Why is everyone so afraid of sugar?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Sugar deactivates antioxidants, which causes you to age faster.. which also causes your immune system to be weaker, which also creates a breeding ground for cancer..

There are TONS of other reasons.. GOOGLE IT

this is a joke right...

I am a ten year cancer survivor and I eat sugar...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Sugar deactivates antioxidants, which causes you to age faster.. which also causes your immune system to be weaker, which also creates a breeding ground for cancer..

There are TONS of other reasons.. GOOGLE IT

googled it. saw studies that suggested the opposite of what you are saying. saw blogs that supported what you are saying. not believing what you are saying.

Maybe you should do more research.. perhaps everyone should do more research before posting their opinions on public forum.. When you're incorrect, it doesn't make you seem too smart.. just saying..

You were the one that made the claim (without dose) about sugar intake leading to weakened immunity and faster aging. You didn't provide anything to back those claims up other than your opinion.

If you're going to make a rather bold claim about sugar you should be prepared to back it up rather than hurling insults when you're challenged on your claims.

I'm sorry for making a comment and not backing it up with facts. I have read multiple studies, so I don't have the links on hand.. One link

http://www.prevention.com/beauty/beauty/how-sugar-ages-your-skin

Another link:
    http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/healthy-eating/why-sugar-bad?page=all
    [/quote

^ epic google fail
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    and for the 100th time...
    From The Way To Cook, written by Julia Child and published in 1989.

"Because of media hype and woefully inadequate information, too many people nowadays are deathly afraid of their food, and what does fear of food do to the digestive system? ... I, for one, would much rather swoon over a few thin slices of prime beefsteak, or one small serving of chocolate mousse, or a sliver of foie gras than indulge to the full on such nonentities as fat-free gelatin puddings."

"The pleasures of the table — that lovely old-fashioned phrase — depict food as an art form, as a delightful part of civilized life. In spite of food fads, fitness programs, and health concerns, we must never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

and....

“Life itself is the proper binge.” ― Julia Child
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Cause their a bunch of bluemen, blutonians? Blu-tards...

Or Blutarski's?

[blutarski_zps66978ab2.jpg
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    "Where our ancestors came from, how they adapted and managed to their environment, and where we live today all combine to have a significant impact on our health." Eat what your grandparents ate, best advice I can give you.
  • brit__2006
    brit__2006 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I believe it is definately a misconception. It's not the sugar that made/makes us fat, it's the amount of which we take it in. If I ask someone for some kind of advice they say well if you cut this and that then you will lose. Umm nope, well maybe for a bit, but in my case before I started figuring this stuff out a little better I tried it all, and didn't get anywhere long term. I no longer cut anything from my diet, if it fits in my calories and my macros and I want it. I'll have it, and may have it the next day too. Maybe that's just me, but it's working and I'm still losing and a healthy rate.

Same with me :) I totally agree.

BTW congrats on the great weight loss :) WTG :)

THANKS!!
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    I don't worry about the sugar in fruit. I don't like the added sugars. I started looking at sugar when I tried the Southbeach diet. I was amazed by the fact that everything seems to have added sugar or corn syrup. Try to find bread that doesn't have sugar in it. I pay $4-$5 per loaf for bread with no added sugar. Try to find salad dressing without sugar in it. Sugar has no nutritional value whatsoever and yet we are bombarded by sugar. I have stopped eating added sugar as much as possible. Now I don't crave it as bad and now fruits are so sweet to me. Once you start reading the labels and looking for added sugars, you will be amazed because you can't get away from it. If you aren't diabetic then you don't have to worry about fruits and complex carbohydrates so much. White table sugar and corn syrup are completely unnecessary, so why are companies putting it in everything? I got some fancy vanilla extract and when i looked at the ingredients, it had corn syrup added to it. WTH? Why? I just realized that bacon is generally cured with sugar. I love dried fruit and yet it usually has added sugar. I couldn't find any at Wal-mart without added sugar. Fruit doesn't need sugar added to it. Check out baby food, they add sugar to it. It is ridiculous.

"I don't worry about the sugar in fruit. I don't like the added sugars."

