Why is everyone so afraid of sugar?

Options

Replies

• CubanSammich
    Options
    Sugar deactivates antioxidants, which causes you to age faster.. which also causes your immune system to be weaker, which also creates a breeding ground for cancer..

There are TONS of other reasons.. GOOGLE IT

googled it. saw studies that suggested the opposite of what you are saying. saw blogs that supported what you are saying. not believing what you are saying.

Maybe you should do more research.. perhaps everyone should do more research before posting their opinions on public forum.. When you're incorrect, it doesn't make you seem too smart.. just saying..

You were the one that made the claim (without dose) about sugar intake leading to weakened immunity and faster aging. You didn't provide anything to back those claims up other than your opinion.

If you're going to make a rather bold claim about sugar you should be prepared to back it up rather than hurling insults when you're challenged on your claims.

I'm sorry for making a comment and not backing it up with facts. I have read multiple studies, so I don't have the links on hand.. One link

http://www.prevention.com/beauty/beauty/how-sugar-ages-your-skin

Another link:
    http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/healthy-eating/why-sugar-bad?page=all

In your opinion, does the above information constitute "research"?

If its on the internet, then it just has to be true.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Holy google failure in this tread batman!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sugar deactivates antioxidants, which causes you to age faster.. which also causes your immune system to be weaker, which also creates a breeding ground for cancer..

There are TONS of other reasons.. GOOGLE IT

googled it. saw studies that suggested the opposite of what you are saying. saw blogs that supported what you are saying. not believing what you are saying.

Maybe you should do more research.. perhaps everyone should do more research before posting their opinions on public forum.. When you're incorrect, it doesn't make you seem too smart.. just saying..

Ironic post is...well, you know the rest...
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Does it make me naughty I'm drinking a chai latte while reading this? :3
  • CubanSammich
    Options
    I just did like 3 lines of sugar straight to the head..
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Dude, better slow down, don't wanna OD!
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately surplus of sugar does weaken your immune system and make you more susceptible to getting sick. I actually never get sick until I eat a lot of sugar in one day...then I almost get sick guaranteed the next!
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I don't think people are afraid of sugar but many people rely on MFP to help them lose weight & are trying to stick to the numbers MFP gives them. They can become alarmed when they think they are eating right but find themselves over on the allowed sugar (or sodium or protein or whatever).

Sugar does not cause Diabetes.

Yes, this. I started a thread recently about the sugar tracker on here, I thought it was set too low but did research and found that actually yes, an adult woman is not supposed to have more than 26g of sugar a day. Very hard to do. A glass of milk and a peach will put you over. So I stopped tracking it. Started tracking fibre instead. Much prefer those green numbers on my food log and honestly unless I see some adverse effects of eating 40g instead of 26g I'm not going to worry about it.
  • NostalgicMuse
    NostalgicMuse Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'm only scared of sugar when it goes to my children's heads...and when it prompts threads like this. :embarassed:
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • BostonStrong617
    Options
    I actually run into serious trouble when I try and limit my sugar...so I don't worry about it at all. I do try and keep my carbs in check but couldn't really care less about my "sugar" allowance because fruit for breakfast pretty much puts me at my limit at least according to MFP
  • brittney1211
    brittney1211 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The problem is there is so much added Sugar in everything we eat. Too much sugar actually causes a fatty liver which can lead to cirrhosis of the liver just as alcohol does.
  • loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Natural sugars are fine .. Everything in moderation!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Sugar does not cause Diabetes.

Yes, it does.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0057873
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately surplus of sugar does weaken your immune system and make you more susceptible to getting sick. I actually never get sick until I eat a lot of sugar in one day...then I almost get sick guaranteed the next!
    But what if I don't? Does that make your statement invalid? Or does this problem just lie with you?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bernicesmission
    Options
    I no longer track mine. If 3 pieces of fruit a day is going to put me over I'm not willing to listen!

I agree with this completely, it depends where your sugar comes from, i love eating fruit and im not eating cake or chocolate or candy so if i go over my sugar allownace i dont care because i know its from healthy foods!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I just ate a cup of sugar and I HAVE THE POWER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ5LpwO-An4
  • Granville_Cocteau
    Granville_Cocteau Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    There are good reasons to limit sugar in the diet, though for people who are exercising a lot, when you get into eliminating nutrituous carbs--whole grains, pasta, fruit, potatoes--that's where it gets extreme. Much of the anti-sugar literature is writing from a cultural perspective and is linking sugar intake to obesity in certain cultures. I think that's fair enough, but when they go so far as to claim "sugar is toxic," it's to sell books, and so even people who are fit and active are brainwashed into believing that they will die early at the hands of 60cals of Gatorade they consume after an hour run, which they should be having anyways to prevent dehydration.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't doesn't cause diabetes according to the American Diabetes Association. It is however linked to sugary drinks and being overweight.
    A linking or correlation doesn't imply that sugar is the actual cause. Genetics and lifestyle are much higher factors.

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-myths/

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • floareaciprian
    floareaciprian Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I believe it is definately a misconception. It's not the sugar that made/makes us fat, it's the amount of which we take it in. If I ask someone for some kind of advice they say well if you cut this and that then you will lose. Umm nope, well maybe for a bit, but in my case before I started figuring this stuff out a little better I tried it all, and didn't get anywhere long term. I no longer cut anything from my diet, if it fits in my calories and my macros and I want it. I'll have it, and may have it the next day too. Maybe that's just me, but it's working and I'm still losing and a healthy rate.

Try that with finetti every day and you will never loose weight again. The human body does not burn fat between 48-72 hours after eating something in high sugars.

Links? Sources? Proof?

Who needs proof when you have wild claims based on bull****?

Honestly, I always hope they have some kind of blog/article/livestrong.com write up to back them up so I can read it and laugh. Does that make me a bad person?

Some people like comedy movies, people like you factless articles.
    Not bad.

I like the way you put this. I always think of it as laughing at other people's gullibility and guilt follows. But you make it sound more like it's just my way of amusing myself, which isn't something to feel guilty about.

And, that said, still waiting for sources on how having high sugar days will stop me from losing weight for 3 days. Cause I may havea graph based on my diary data that shows my stupidly high sugar levels seem to have a slight positive correlation with my weight loss. Don't leave me hanging Flo.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/balance-your-blood-sugar-lose-weight

It's all over the internet, if you bothered to read..or ask any nutrition doctor about insulin and hormones.
    And it's from my personal experience, no matter what cardio or weight training i will do 2 days after my cheat days, i won't loose weight. Staying at a caloric deficit and meeting your macro nutrients goals is not all that matters if you eat finetti or some other poison.

The main reason for me not eating high sugar processed items is because i have to work 3 days to get back, and my energy levels will go down abruptly after that sugar is out of my system.