 113 lbs and you want LOSE weight? I mean, I know these charts are just "guides", but still...

height-weight-chart.gif

Height-Weight-chart.jpg

BMI-Chart.png

weight-height-chart.jpg