Right, cause they are so much different
    You have missed my point entirely. I get it, sugar is sugar, there isn't good sugar or bad sugar. I was just answering her question, why is everyone afraid of sugar. Well, you shouldn't be afraid to eat a piece of fruit. It is more than sugar, there is fiber and vitamins. What you should be afraid of is not being able to go to the store and buy something that hasn't had sugar added to it. If you aren't reading the labels, you are getting way more sugar than you realize.
  • brit__2006
    Options
    I believe it is definately a misconception. It's not the sugar that made/makes us fat, it's the amount of which we take it in. If I ask someone for some kind of advice they say well if you cut this and that then you will lose. Umm nope, well maybe for a bit, but in my case before I started figuring this stuff out a little better I tried it all, and didn't get anywhere long term. I no longer cut anything from my diet, if it fits in my calories and my macros and I want it. I'll have it, and may have it the next day too. Maybe that's just me, but it's working and I'm still losing and a healthy rate.

I used to think this too...until for whatever reason, my insides went haywire :ohwell:

If everything is working correctly, then absolutely, the above statement is true.

However, a good deal of the time, folks don't know things have gone awry because it happens slowly, with T2D anyway. Couple that with the fact that due to fluctuations in blood sugar, one can be subclinical and on a speeding train headed towards horrendous complications looong before a diagnosis is reached...sometimes years....and by the time that happens, the criteria is so high, once one reaches that threshold, there's little one can do except back pedal as best as one can, provided the correct information is give (which is another problem altogether).:huh:

I think the misconception comes in where people think it's caused by eating too much, eating too much sugar or not taking care of oneself. Here's where the shame comes in....also, that it has a strong genetic component & it's what goes wrong inside you, coupled with whatever your diet or lifestyle is that can make it worse or complicate things.

Before I was diagnosed, I didn't realize starches equate to sugars & I recall telling the doctor that I only consume 26 g of sugar from fruits daily because I had been logging (and weighing my foods) with MFP for a couple of months prior.

He did all but roll his eyes. :huh:

I agree that if you have different health issues then of course sugar or anything that turns to sugar could cause issues. The doctors always told me since I was overweight with pcos that I was insulin resistant, until it was actually tested. Not much of a fluctuation at all and they were surprised. I just had my doctor tell me he was happy with my weight, (still clinicly 30 ish pounds overweight) because of how healthy I am. Idk everyone's body is just so different, even in studies that prove certain criteria. Ya know? I'm not a doctor, it's all opinion I guess.
  • brit__2006
    Options
    Ah, this thread. What if we did this:

1. Share opinions, conclusions, etc. based on experience, reading and research (with refs if you are making broad claims so everyone can see where you are coming from)
    2. Don't belittle people who have a different opinion or experience than you do
    3. Dont make fun of people who base their conclusions on sources you find unreliable -- point them to other sources instead

Then we might actually be able to share ideas and learn from each other.

There have been many sensible posts in this thread but they are ignored in favor of squabbling/teasing.

On second thought, this radical idea could shut down the entire Internet...

I agree 100%.
    Makes me tired of posting my personal opinion or my experience just to have someone tell you you aren't right about your own weight loss and your own body. It's kind of ignorant. Not everyone has the same experience, so I think if someone asks a question and gets 100 answers due to personal experiences then that leaves it open to decide what's best for them rather than all the bashing.

I concur as well...with both of the above posts, as they have both been my personal experience....though fear not, someone (and his minion) will come along & debate the validity of it. Shrug. :ohwell:

You know that calling someone "ignorant" or a "minion" could be justifiably considered bashing, right? This is a fitness and nutrition website and people are debating fitness and nutrition. If it is an area that you are curious about, then pay attention. If you have sometime to contribute, then by all means chime in, but to sit on the side lines and to complain about the very existence of a debate? Not so contributive.

Never called anyone ignorant as a matter of fact. My words were "It's kind of ignorant" stating that the IDEA of being able to tell me about me was IGNORANT. Just because you have a dumb idea, doesn't make you dumb....
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Ah, this thread. What if we did this:

1. Share opinions, conclusions, etc. based on experience, reading and research (with refs if you are making broad claims so everyone can see where you are coming from)
    2. Don't belittle people who have a different opinion or experience than you do
    3. Dont make fun of people who base their conclusions on sources you find unreliable -- point them to other sources instead

Then we might actually be able to share ideas and learn from each other.

There have been many sensible posts in this thread but they are ignored in favor of squabbling/teasing.

