Saying "hi" while running - okay or not?

Options
melham
melham Posts: 233 Member
I am not a runner, but I run on the weekends for fun. I don't know the do's and don'ts of the running community. So here's the thing...

I run through a residential neighborhood and I like to greet people I pass when I run. Just a quick "good morning" or the like. Most people happily reply, but some runners seem really irritated. I would understand if I was running on a crowded public track, but in the neighborhood there are very few people out, and I figure they're probably my neighbors, so I want to be friendly.

So, runners, am I supposed to ignore you? Does it bother you when someone greets you under similar circumstances, like running on quiet residential streets?

Replies

• TeamDale
    TeamDale Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I greet people. I don't care if they reply or not. It makes me feel good by saying hi to them.
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Doesn't bother me, however i may only grimace back sometimes and appear grumpy as I'm trying to breath run and not quit as its getting harder.
  • love2lift_85
    love2lift_85 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I usually just wave or pant a quick, "Hi!" because I'm often too out of breath to use multiple words, LOL!

But I think it's just fine for people to greet each other. I like it when other runners are friendly, too.
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I usually see whether they make eye contact, and if not I don't bother. Only one person ever has!

I'm sure one bloke I met on Monday was doing Zombies, Run because he looked stressed out of his mind :D
  • rdianemu
    rdianemu Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Saying Hi or good morning is always OK. Sometimes I also may only grimace if its a tough run.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I live in the midwestern U.S. in the suburbs. I'd say about 90% of the people I pass while out walking will say, "Hi" or "Good morning." It's pretty normal around here to greet strangers. In really crowded, big cities, not so much.
  • GFielding_56
    GFielding_56 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I always acknowledge other runners, dog walkers etc - It's only polite isn't it?

If they ignore or turn up their nose then Pah! to them they are obviously not a sociable person like ourselves!

Well done you for being polite and trying
  • Stripycat
    Stripycat Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Most runners will nod, smile or say "Hi" back, but then again... some people are just miserable.

RunnersWorld did a Twitter campaign #runnersmile to encourage a bit of community spirit.
  • kimothie
    kimothie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a Southern gal, so I'm used to just walking around and saying "hey" and smiling when eye contact is made in every day life. People respond in kind. If they don't- who cares? You were nice. Sometimes if I'm really out of breath I'll get an encouraging "C'mon, let's go! Work it girl!" from a passing jogger, which feels awesome rather than patronizing.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I say "Hi" or pop a little wave to everyone I pass (biker, runner, walker, rollerblader). I don't care if they respond ... but it's nice when they do. I think it makes the trail/road a much friendlier place.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I ignore, sometimes I say hi. Uusally I'm in my own little world when I'm running. That said, I generally see maybe 3-4 people on average on a run.
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I check for eye contact, and if they look at me, I'll say hi. If they don't, then I don't. More often than not I'm saying hi to someone.
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    YES! totally okay to say HI while running!
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    i wave and smile if i have the breath for it i say hello.

on a really good day - i high-five people passing me.
    but this is Minnesota, and we're bad *kitten* like that. :)
  • JerseyGirlinTN
    JerseyGirlinTN Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel good, have at it! But don't be offended if you don't get a response from other runners.

When I run, I'm very very focused. I'm concentrating on my pacing, my breathing, my music, my surroundings (the ground/potholes, weirdos, random loose dogs, wild animals in the park, cars, etc.). If I'm distracted, it can really throw me off. It has nothing to do with being rude - I'm just really bad at multitasking, lol!!!!
  • Otrogen
    Otrogen Posts: 65
    Options
    Eh. I prefer to not say hi. I get very heavily focused on my workout while I'm doing it and the distraction of being forced to acknowledge other runners and their shallow politeness messes up my rhythm and throws off my pacing. I also highly suspect it has much to do with being introverted and having an innate disgust for shallow and meaningless small talk.

That said, I always have music going and earbuds in, so most people look at me and know I don't want to be bothered, and they act accordingly. That makes it incredibly irritating when people STILL try to communicate with me, and I very much let them know that via facial expressions and tone.

Edited to add: I realize I sound grumpy, but I promise I'm only grumpy when people force verbal communication into my run despite me having the universal sign for "leave me alone" aka the earbuds in. I never mind a smile :).
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Well, I've personally never been offended by a greeting while running! I run the same streets a lot and often recognize fellow runners. I almost never speak to anyone, but I do make eye contact and smile. Smiling helps get me through the tough spots too!
  • ShannonKN
    ShannonKN Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that it is good etiquette to acknowledge other runners/dog walkers/etc., but recognize that some people might be focused elsewhere and not notice. I've had several times when I've tried to smile at someone as I went by, only to end up making a stupid grimacing face instead. I figure I'd only compound the awkwardness by turning around and chasing them to apologize and explain that I really was trying to smile in greeting through a tough interval push, but that seems much worse. :laugh:
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I always at least smile and nod. I find the most competitive athletes (you can see them wearing all the race gear - I live in an Ironman town) are the only ones who seem above this polite gesture.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I always say hi.