Why is everyone so afraid of sugar?

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    This age card thing is ridiculous as is the black and white thinking that a diet must be either "entirely junk" or "no junk".

There exists a massive grey area in between the two endpoints of "I eat a diet of exclusively ice cream" and "I eat exclusively whole foods without any added sugar" and quite frankly most people can and probably should lie somewhere in between those endpoints. But when we have discussions like this where people just exclude the middle and only talk about the endpoints they don't tend to get anywhere meaningful because now we're just setting up strawmen and knocking them down again.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/excluding-the-middle.html

I'm pretty sure nobody here is suggesting that anyone eat a diet that is predominantly ice cream.

I will claim that everyone here, including diabetics at any age, can eat a diet that contains some quantity of ice cream and lose weight successfully provided the diet is tightly controlled. Young active males with no metabolic conditions will be allowed more ice cream than middle-aged diabetics, just as an example. Because energy output.

Am I saying you all should eat ice cream? No, because for various reasons you may choose not to. Maybe you can only fit in half a scoop and that's just enough to piss you off and make you want to eat the whole container. That's a perfectly fine reason to choose not to. Maybe you don't like ice cream. Maybe you feel better eating a diet that is entirely composed of whole foods. All that's fine and dandy. But if you're going to claim that it, or sugar, will make you fat or shut down your immune system or give you cancer at any quantity that's when I'd say you're doing people a disservice by spreading your misinformation.

It's easy to say all this when you're an ectomorph. C'mon man, spare me the lessons, no one eats just an ice cream or just a cup, they eat half a pound or more...sugar is bad for 99% of the population, just leave it at that. Btw, if anybody is an ectomorph and reads my message, please eat 3 kg of ice cream, it doesn't matter for you.

Somebody is fooling themselves if they think that eating ice cream but in the same time staying at a caloric deficit will do the job. First of all, it won't and second...you'll be so dried out, have no energy and be hungry all the time because you cannot eat anything anymore, because you ate ice cream this morning and have no calories left to get in :))

I'm convinced you are trolling at this point.

Well duh.

I'm a bit slow on the troll detection typically.

That's okay, I was gleefully suckered in until he proclaimed himself a Mezomorph (sic) last night. Then it all became clear to me.
  • lmsupar
    lmsupar Posts: 8
    Options
    I started to write a really long post about my gripes with the ideas of nutrition that are constantly buzzing around this site, but then my internet malfunctioned and the post got lost, or at least I think it did :-). Sugar, like all things is necessary for us to survive. We need a simple sugar, glucose, to produce the energy currency of our cells, ATP. Carbohydrates, which include starches, simple sugars, and more complex versions like cellulose (which we can't actually digest, by the way), are a necessary part of our diet and there's absolutely no reason for a person without diabetes to worry excessively about eating them. We need fruit, it has important vitamins and minerals in it. Sugar? Yes, fruit contains sugar. Remember our good friend lactose, which people sometimes don't tolerate, particularly in the western hemisphere where we consume so much of it? Sugar. Sugar is everywhere in everything. This is my opinion on the matter, as I am not a nutritionist, but rather a cancer researcher who focuses on the impact of cellular metabolism on metastasis. We need food. It's not the enemy. It's like a friend that gets snotty or pissy with you when you want to spend time with someone else but knows how to make us happy when we're sad. For many of us, myself included, food is a comfort. The consumption of food, particularly carbohydrates, releases neurotransmitters that stimulate the pleasure centers of our brain. No, not the same as foreplay, if you were wondering ;-) There are plenty of physiological and psychological reasons why we eat QUANTITIES of food that are unhealthy. The important thing is that we realize why we are eating what we're eating, whether we like how it makes us feel physically, and how it makes us feel emotionally in the long run. We're trying to make lifestyle changes here on MFP, not trying to diet. Dieting means giving up. We're not trying to give things up. We're trying to sustain our bodies with the right mix of food and exercise that makes us feel self-confident and keeps health problems associated with poor diet and lack of exercise away. Yes, you can eat ice cream and if it ends up that you eat the whole half gallon, how does it make you feel? Only you can answer that. Just like only you can figure out the combination of different foods that makes you feel the best. And feeling good is the ONLY thing that's important. Sorry, I ended up ranting anyway... As always, I will continue to pray for every person on MFP to find their optimal comfort zone and that satisfaction that comes with being the person you want to be (physically and emotionally.

Regards,
    Larissa
  • brit__2006
    brit__2006 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    This age card thing is ridiculous as is the black and white thinking that a diet must be either "entirely junk" or "no junk".

There exists a massive grey area in between the two endpoints of "I eat a diet of exclusively ice cream" and "I eat exclusively whole foods without any added sugar" and quite frankly most people can and probably should lie somewhere in between those endpoints. But when we have discussions like this where people just exclude the middle and only talk about the endpoints they don't tend to get anywhere meaningful because now we're just setting up strawmen and knocking them down again.

