I am not eating enough!

Options
Hi everyone. I have a bit of an issue. I set my caloric intake to 1400 calories a day. I run or do some form of cardio every day which gives me an extra 300-500 calories to consume. The problem is, I have a hard time taking in my 1400 calories. For example, the run I had today added on an extra 357 (I'll say 360) calories. I had a large breakfast and a large dinner (I don't each lunch when I work) and I still have 879 calories left for the day. My net calories are 521 - which is WAYYYYYY too low. Do you guys have any tips? Thanks

Replies

• spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    It would be helpful to see your diary so that we can give you better advice. But I will say: avocado, nuts, nut butter, higher fat dairy are all good ways to bump up your calories without having to take in a whole lot more food. Many of those things should be easy to take to work with you (pb sandwich or on crackers, baggie of almonds, some milk in the car, avocado on salads or sandwiches, etc).
  • ViolaPlayer1987
    Options
    It would be helpful to see your diary so that we can give you better advice. But I will say: avocado, nuts, nut butter, higher fat dairy are all good ways to bump up your calories without having to take in a whole lot more food. Many of those things should be easy to take to work with you (pb sandwich or on crackers, baggie of almonds, some milk in the car, avocado on salads or sandwiches, etc).

Okay! I just made my diary public!!!
    Thanks for the suggestions!
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Okay! We have something to work with here!

You've got a pretty healthy menu, so really it's about going less for all of the nonfat stuff. Do the 2% greek yogurt, you can eat more hummus, cook with some olive oil, enjoy peanut butter (and really, what is there not to enjoy!), throw some almonds into your morning yogurt or carry some around with you. You have lots of wiggle room. Whether the issue is that you're already feeling full or don't have the time to eat more often, you can bulk up these meals with ingredients that have more calories but less volume. Chia seeds are also great in cereal or yogurt. Banana with peanut butter is always tasty. That sort of thing.

Hope this helps!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Eat full fat foods. No need for fat free.

Have a look at my diary if you'd like... I ate almost 730 calories before 9am :laugh:
  • ViolaPlayer1987
    Options
    Thank you so much for the suggestions. You're a big help!
  • ViolaPlayer1987
    Options
    Okay!! I guess I really need to start eating some fat! :P
    Eat full fat foods. No need for fat free.

Have a look at my diary if you'd like... I ate almost 730 calories before 9am :laugh:
  • trillxbella
    Options
    I am having the same issue! I ate a huge a** bowl of grilled chicken (2 breasts) and 2 cups of broccoli and I'm so full. I also ate some Doritos so my whole day is 500 calories. I feel completely satisfied but I know that isn't enough calories. I can't force myself to eat so what should I do?
  • ViolaPlayer1987
    Options
    Yes! That's exactly how I feel! I guess we should snack in between meals?
    I am having the same issue! I ate a huge a** bowl of grilled chicken (2 breasts) and 2 cups of broccoli and I'm so full. I also ate some Doritos so my whole day is 500 calories. I feel completely satisfied but I know that isn't enough calories. I can't force myself to eat so what should I do?
  • fultimers
    fultimers Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Drinking 30 cups of water in a day might make it more difficult to get enough food in.
  • trillxbella
    Options
    did some editing, it's 610 for the whole day. completed my diary and it said my body could go into starvation mode. I have a hard time finding high calorie food that isn't junk. plus I have limited resources (money, transport to store).
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    have a beer
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Drinking 30 cups of water in a day might make it more difficult to get enough food in.

This ^ Stop drinking 30 cups of water. Do you realise too much water is not good for you? Is there a reason you did that?
  • trillxbella
    Options

absolutely. I drink a LOT of water, which in my opinion, is the key to the success I've had so far (plus I stopped eating ramen noodles) until it my my stomach swishy and I'm just not hungry.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

absolutely. I drink a LOT of water, which in my opinion, is the key to the success I've had so far (plus I stopped eating ramen noodles) until it my my stomach swishy and I'm just not hungry.

Well there you go. That is why you can't eat enough too. 8 glasses is fine. No need for 30!
  • JKlappBunz
    Options
    Yh snacking helps. This past week I decided to factor in my steps taken seeing as i work on my feet all day. This left me in a similar situation. So I decided to eat something (Nat PB n Rice Cakes/Cottage cheese or both) depending on how far below I am. Much to my surprise, adding the extra 'meal' afforded me my biggest loss since the initial shock to my body when I started. I won't say to force yourself to eat, but try to get a decent snack or late night protein in.
  • AdrieneJ
    AdrieneJ Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My instinct (based on not living in your body and only knowing how mine works) is that perhaps you need to increase the intensity of your exercise to kick your appetite into gear... but then, I like vigorous exercise. I have rarely had trouble with getting to my target caloric intake. Everyone is different, but it's worth thinking about.
  • crystalcoyote59
    Options
    hahaha I say have some wine!
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

You need to eat more. Drinking lots of water is great, but not if it's preventing you from getting the calories you need to be healthy. A lot of us are impatient to get to our goal weights, but quick weight loss by any means is not a good choice. Not only are calories important for fueling your body, but food also contains vital macro and micronutrients that your body needs to support basic functions on a daily basis. You are unlikely to get everything you need from 600 calories a day. The key to healthy, sustainable weight loss is to choose a plan you can stick to for life.

Take the advice given to the OP and eat some more calorie dense foods. You may also want to consider cutting your water intake in half (15 cups is plenty) and allowing your body to feel hunger.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options

This ^ Stop drinking 30 cups of water. Do you realise too much water is not good for you? Is there a reason you did that?

Actually, while the age-old recommendation is 8 cups of water daily, that should really be viewed as a minimum. Many online calculators suggest much more. Based on my weight (which, granted, is pretty high), the calculator I just used suggests 26+ 8-ounce cups daily and that does not account for exercise, excess heat, dry climate, pregnancy, breastfeeding, high altitude, etc. For the record I never get that much in unless I'm working physically in the heat (when I definitely do!), but I don't feel like more would be bad. I think I'm at 10 or 11 today. I am not diabetic and do not take any medicines that would cause unusual thirst.

Others say 2.7 liters for women, 3.7 for men, again not accounting for any other factors, but just as a base amount. In any case, some of this would also come from food.

In a healthy adult, the kidneys can filter and excrete 15 liters of water a day. which is over 63 cups per day. If an individual had a very low sodium diet, renal problems, etc, of course adjustments would need to be made. But just because we've all heard "8 cups" doesn't mean it's correct. Thirty cups is a lot, but it isn't ridiculous, by any means, and the chances of ill effects such as water intoxication are unlikely unless she's trying to drink it all at once.

All of this having been said, however, there must be room for fuel as well. You can eat healthy choices and still include more calorie-dense foods, and in order to have continued success, you'll need to, in my opinion. But then, you know that. : )

I think there were some great suggestions earlier in the thread to help get you going in the right direction with that. Good for you for being open to making adjustments for continued success. :)
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Some excellent advice here! And holy cow, 30 glasses of water >_<

Do you get to sleep through the night without having to wake up for a bio (or two)? That can actually disrupt your sleep patterns and sometimes it's hard to go back to sleep, especially if you had the light on.