On second thought, this radical idea could shut down the entire Internet...

I agree 100%.
    Makes me tired of posting my personal opinion or my experience just to have someone tell you you aren't right about your own weight loss and your own body. It's kind of ignorant. Not everyone has the same experience, so I think if someone asks a question and gets 100 answers due to personal experiences then that leaves it open to decide what's best for them rather than all the bashing.

I concur as well...with both of the above posts, as they have both been my personal experience....though fear not, someone (and his minion) will come along & debate the validity of it. Shrug. :ohwell:

You know that calling someone "ignorant" or a "minion" could be justifiably considered bashing, right? This is a fitness and nutrition website and people are debating fitness and nutrition. If it is an area that you are curious about, then pay attention. If you have sometime to contribute, then by all means chime in, but to sit on the side lines and to complain about the very existence of a debate? Not so contributive.

Never called anyone ignorant as a matter of fact. My words were "It's kind of ignorant" stating that the IDEA of being able to tell me about me was IGNORANT. Just because you have a dumb idea, doesn't make you dumb....

lulz
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

I used to think this too...until for whatever reason, my insides went haywire :ohwell:

If everything is working correctly, then absolutely, the above statement is true.

However, a good deal of the time, folks don't know things have gone awry because it happens slowly, with T2D anyway. Couple that with the fact that due to fluctuations in blood sugar, one can be subclinical and on a speeding train headed towards horrendous complications looong before a diagnosis is reached...sometimes years....and by the time that happens, the criteria is so high, once one reaches that threshold, there's little one can do except back pedal as best as one can, provided the correct information is give (which is another problem altogether).:huh:

I think the misconception comes in where people think it's caused by eating too much, eating too much sugar or not taking care of oneself. Here's where the shame comes in....also, that it has a strong genetic component & it's what goes wrong inside you, coupled with whatever your diet or lifestyle is that can make it worse or complicate things.

Before I was diagnosed, I didn't realize starches equate to sugars & I recall telling the doctor that I only consume 26 g of sugar from fruits daily because I had been logging (and weighing my foods) with MFP for a couple of months prior.

He did all but roll his eyes. :huh:

I agree that if you have different health issues then of course sugar or anything that turns to sugar could cause issues. The doctors always told me since I was overweight with pcos that I was insulin resistant, until it was actually tested. Not much of a fluctuation at all and they were surprised. I just had my doctor tell me he was happy with my weight, (still clinicly 30 ish pounds overweight) because of how healthy I am. Idk everyone's body is just so different, even in studies that prove certain criteria. Ya know? I'm not a doctor, it's all opinion I guess.

:wink: lucky you!!! (I mean that, not being sarcastic here) PCOS & Insulin Resistance usually go hand in hand. It's different for everyone especially since the actual cause of blood glucose disregulation can be many different things. LADA, D1.5, MODY, 1,2 or 3 etc. :ohwell:

It totally depends upon what is broken in the system as to what people can tolerate, then of course there's the variable of each individual person :indifferent:

Good luck with your PCOS, I hear it can be a bear :drinker:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Oh to be young again...remember when I could get away with a crap diet and still make gains...Let me know how that works for you when your say about 50:wink:
    49 here. A few months from 50. What do you think so far?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Looking good ninerbuff...guess there is still hope for this old body...albeit, i haven't been working out for 30 years but I'm a work in progress and find I need to be spot on with my nutrition to see the results I want to see. Let's just say it's not as easy as it was when I was 25 and could eat what and when I wanted.
    If it's any consolation, I attained my current body about 25 years ago. I've just kept it up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options

Try that with finetti every day and you will never loose weight again. The human body does not burn fat between 48-72 hours after eating something in high sugars.

Links? Sources? Proof?

Who needs proof when you have wild claims based on bull****?

Honestly, I always hope they have some kind of blog/article/livestrong.com write up to back them up so I can read it and laugh. Does that make me a bad person?

Some people like comedy movies, people like you factless articles.
    Not bad.

I like the way you put this. I always think of it as laughing at other people's gullibility and guilt follows. But you make it sound more like it's just my way of amusing myself, which isn't something to feel guilty about.

