Replies

• connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    bump
  • grentea
    grentea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is the sugar that people are afraid of, but the junk food and the empty calories that usually have a lot of sugar. A lot of people are eating a lot of processed unhealthy foods.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Carbs are good for you unless you're diabetic. They provide you with energy. Extreme low carb diets i.e. ketogenic diets are good for very quick very short-term fat loss. They aren't sustainable.

I am not talking low carb. I know carbs are good for you. But I am talking about pure sugar...not potatoes or bread or other carbs. You DON'T need to ingest pure sugar to survive....that's why our bodies convert carbs to glucose. It may sound simplistic, but its true.
  • apatheticsloth
    Options
    I'm not afraid of "sugar", I'm shocked by how quickly the number climbs in my food diary when I eat healthy food.

Perhaps I'm out of my league in this discussion.
  • simplysweetpeach
    Options
    Just like there is "good" fat and "bad" fat there is good sugar and bad sugar. Its pretty obvious as to which is which. 1 in 3 Americans are at risk for type 2 diabetes. Its threads like this one that make me realize why. Dont ever feel bad about slipping up and eating sugar but dont make it a daily habit either, MFP makes you watch what you are eating so you have a more realistic idea of what your putting in your mouth. Yesterday I was at the check out counter and saw the candy bars they put right there in your face and I kept staring at it yearning for the pack of reeses so finally i picked it up and read the sugar content and it was OVER my entire days alotted sugar. If that wasnt enough motivation to put down the candy bar I dont know what is lol. Sugar is bad for you, thats just it, there is a reason vegetable intake is higher than fruit.
  • pollypocket3
    pollypocket3 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't the enemy. Neither are fat or calories. The inability to use moderation and being averse to nutritious food (ie, "I don't eat vegetables") are the enemies.

Well put! I have to second this!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    you can't have a discussion about "sugar" without understanding the glycemic index chart and the effect of foods with high GI vs. foods with low GI. Foods with a low GI....like most veggies, apples, grapefruit, berries, sweet potato, etc.....take longer to digest and they do not cause a spike in free roaming insulin in your body. Foods with high GI....like basically every processed food and refined sugar, along with "white" stuff like bread, potatoes, etc....they digest QUICKLY and they cause free roaming insulin spike in the body. What's the problem with insulin? That's the hormone that STORES the food you eat. Also, it keeps glucagon to a minimum and that's the hormone that helps with using the foods you eat for energy. When you eat foods that digest more quickly, you get hungry sooner...which usually isn't as conducive for fat loss because when you're hungry, you have to use more will power to avoid over eating. Meanwhile, if you eat quality carbs with a low GI that do not digest quickly (along with lean protein and healthy fats), you don't get hungry as quick and will power isn't as much an issue. Plus, when you eat processed foods/sugars, you tend to want to eat more and more no matter how quickly the calories are adding up. Again, this requires more will power to keep calories at a fat burning level....something that's not necessary if you keep foods with a high GI rating to a minimum.
  • L64Reed
    L64Reed Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sugar is an additive to foods (along with fat) that can make things addictive. It's not that sugar is bad, it's that sometimes it is hard to turn off the want for all things sugary. I believe that's why most people eat it in low amounts when watching what they eat. However, I would choose real sugar over fake sugars any day. But I feel better when I'm not eating LOTS of sugar. I do not pay attention to going over my sugar when I am eating fruits, but it does remind me how much sugar is in certain fruits and not in others,which is good to be aware of too I suppose.

Check out Dwindling Expectations and share thoughts and ideas on weight loss! YOLO!

L64Reed
  • airdale8263
    airdale8263 Posts: 2,155 Member
    Options
    Not afraid of sugar even as a diabetic. It is all about moderation and the type of carbs you have. High-fiber complex carbohydrates are what are recommennded for me.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Sugar killed my parents.

But seriously I don't have sugar issues. I am over my sugar goal by lunch and it isn't from fruit and yet here I am, losing a little over my planned one pound a week. I stay in my calorie goal so meh to sugar making me more hungry or craving more sugar. Sugar didn't make me fat, a calorie surplus did, and so I see no issue with my nightly ice cream and cookies. Calories well spent.

Other people's mileage obviously varies.
  • Lovesthings
    Lovesthings Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My daily sugar overage is from grapes & other fruit. I'm fine with that.
  • apatheticsloth
    Options
    Obviously everyone has their own interpretation of "sugar". We're not even comparing apples to apples (pardon the pun) here in this thread.

MY point was....I can't even eat healthy without going over in sugars according to the MFP diary thingie and I guess I don't understand WHY fruits and veggies count so high.

Anyhow, whatever...I know what to eat and what not to eat. :shrug
  • evviamarshall
    evviamarshall Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I fear it right now because I'm trying to lose weight and sugar zaps my energy so I don't feel like working out. It also dehydrates me quickly and its extra cals that are not really giving me any nutritional value. I like sugary foods, but they don't mesh well with what I'm trying to do right now in my life.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm fine with brown sugar, honey, agave syrup, fruit...

But refined white sugar? I try to keep it down to my .5 cup of ice cream.

I'd eliminate it all together if I could, but abandoning ice cream is not a possibility :)

Here's why:
    http://www.trueactivist.com/top-10-most-unhealthy-cancer-causing-foods-never-eat-these-again/

Sugar is no. 7 on the list.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Natural sugar from fruits and vegetables is cool with me...I don't worry about it killing my macros.

I'm not a fan of refined sugar or sugar substitutes.

8488541.png
  • Anonymous199616
    Options
    Hey, everyone has to be afraid of something, right?

Me? I'm afraid of killer clowns from outer space.

Sugar? Not so much.

tumblr_ln4oop7eYf1qaivaao1_500_zps94c6dee5.jpg
    Well now I'll have nightmares....:sad:
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Obviously everyone has their own interpretation of "sugar".

My interpretation of "sugar" is as an ingredient. In a jar of plain applesauce, the ingredients are "apples" and maybe ascorbic acid.....not "apples with apple fructose, ascorbic acid". But in a cake, its "flour, eggs, shortening, SUGAR".

Sugars in fruit and veggies is not to be worried about. As a diabetic, I don't even worry about it.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Because sugar is the debil. Do you even forum?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, sugar (if you don't burn it off) is converted to fat faster than any other food. If you are active and eat a lot of sugar, your body will use that as fuel and not burn your fat.....and you will end up craving more sugar.
    Glycogen stores need to be depleted in order for fat stores to be accessed...........this is true. However what most people don't know is that body fat is burned AT REST is larger amounts than from exercise. Sugar has nothing to do with burning body fat at rest.
    One can eat sugar and be in calorie deficit and lose fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    This thread again...