Strength Training Challenge

Options

Replies

• ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I got in my 3rd for the week. I did the first workout of NROLFW. I just found it on the computer so I will get the book this weekend hopefully so I will have the schedule of workouts. I really liked it, full body and lots of variety. One more for the week to meet my goal. That will be the first time in more than 5 months that I gotten in 4 in a week:) I hope you all are enjoying yours too!!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Today was workout #7 for August. My ankle weights are the kind that can vary the weight. I have a pair that go up to 5 pounds and a pair that go up to 10 pounds. Each ankle weight has six slots for adding an additional weight so the weight doesn't increase by single pounds....I've increased the weight gradually since I started in January 2012.....I haven't been consistent so after not doing weights for a few months I decreased the weight and have increased gradually by adding another weight bag each week..

:flowerforyou: today I tried doing a plank moving my feet alternately out and in and holding it for a shorter time.....I also did two planks with ankle weights...I held each of them longer this session than the last time even with slightly heavier weights.

:flowerforyou: ummommyme, four workouts in a week---wow, I have been able to do three a week with one or two rest days in between
    I read NROLFW and learned a lot but the workouts were too challenging for me to do at home.

:flowerforyou: jodios, what a challenge to deal with injuries and still keep up with your training.

:flowerforyou: Terri, that's a great improvement on your plank.....slow and steady wins the race.

:flowerforyou: Deb, moving your classroom sounds like a fair replacement for a day of strength training.

:flowerforyou: Katla, have you found any answers to your pain at the gym?

:bigsmile: Barbie from NW Washington

1433479le3q4a7az6.gif2157045gp85zev8ri.gif
    [/quote]
  • ummommyme
    Options
    Just did Cathe F all out low impact hiit:) My 4th workout for the week. I had to take several pauses and didn't complete all the reps but glad I did it! I didn't get the book this weekend hopefully in the next week. I know for the most part, I think, what the workouts are for this week so I will get 3 of those in. We are camping this weekend so i'm not sure if I will get in a fourth, but I will definitely get some walking in at camping so I will just count that.
    Barbie, Great job on the planks. I haven't been doing any but the NROLFW has some in it so I will start eventually. I'm worried the workouts will get too much too. But I have a lot of equipment at home, really i'm only missing a squat rack. I don't think I can do back squats so i'm going to have to modify those. My back has issues with going numb in spots and when I tried those last week with a barbell on my back it acted up.
    Jodios-I love making my workout goal for the week, Good job to you!!

Great job ladies!!!
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Today I did Kelly Coffey 30 minutes to fitness and did one of the premixes that is actually 40 minutes long because it adds in cardio bursts between strength training sets. It good old straight forward lifting but she has some nice twists I like (e.g. for her 1 legged squats you squat on the right and then extend the left leg forward lightly tapping your heel down and then swing your left leg to the side lightly tapping the toe down, bring the left back in as you straighten the right - switching sides for one rep). I'm still babying my inflamed tendons but I managed okay and still felt like I got a solid workout in - upper, lower and a bit of core (though probably not enough core :laugh: ).

Tomorrow I'm doing cardio.

happy lifting, Jodios:love::flowerforyou: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Gym this am: TM w/6% incline, stationary bike, and ladies exercise, most done w/3lb handweights Will do yoga this evening and maybe my plank and modified pushups and chair dips. Trying to get back in the groove but my stomach is still very much not right.
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Back from 10 day business trip, which was very challenging. Did Yoga meltdown 'dolphin' section 3 x, and threw in chair dips as well. Still favor cardio, but hope to add more to my strength routine working out with trainer.

Jodi: Hope the injuries heal quickly.
    Barbie: Your discipline is amaaaazing.

Stay well. Stay strong.
  • ummommyme
    Options
    I got in my workout Monday and a yoga video after. So that was my something different this week. My upper body is tight and hard to stretch so adding that in once a week will help i'm sure. So my goal is to get in 3 strength this week and one cardio. I got in a little last night and will get in more at camping.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :bigsmile: Today was workout #8 for August. I like doing the same workout day after day for a long time and increasing my weights and improving my form......I have a huge tolerance and affection for repetition......my meals seem to be the same thing over and over.

:flowerforyou: Poerava, it is easy for me to stay with a routine because I'm not pulled by job, children, and other concerns that most women have....thank you your kind words.

[/quote]
    [/quote]
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Consider compound moves so you work multiple body parts in one exercise (e.g. reverse lunges with bicep curls).

