Saying "hi" while running - okay or not?

Options

Replies

• bokchoybaby
    bokchoybaby Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's ever a problem with greeting other runners. Just keep in mind that there are hundreds of reasons someone might not say "hello" back and most of them have absolutely nothing to do with you. You might also be reading irritation when there is none.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    If someone makes eye contact I always assume they mean to kidnap me so I pepper spray them, blow a whistle, and run away.

markanimatedspray.gif

I've avoided 3 abductions this month alone. Always be prepared.
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I check for eye contact, and if they look at me, I'll say hi. If they don't, then I don't. More often than not I'm saying hi to someone.
    this!
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I greet people. I don't care if they reply or not. It makes me feel good by saying hi to them.

I'm the same way.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    If someone makes eye contact I always assume they mean to kidnap me so I pepper spray them, blow a whistle, and run away.

markanimatedspray.gif

Do you have ANY idea how long it took to get the pepper spray out of my eyes that last time!?!?

Soon, my sweet tasty Waffle, sooon. :devil:

You've got to rest sometime...
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Smile, nod and say morning. You'll feel better about yourself - being in a positive mood. If they don't say anything back or get angry, ****'em

markanimatedspray.gif

You can never be too cautious.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I always at least smile and nod. I find the most competitive athletes (you can see them wearing all the race gear - I live in an Ironman town) are the only ones who seem above this polite gesture.

^ This is my experience as well. Most runners are just glad to have someone in the club with them.

The competitive folk tend to be pushing really hard when I see them, and their mind is on their performance.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I don't always speak, but there is usually a nod or a hand wave - some sort of acknowledgement. One dude fist-bumped me once. That was pretty awesome.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Greet them- it shows you are friendly and most people respond in like. I always greet people as well. If they dont answer back well bleh to them
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I typically say "hi" or smile or wave, or at least try to. It might come out "ugh" and the smile might look like a grimmace and my wave might look more like I'm swatting at a mosquito.

Sometimes I say "good morning," then realize it's well into the afternoon. My brain ceases to function properly when I run.
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, I give an honest and cheerful good morning. I'm trying to be neighborly, friendly, and wouldn't mind encouraging the many obese people I see standing there like a lump watering their flowers or struggling to retrieve their morning newspaper to get out and join me sometime.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    If the earbuds are in, silence is in order, feel free to wave though. If the earbuds are out, greet away.

That's my logic anyway.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I smile. My boobs do the waving for me.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Paragraph 5, Section IV, Chapter 16 of the "Official Etiquette Manual for Runners (North American Edition)" clearly states, and I quote "When passing a fellow runner where fewer than 5, but more than 3, runners are present, a quick "hello" or brief wave is all that is required. Anything more is purely optional, but may be proper interpreted as a come on in the event that the runners in question are of the opposite sex or are both homosexual, in which event a response of "yes" or "eff off loser" or "ooo icky creeper" is appropriate."
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I like to say hi to people when they walk/run by. However i don't really say hi going by, it gets awkward and im so focused on breathing haha. Probably why i go at night when no one is around and avoid running the same path as someone else haha
  • Amber1silver
    Options
    Hi there,
    I love to go running and sometimes greet people and have the exact same reactions you get but I was noticing it for a while and realized that some people are so concentrated in what they are doing or just plain tired that they seem to get annoyed. I say don't mind it keep being friendly and ignore those who react angrily!
    Good Luck!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I smile. My boobs do the waving for me.

A sine wave right?

sinewave-300x111.jpeg
  • RoamingDuck
    Options
    I live in Kentucky and people say hi to each other all the time...I notice older runners/walkers say hi but not younger ones. I wish there was a little bit more comradery among us runners!
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm mainly a biker, but I'll greet everyone. I noticed bikers respond more to other bikers, runners respond more to other runners, etc. (Rollerbladers, with your projectile legs of death and destruction - you're on your own!) When walking my Golden Retriever, she insists we greet nearly every walker/dogwalker - assuming they aren't opposed to the interaction. I find the greeting etiquette between/among groups rather curious, but totally understandable. Gotta show solidarity to your "people" (or fellow canines)!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'm mainly a biker, but I'll greet everyone. I noticed bikers respond more to other bikers, runners respond more to other runners, etc. (Rollerbladers, with your projectile legs of death and destruction - you're on your own!) ...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

People still rollerblade?