And, that said, still waiting for sources on how having high sugar days will stop me from losing weight for 3 days. Cause I may havea graph based on my diary data that shows my stupidly high sugar levels seem to have a slight positive correlation with my weight loss. Don't leave me hanging Flo.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/balance-your-blood-sugar-lose-weight

bahahahahahhahaha..dr oz as a source...oh damn I am tearing up over here I am laughing so hard....oh damn..breath....
    Glad I could make you laugh:) it was a joke.
  • Fairlieboy
    Fairlieboy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Good sugar / bad sugar. There is a fundamental biochemical difference. Glucose (a monosaccharide) is what pretty much is fundamental to life. Drives the the mitochondrial process. But it is toxic in concentration. Humans with too much (diabetic) will die. When we eat, we break down the food (carbs which are in all plants) into glucose. The liver and our endocrine system operate a complex process with insulin as the major hormone to give us a balanced glucose blood level. Not too much & not too little. Delicate balance.

Fructose (another monosaccharide) on the other hand has a different biochemical process in the liver and does not have that elequant feedback process. Small amounts (eg in a piece of fruit) is fine. The 38% in tomato sauce or the 40 teaspoons the average western has per day is not.
    Knowing that animals fed a diet containing 15% added sugar developed cardiovascular diseases, cancer, chronic kidney disease, diabetes, liver disease & dementia is enough early warning signs to eliminate fructose (either sucrose or fructose from corn syrup) from my diet.
    From a health perspective. Eliminate. From a weight loss goal. Probably.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Good sugar / bad sugar. There is a fundamental biochemical difference. Glucose (a monosaccharide) is what pretty much is fundamental to life. Drives the the mitochondrial process. But it is toxic in concentration. Humans with too much (diabetic) will die. When we eat, we break down the food (carbs which are in all plants) into glucose. The liver and our endocrine system operate a complex process with insulin as the major hormone to give us a balanced glucose blood level. Not too much & not too little. Delicate balance.

Fructose (another monosaccharide) on the other hand has a different biochemical process in the liver and does not have that elequant feedback process. Small amounts (eg in a piece of fruit) is fine. The 38% in tomato sauce or the 40 teaspoons the average western has per day is not.
    Knowing that animals fed a diet containing 15% added sugar developed cardiovascular diseases, cancer, chronic kidney disease, diabetes, liver disease & dementia is enough early warning signs to eliminate fructose (either sucrose or fructose from corn syrup) from my diet.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2012/05/how-bad-is-fructose-david-despain.html

http://evolvinghealthscience.blogspot.com/2013/01/what-journalists-should-know-before.html
  • Fairlieboy
    Fairlieboy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2012/05/how-bad-is-fructose-david-despain.html
    http://evolvinghealthscience.blogspot.com/2013/01/what-journalists-should-know-before.html
    [/quote]
    Thanks for those references.
    A difficulty with biological science is that you can do one experiment (with randomised experiments) and someone else does another, and the two show different outcomes. Biology is not physics. So while these 2 journalists say the case is overstated, their information is based on a small number of studies, or reading Lustigs book, etc, and their claim that the case is overstated is only their opinion. There are many others who say that the evidence being published now (based on the past 2 to 5 years of work) is only scratching the surface. So they might be right, or might be wrong. My reading of the science articles behind the popular press says they are wrongly down playing the issue.
    For example. http://jasn.asnjournals.org/content/21/2/261.full is pretty clear that fructose seriously affects kidney function in rats. (Kidneys are the same biological process as in humans). 1 in 7 hospital admissions in Australia is as an outcome from Chronic Kidney disease. 13-15% of Americans / Aussies have CKD. (Up from a few thousand cases 20 years ago). That's a huge concern,
    This pilot research says that lowering fructose had benefit and therefore needs more research.
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/759622
    So avoid the popular blog writers, and go back to the science.
  • ovhenderson
    ovhenderson Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to get or keep nice abs then sugar is something that you really have to watch. Most people have nice abs as their goal, so that may be why people talk so much about watching sugar intake. Actually, both sugar and sodium are ab killers, so they'll really watch those two things hard to keep nice abs.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to get or keep nice abs then sugar is something that you really have to watch. Most people have nice abs as their goal, so that may be why people talk so much about watching sugar intake. Actually, both sugar and sodium are ab killers, so they'll really watch those two things hard to keep nice abs.
    Insulin is what causes a bloat. Insulin is anabolic. 1 step back, 3 steps forward.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Biology is not physics.

:heart:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I don't watch either.