Fitbit....should I get one? I already have a hrm ??

Options

Replies

• norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I've had my fitbit one for about 2 weeks and I love it! I have it synced with MFP and I'm basically letting it dictate my calorie intake for the day. I've started following the fitbit suggestions the Sunday before last, and I lost 2 lbs that week. Prior to that, I was averaging .7 to 1 lb per week following MFP's suggestions and then switching over to TDEE -20%.

I'm not sure if I'll get the same results every week, but even if I don't, I still like that I can have fitbit friends that I compete against, as well as just having it on and wanting to get in my steps in everyday. Sometimes I'm walking in place during various times of the day just to get some steps in.

At the very least, it keeps me moving!

I have a Polar FT7, and the only time I use it now is when I use my kettlebells.
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I recently started using my FitBit again after a year of sticking it in a drawer.

I'm really using it now as a sanity check to make sure I'm hitting the TDEE the calculators estimate for me.

I also have an HRM that I use when I workout to make sure my heart doesn't explode.
  • manique45
    manique45 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I never heard of fitbit till I read about it on here. I have a polar hrm should I get a fitbit or is there any point? I didn't think I'd love my hrm as much as I do so handy. Would it even be worth it or pointless getting a fitbit now.

Look into a Body Media, if your going to spend the $$$ I would advise to get the best one with the highest Accuracy! I love mine and Love seeing how it calculates everything... no need to worry about tracking my exercise cals as mfp links with my body media account! its wonderful!
  • brinsy
    brinsy Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Don't think they have body media here
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    That's what I was slightly thinking of.. My job is sedentary. Was thinking that maybe the fitbit would help me to move more...maybe.

This is exactly why my husband uses his fitbit, and why I use a nike fuel band. It is a great reminder to "move when you can"
  • brinsy
    Options
    Yeah like my job is sedentary but I walk to work and there are days are work where I would be more than sedentary. Like mfp has my calories a day set at 1200 but then my tdee is 1790. It's more for figuring out exactly I suppose
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    decided to retract my answer.
  • brandil74
    brandil74 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love my fit bit! i had the polar hrm but never wore it because that chest strap is uncomfortable and a pain in the butt! so i waould always "forget " to put it on. A friend of mine introduced me to fitbit and i love it. i sold my polar on ebay for $60 which helped with the cost of the fitbit. I wear my fitbit all day vs. the 1 hr a week i would actually wear my hrm.
  • brinsy
    Options
    I do love my hrm though. Gives a more accurate reading of calories burned
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I think it depends a lot on what your main source of exercise is. If you don't walk much, a fitbit is probably pretty useless. I love my fitbit but I walk a lot so it gives me a better idea of how many calories I burn a day (I just adjust my MFP goal to be 20% under my fitbit average after I add my workout calories, which is pretty much 400-500 a week, as I only really do weights apart from walking).

ETA: getting a fitbit was a big eye opener for me, by the way, I realized I wasn't as active as I thought I was, and that most people are probably really sedentary unless they actually take time to walk 3+ miles a day.
  • brandil74
    brandil74 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do love my hrm though. Gives a more accurate reading of calories burned

The fitbit is surprisingly accurate. It takes into account all your stats, measures your strides, etc.

I think the one and flex are the same as far as what they measure and track.
    I have the One, i like it because i can wear it all the time(except in the water) I dont think i would like the flex because its a big clunky bracelet that doesnt always match what im wearing(lol) but a friend of mine has it and loves it.
  • TheGreatYaYa
    TheGreatYaYa Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar HRM and LOVE it. Bought a fitbit to keep track of my steps per day and used it for a while but not any more. I noticed that the fitbit didn't calculate calories burned as well as my HRM does. It was always at least 100 cals. lower than the HRM showed. I trust the HRM more than the fitbut, so I use it.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    That's what I was slightly thinking of.. My job is sedentary. Was thinking that maybe the fitbit would help me to move more...maybe.

It certainly does that. Being aware of just how few steps you have done spurs you on to do more - especially when you're going to lose calories to eat otherwise!

I'd recommend the FitBit One. Unobtrusive (clips inside my bra), less likely to catch on things or trap dirt and won't clash with a fancy outfit! I think I move my arms more than my body so wouldn't trust the read out on the Flex.

My FitBit One gave me just 3 calories less than the gym machines did today too so I'm happy with the accuracy.
  • colleend2013
    Options
    I have both Polar HRM & FitBit One. If I were forced to give up one of them - it would be the HRM. The FitBit keeps me motivated to do more all of the time. I love competing with friends and colleagues at work - which is also a huge motivator for me. If you are looking for some extra motivation - get the FitBit. The stats and badges make it fun too!
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    You're talking apples and oranges.

A HRM is for measuring workout burns, not daily activity burn. A Fitbit measures your daily activity as a whole; not just your workouts. Many people have and use both because they do different things but work well together.

This. Also, make sure you compare all manufacturers and models. I did, and ended up choosing a BodyMedia device. I don't care about wearing the armband, though. For some people, it's a deal breaker.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I have both. I find my HRM does exaggerate my calories burned ( at least 200 above what MFT suggests), but it's good for making sure I'm working hard. Fitbit is good because it counts calories in real time, the whole day. So if I sit around all day I can't fool myself into thinking I've been active because the numbers are right there.

Two totally different items, but both very useful if you love numbers!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I have both. I find my HRM does exaggerate my calories burned ( at least 200 above what MFT suggests), but it's good for making sure I'm working hard. Fitbit is good because it counts calories in real time, the whole day. So if I sit around all day I can't fool myself into thinking I've been active because the numbers are right there.

Two totally different items, but both very useful if you love numbers!

My HRM tries to give me almost twice the calories the Precor gym equipment gives me. I trust my FitBit more but agree it's not entirely reliable on things like yoga or weights.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have both as well and love my Fitbit for keeping me going all day, not just when I have my HRM on;)
  • lstroth1
    lstroth1 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit flex and love it. I have wondered about getting a heart rate monitor (chest strap type) and if it would be of any benefit to me.

The main reason I am considering a heart rate monitor is that I am not supposed to get my heart rate too high due existing cardiac issues. I have always monitored it by how well I can breath/talk during activity or by stopping and taking my pulse. Devices that require me to stop and touch never seem to accurately register my HR. I hate having to stop completely to measure my heart rate and would prefer maybe having something that actually continually measures heart rate.

Also as far as HRM go what should a person get and about how much do they cost if you have one.
  • brinsy
    Options
    I have the polar ft 40. I love it. Can't remember how much it cost though. A lot on here have the ft4 and ft7 and they love love them.