That's not really a Compound movement per say. That's more of an exercise that some douche'-back trainer made up to make their clients think they're working harder or something. Compound movements are, Bench Press (Flat, Incline, Decline), Barbell Row from the floor, Shoulder Press, Squat (Back, Front, Safety Bar), and Deadlift (conventional / sumo). If you're going to train your legs then train your legs. Doing a lunge with an arm curl is limiting the amount of weight you can use for doing lunges. Conversely, doing arm curls while you're doing a lunge takes away your focus from being able to concentrate on getting a good contraction of your bicep on the concentric portion and controlling the weight on the eccentric.
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Had a small accident in the garden when my garden cart rolled out from under me and I bruised my sciatic nerve or big butt muscle. Had to use a walker a few days because I couldn't put weight on right leg. Slowly getting where I can walk but it's been very painful.
    Sorry I've not been able to do any type of exercise. Today I decided to try to walk outside, got my tennis shoes on and went outside and it started raining! It hasn't rained in weeks here and we need it so bad. Think I'll try a little Leslie Sansone (even forgot her name!)
    Sue in TX
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Tai chi and yoga tonight.
  • terrimag
    terrimag Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Today, Wednesday, I did upper body and ab’s…I added modified push-ups and my plank time was 1 min. 2 seconds (up from 22.5 seconds when I started on 8/7/13). On Tuesday I did cardio and Monday was lower body. Tonight I plan to try a new 30 min. Yoga for beginners. :smile:

Following is a link to an article that I thought was interesting about strength training: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/james-clear/exercise-tips_b_3805307.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

Keep up the good work! :flowerforyou:
    Terri
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,107 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to report that I've stuck to my plan and have rotated cardio/upper body with cardio/lower body and one day off. I must also report that I struggled quite a bit when I got the most horrible attack of seasonal allergies the last few days. Fatigue, stuffy head and ears, sneezing, swollen glands in my neck all combined to suck a bit of joy out of life and left me feeling weak. And no, I will *not* take any medication----this too shall pass.

Tonight I kicked myself and stepped up. I've now moved up on my weights for all the upper body exercises. At least for today. And that's really all I can ask of myself. I'll face tomorrow in the morning. :bigsmile:

Best wishes to all. :heart:

Lin in Central Iowa
  • ummommyme
    Options
    Sue, you should take it easy until you are healed, ouch;(
    Lin, the allergies are rough right now. I'm sure it felt good to kick everything up a notch, well done!
    Terri, yoga feels great. I bet you will enjoy it:)
    I got in my strength workout this morning and a quick 10 min hit workout this evening for some cardio. My husband agrees if my goal is weight loss I should kick up the cardio. And I have 50lbs to lose so I will try to get more in each week. So maybe only 2 strength workouts and 2-3 cardio for each week. Even if it's just 10 minutes it's better than nothing:)
  • barbiecat
    Options

Following is a link to an article that I thought was interesting about strength training: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/james-clear/exercise-tips_b_3805307.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Terri, I just read the article.......it was great.....I knew a lot of it so reading it reassured me that I was on the right track, and there was some new information to help me do better.

:bigsmile: Barbie

• barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Sue, sorry to hear about your injury…….I know how frustrating it is to not be able to exercise….I hope your recovery is swift

:flowerforyou: Yanniejannie, yoga and tai chi sound so peaceful

:flowerforyou: Terri, wow, that’s a great accomplishment with your plank

:flowerforyou: Lin, those are awesome accomplishments for someone fighting with seasonal allergies.

:flowerforyou: Ummommyme, that sounds like a good balance of cardio and strength

:bigsmile: Today was workout #9 for August which is great since I started this on August 10….today I did the same workout but slowed my squats, pushups, and calf raises to make them more challenging

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

[/quote]
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Today I did my 2nd strength training session of the week…a Bob Harper DVD that was kick butt!!!! :laugh: I had to drop the weight down for bicep curls given that tendon is still sore, but my Achilles seemed better.

Rori – how is it going with the trainer? :smile:
    Sue – please rest up until you heal…hope you are feeling better soon:flowerforyou:
    Terri – thanks for the article – it made a lot of sense to me:bigsmile:
    Lin – great job – hope your allergies ease off:sick:
    Unmommyme – sounds like a good plan. I typically do 3 cardio sessions, 2-3 strength and 1 yoga per week. It really helped me take off the weight and tone up:drinker:
    Barbie – great job!!!! You are as always an inspiration:heart:
    MrBigglswort- welcome!:drinker:

Everyone have a great holiday weekend!

Jodios :wink: :love: :flowerforyou: :smooched: :heart: :bigsmile:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing well with the fitness challenge. I feel like I've gone a bit astray. My plan was t go to the gym, but when I do I wind up with a sore back. Advice welcome!
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou:Katla, You asked for advice……try being really mindful of each exercise you do so you can figure out what it is that is hurting your back, then you can stop doing it.

:bigsmile: Jodios, I’m glad you were able to do a workout in spite of an injury.

:flowerforyou: MrBigglswort, I look forward to reports of your workouts

:bigsmile: Today I walked the dogs for our usual 30 minutes before breakfast and 2 hours after breakfast and I worked in the yard digging and moving rocks for almost two hours so I thought maybe I was too tired to do strength training, then I remembered what it said in the article that Terri recommended about scheduling workouts and decided that since I’d scheduled it for today, I would do it today and if I was really too tired, I could modify it slightly. Today was the day I planned to add another weight bag to my ankle weights so everything felt harder than usual
    that’s because it was----but I completed the routine and added two sets of crunches.

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

[/quote]