Why would you do that to yourself?

Options
Maidofmer
Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
Why do you do that to yourself?

I've heard this since I was a teenager, and I know full well it's not meant as a compliment or as a natural curiosity, especially when it's said with a very condescending tone.

Here I am, at the gym, minding my own business, staying out of everyone's way listening to my ear buds, music on max so I can stay in my own little world. I'm on the elliptical, trying for my 65 minutes, and a lady comes up behind me and pokes me on my side. Like a hard jab poke. I hate, HATE being touched by strangers, especially on my sides, with no warning, and while I am on a machine. I don't know anyone here, so it's not a friend. Case of mistaken identity perhaps? Waiting for a machine? Nope. There was about 15 other ellipticals available, and the look on her face, a look of disgust and, well, just a ***** look gave it away. I slowed down cause I don't want my progress erased.

"Yes?"

"Why do you do that to yourself?"

I know what she meant. I love to dye my hair. Now it is a crimson burgundy color. I also have various tattoos and piercings. I am 24. I am not going to put up with some stranger trying to put me down. I turn it around and she goes away pissed.

"Exercise? Well, I want to lose weight and get healthy. Same as everyone I guess."

Ugh. She points to my head. Nooo, (snobby tone) <i>that!</i> Why do you do that?

"Oh, uh, the music helps me get through it."

She rolls her eyes and moves a hip. "Uh, your hair."

"I put it in a bun so it won't stick to my skin when I sweat."

She's mad and I'm having a ball.

Gawd... No! Why do you dye your hair that color and have all those tattoos and piercings? I mean, why would you do that to yourself?

No side stepping that one.

"I like to, I like them, and I want to."

Snobby and ***** like. They look awful and you should have never done it.

I'm not one for petty name calling or telling people **** like that. I then ask her why she wears make up.

Uhh, it makes me look good. One eye brow raised, hands crossed, I'm-better-than-you stance.

"Shame they don't make make up for personalities because yours is disgusting."

She opened her mouth, shocked and feeling insulted, giving me the dirtiest look yet.

Cheesy, I know, but I got what I wanted. I smile, put my ear buds back in, and continue my workout.

I don't get people like that. I'm sure we all went to kindergarten and watched Bambi at one point in our lives. If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. And keep your hands to yourself.

Replies

• GenF32
    GenF32 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Haha, nice work. And well done for being so creative in your response! I guess your body art is just the outward expression of your creativity.

I would probably have only managed a "*kitten* off".
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Great responses! People need to mind their own business!
  • Addis_Daddy12
    Addis_Daddy12 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    What gall and insensitivity to have to do something like that to a total stranger.
  • Koma_Zd
    Koma_Zd Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Very good comeback :)
  • Maidofmer
    Options
    thanks. I wanted to at first, but then i'd be in a bad mood and not finish my work out
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    Nicely done!
  • waipepe
    waipepe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I would have just said " I don't speak English" in some foreign accent. This usually limits the conversation or completely freak out on purpose when being touched by making some odd gestures. Poke her and say no no . Haha
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    wow that was brazen of her!!! You responded well, I would've gone off especially her touching and poking you, like damn lady go bother someone else, or mind your own!!! Crazy *kitten* people!!!

I generally get compliments for my tattoos, but my boss smacked my arm twice when she saw a "newer" tattoo that I had (it had already been like 10 months, and she had just noticed it) asking why I would get that? So I asked her well why did you get that tattoo on your lower back that I saw when you bent over? What was it anyways I couldn't tell it looks older...wooo she was mad, but hey mind your own!!! lol
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Thumbs up to you. :drinker: Your body your choice, people need to mind their own business.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    lol! whatta *****. i would've been so taken aback. i think you handled it fantastically. she's probably a very unhappy person stuck inside that nasty epidermis.
  • adlace
    adlace Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    so not cool. People need to mind their own business. You could also say your hair and tattoos attack people who touch you without your permission. And give them the crazy eyes. But you did awesome.
  • TikiTony13
    TikiTony13 Posts: 323
    Options
    people do think they can touch u coz u have tats!ive had it.
  • MrsMX
    MrsMX Posts: 98
    Options
    You owned her!!
    Lets hope she thinks seriously before judging someone else so poorly . . . .
  • Maidofmer
    Options
    thanks all. with my tats, I have two on the left wrist and one on the right. you can only see them if you look at them. the rest are pretty well covered. but still, I just don't get it. guess some people just suck.
  • Loasaur
    Loasaur Posts: 125
    Options
    People seriously need to keep their noses to themselves. Who gives two ****s what you do with your own body? It's not like it's hurting other people. People need to not be so judgmental of others and you were right, her personality is downright disgusting!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I'm giving you an internet hug right now. It cracks me up when people go out of their way to volunteer their unasked opinions.
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Go You! She was way outta line, urgh! I can't stand people touching me either. :angry:

I wish I was as good and quick and clever with comebacks. I would have been so icked out by some stranger touching me that I would have lost the ability to construct a coherent sentence.

Team you! :drinker:
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine anyone being that crass to come up in your face and talk to you like that. Wow. She will have some serious negative Karma coming to her.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    You're a class act! Well done for the smile at the end, Queen of the impervious untouchables! We should all take a lesson from you, well done!

:flowerforyou:

PS I've been looking at your photos, and I think you look gorgeous!
  • Lovesthings
    Lovesthings Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I am not going to lie... I am totally the person who would approach you to tell you I love your hair, or your tattoo is amazing. I think people generally like to be complimented, even by strangers. But obviously, NEVER while they're working out!!! ugh. I have tattoos myself, but am afraid I am "too old" at this point to rock the colored hair that I secretly wish for :) Luckily for me, my daughter LOVES it too... so she has been rocking a color stripe in her hair since 3rd grade!