I'm pretty sure nobody here is suggesting that anyone eat a diet that is predominantly ice cream.

I will claim that everyone here, including diabetics at any age, can eat a diet that contains some quantity of ice cream and lose weight successfully provided the diet is tightly controlled. Young active males with no metabolic conditions will be allowed more ice cream than middle-aged diabetics, just as an example. Because energy output.

Am I saying you all should eat ice cream? No, because for various reasons you may choose not to. Maybe you can only fit in half a scoop and that's just enough to piss you off and make you want to eat the whole container. That's a perfectly fine reason to choose not to. Maybe you don't like ice cream. Maybe you feel better eating a diet that is entirely composed of whole foods. All that's fine and dandy. But if you're going to claim that it, or sugar, will make you fat or shut down your immune system or give you cancer at any quantity that's when I'd say you're doing people a disservice by spreading your misinformation.

It's easy to say all this when you're an ectomorph. C'mon man, spare me the lessons, no one eats just an ice cream or just a cup, they eat half a pound or more...sugar is bad for 99% of the population, just leave it at that. Btw, if anybody is an ectomorph and reads my message, please eat 3 kg of ice cream, it doesn't matter for you.

Somebody is fooling themselves if they think that eating ice cream but in the same time staying at a caloric deficit will do the job. First of all, it won't and second...you'll be so dried out, have no energy and be hungry all the time because you cannot eat anything anymore, because you ate ice cream this morning and have no calories left to get in :))
    I ate half a cup of ice cream yesterday... Am I superhuman?

This!! I actually have a pint that has lasted me umm about a month this time. Few spoon fulls at a time. I must be superhuman too.
  • lmsupar
    lmsupar Posts: 8
    Options

Correlation not causation. Sorry, but you don't get causation from a survey, however advanced the survey might sound. And PLOS one is an open access journal with quick peer review and a low impact factor. If you're going to try to be "sciency" in your citing of evidence, well, you might not want to. And you might try learning how to interpret peer reviewed articles at the same time. Or, perhaps, just explaining how it makes you feel personally and making an honest and thoughtful contribution to the thread that required reflection, not blind citation. Just a thought.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Please tell me more about ice cream and plateaus. I'm truly curious as to your experience, as I've never had one of these famed plateaus. Sure, I've eaten at maintenance calories for periods of time, but I have never failed to lose weight for any period of time in a calorie deficit, regardless of ice cream or beer.

I find it interesting that in one post you are promising failure, and in another you're saying that you're just different. Which is it? Are there scientific principles that are applicable to the general population or is everyone so different that science is a waste of time?

So i am going to achieve 10% body fat eating ice cream? Is that what you're implying? Gonna buy me some ice cream right now, see you later.
    Some have gotten lower than 10% by eating ice cream along with other sugary delights like kids cereal, pancakes slathered in syrup etc

Oh to be young again...remember when I could get away with a crap diet and still make gains...Let me know how that works for you when your say about 50:wink:

Seems to be working great for both my wife and I at 41.

Ah, but I'm pretty sure I'll be dead by the time I'm 95 and we can all blame my ice cream.]
  • BeachIron
    Options
    Please tell me more about ice cream and plateaus. I'm truly curious as to your experience, as I've never had one of these famed plateaus. Sure, I've eaten at maintenance calories for periods of time, but I have never failed to lose weight for any period of time in a calorie deficit, regardless of ice cream or beer.

I find it interesting that in one post you are promising failure, and in another you're saying that you're just different. Which is it? Are there scientific principles that are applicable to the general population or is everyone so different that science is a waste of time?

So i am going to achieve 10% body fat eating ice cream? Is that what you're implying? Gonna buy me some ice cream right now, see you later.

I'm not saying that you are going to achieve anything, and you clearly don't want to deal with evidence that contradicts your strong opinions. You claimed that sugar is going to cause people to plateau. Where is that plateau? I am also 41, not in my 20s, so this "wait until you're older" thing doesn't seem to ring true either.

You know what does work? A balanced diet with some treats, a calorie deficit, and some hard work in the gym. It isn't magic.

ETA: You still didn't answer the question and instead changed the subject. Which is it? Are we all special snowflakes or are there scientific principles that are applicable to the general population?
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm not afraid of sugar. ROAR!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Ummmm...I eat a serving (1/2 cup actually) every day...and stop at 1/2 cup. And yep...my caloric intake is 300 calories and I can only fit in 1/2 cup of ice cream. /smh
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Some have gotten lower than 10% by eating ice cream along with other sugary delights like kids cereal, pancakes slathered in syrup etc

Oh to be young again...remember when I could get away with a crap diet and still make gains...Let me know how that works for you when your say about 50:wink:

Ah, but I'm pretty sure I'll be dead by the time I'm 95 and we can all blame my ice cream.]

<--- 46 years old here and I eat ice cream every single day. I also eat nutrient dense foods. So, it is all going to hell in a hand basket in 4 years?. I better make the most if them I suppose.
  • tootchute
    tootchute Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I have sugar with my coffee.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

You are 4 years older than me and male. Some sugar in your diet, or some ice cream does not a crap diet make.
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I believe it is definately a misconception. It's not the sugar that made/makes us fat, it's the amount of which we take it in. If I ask someone for some kind of advice they say well if you cut this and that then you will lose. Umm nope, well maybe for a bit, but in my case before I started figuring this stuff out a little better I tried it all, and didn't get anywhere long term. I no longer cut anything from my diet, if it fits in my calories and my macros and I want it. I'll have it, and may have it the next day too. Maybe that's just me, but it's working and I'm still losing and a healthy rate.

Same with me :) I totally agree.

BTW congrats on the great weight loss :) WTG :)
  • BeachIron
    Options

<--- 46 years old here. So, it is all going to hell in a hand basket in 4 years?. I better make the most if them I suppose.

^ She can also deadlift more than most men on this site, which leads me to wonder if there are special performance enhancing properties to ice cream . . . lol

You know, like sugar. Seriously though, I keep pop tarts and other sweet snacks in my gym bag for heavy days. It's energy. It does help, and I am not alone in this practice. The point is balancing your diet in such a way that you achieve your goals, and there are a lot of enjoyable foods that you can fit in there to achieve that.
  • melba_321
    melba_321 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I just stay away from beet sugar which is highly bleached and refined. I don't eat very much sugar at all, but when I do, I make sure it is raw (unbleached) pure cane sugar, local honey, pure maple or for my "substitute" I only use stevia. I've had more issues with artificial sweeteners than sugar. I don't have sugar cravings though, especially after letting go of soda.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    49 here. A few months from 50. What do you think so far?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Sugar doesn't cause diabetes. When I had Gestational Diabetes, my Endocrinologist said normal people could eat a whole chocolate cake and not have their blood sugar exit the normal range.

:heart:
    Exactly.
    I need this on a t-shirt :laugh:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Ah, this thread. What if we did this:

1. Share opinions, conclusions, etc. based on experience, reading and research (with refs if you are making broad claims so everyone can see where you are coming from)
    2. Don't belittle people who have a different opinion or experience than you do
    3. Dont make fun of people who base their conclusions on sources you find unreliable -- point them to other sources instead

Then we might actually be able to share ideas and learn from each other.

There have been many sensible posts in this thread but they are ignored in favor of squabbling/teasing.

On second thought, this radical idea could shut down the entire Internet...

I agree 100%.
    Makes me tired of posting my personal opinion or my experience just to have someone tell you you aren't right about your own weight loss and your own body. It's kind of ignorant. Not everyone has the same experience, so I think if someone asks a question and gets 100 answers due to personal experiences then that leaves it open to decide what's best for them rather than all the bashing.

I concur as well...with both of the above posts, as they have both been my personal experience....though fear not, someone (and his minion) will come along & debate the validity of it. Shrug. :ohwell:
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I just don't think refined sugar is good for me
  • BeachIron
    Options
    Ah, this thread. What if we did this:

1. Share opinions, conclusions, etc. based on experience, reading and research (with refs if you are making broad claims so everyone can see where you are coming from)
    2. Don't belittle people who have a different opinion or experience than you do
    3. Dont make fun of people who base their conclusions on sources you find unreliable -- point them to other sources instead

Then we might actually be able to share ideas and learn from each other.

There have been many sensible posts in this thread but they are ignored in favor of squabbling/teasing.

On second thought, this radical idea could shut down the entire Internet...

I agree 100%.
    Makes me tired of posting my personal opinion or my experience just to have someone tell you you aren't right about your own weight loss and your own body. It's kind of ignorant. Not everyone has the same experience, so I think if someone asks a question and gets 100 answers due to personal experiences then that leaves it open to decide what's best for them rather than all the bashing.

I concur as well...with both of the above posts, as they have both been my personal experience....though fear not, someone (and his minion) will come along & debate the validity of it. Shrug. :ohwell:

You know that calling someone "ignorant" or a "minion" could be justifiably considered bashing, right? This is a fitness and nutrition website and people are debating fitness and nutrition. If it is an area that you are curious about, then pay attention. If you have sometime to contribute, then by all means chime in, but to sit on the side lines and to complain about the very existence of a debate? Not so contributive.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Cause their a bunch of bluemen, blutonians? Blu-tards...