Obese, morbidly obese, super obese and bike riding.

Options
124»

Replies

• PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I have heard some say leather seats are the best, but my god, they look like instruments of torture lol

You're talking about Brooks saddles. I have six bikes, and five of them have Brooks saddles. They look uncomfortable and for some people they take a bit of breaking in (I haven't had that issue, personally), but once you're past that, it's like heaven. I don't even bother with cycling shorts. I rode 32 miles tonight on my Brooks saddle.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    So, for the bigger guys out there, what bikes do you own and what weight where you when you started riding as part of your lifestyle/weight loss/get fit and healthy regime?

I am a gnats todger below 400lb, and can't wait until I can start riding, but would like some ideas as to when that will be weight wise.

So, what weight were you when you got on your bike?

Links to models of bikes owned and stuff all gratefully received.

Thanks
    'sup man.

I'm a fat bastahd, started riding at the svelte 265, down around 233 right now (well, until tomorrow morning...)

I've been riding to get my legs into shape, and for a triathlon. Was riding fa before that, but the tri really pushed it into gear. So I ride a road bike, a novara from REI because it was a great price, and one of the best feeling bikes I've ever ridden. It also helps that I paid 500 out of pocket for it, because I had my REI member's refund.

http://www.rei.com/product/825905/novara-strada-bike-2013

Novara Strada, good bike. I used to have a nice trek, but it never felt right, was terrible for me and I think it was a matter of fit. I still think I have some minor fit issues, but this is so damned comfortable to ride. Just a bit heavy on the hills. My Trek was a 1 series, and it never did feel right. always felt like I was going to fall off it if I really pushed those pedals.

I wouldn't wait to ride, I'd just get out there and do it. I'd strongly suggest though, getting some riding shorts or underwear. The extra padding is super helpful.

Cheers.
  • MORECHABLIS
    MORECHABLIS Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I bought a 'Touring Cycle' a few years back, as touring bikes are built to be stronger than Road Cycles, frames slightly heavier and tryes slightly wider (you can go on some rougher trails easier that thinner road bike tryes).

I've used it for hundreds and hundreds of miles... touring for a week or two at a time and daily...

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kona/sutra-2013-touring-bike-56cm-soiled--ec052902?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle&utm_content=mkwid__pcrid_19994854496_kword__match__plid_
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's all about the seat man, it's all about the seat. If your *kitten* hurts you aren't going to want to ride.

I dread riding for that reason!

Two words.......cycling shorts
  • MORECHABLIS
    Options
    It's all about the seat man, it's all about the seat. If your *kitten* hurts you aren't going to want to ride.

Yes, important to have a good large soft comfortable seat and padded shorts...
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options

No on the good large seat, yes on the padded shorts.

Yes you want a comfortable saddle, but those huge *kitten* seats are a waste, terrible on your body, and your sit bone will never build the muscle it needs.
  • cameronwheeler
    Options
    Your going to have to spend money in order to get a good bike. At 300 lbs, I bought a cheap bike for $100 at walmart and it was the most uncomfortable thing ever. I traded it in for a $250 bike and it was the best thing i ever did. i'm not 235 and enjoying my bike daily.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    My sister-in-law is a larger woman. I am sure she is over 300lbs. She went to a bike shop with knowledgeable sales staff and bought a bike that is made for heavier riders. She now rides quite a bit and puts in some 15-20 mile bike rides. She rides slower than most people out on the trail, but she is building up her endurance. I am proud of her.
  • swinyers
    swinyers Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    have you considered a recumbant bike? I ride bike alot and it takes quite a while to build up to riding the seat and feeling comfortable. Bike shops can fit you to a seat according to your bone structure too. But the really most important thing is to just start out small and build up. You can do it:)
  • MORECHABLIS
    Options

No on the good large seat, yes on the padded shorts.

Yes you want a comfortable saddle, but those huge *kitten* seats are a waste, terrible on your body, and your sit bone will never build the muscle it needs.

For long distance cycling, and when you start off, you don't want an instrument of torture under your backside like many narrow seats... I'd only use a narrow seat if I was racing... I've had a 'Bodyfit Spring Flex' (see link below), has done me very well...

http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do?method=view&n=3446&p=34231&c=215&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Saddles&gclid=COLOuISdm7kCFcbLtAodzQQAeg
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Google Ernest Gagnon
  • BridgetMoans
    Options
    last time I rode a bike I was considerably lighter than I am now - remember it hurt like hell ( in the saddle region ) and I only got as far as a couple of gates past my own!

I put it away for a while hoping that once I had shed some weight I would give it a try again - hmmmmm

went to the garage to retrieve said bike on a really nice day when I was feeling somewhat confident to grace my bod to the world
    ( in the most ridiculous of fashions I may add, because Im not very good at bike riding, but hell, how hard can it be?? )
    to find my bike was now literally a shell of its former self. The chassis was placed upside down on the garage floor baring no wheels, no seat, no handle bars - and NO SEAT! there was not even any chain on the thing.

There was only one conclusion from this - my son! he was in the habit of stripping down bikes, loaning wheels to friends, etc etc. Ultimately my bike paid the price for sitting there so long redundant; the frame was discarded because it was a ladies frame.

and there endeth my romance with bike riding.

I am hoping once my weight level has reduced and i feel confident enough, i may buy another bike, so the info in this thread is proving very informative.

thanks guys!
  • cmorga02
    cmorga02 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was 360ish when I started riding. Depending on what type of riding you're planning on doing i.e. mountain, terrain, or just cruising, I would look into peddal forward bikes. They are typically made for bigger people and the peddals are forward of the seat so it's easier on the knees (my problem).

I own a Giant Suede. Its got a sturdy frame, thick rimmed tires, peddals are forward. There is also Trek Pure, Townie Electra. Trek, Townie and Giant make the best peddal forward bikes IMO. I'm still big, but I love riding, and usually do 10+ miles when I go out thanks to those bikes making it easier on my knees to do so.

Also look into a more comfortable seat. Those brands have quality seats, but still. Cloud 9 makes a nice bike seat.
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I was over 400 lbs when I brought my GT XCR4000 out of it's 13 year slumber, into a new life of torment. It's a full suspension bike so I had to crank the 800 lb rear spring, that served me well when I was 200 lbs, down to the point that it's almost locked out. I really expected the rear triangle to break, or something, but in reality all I've had to do was tighten some spokes here and there.
  • 2BVeggie
    2BVeggie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You guys who want the arm chair and pedals--that's exactly what I do!

I have horrible balance (vestibular) issues, even walking. So, I bought rehab pedals you can use with feet or arms--then started pedaling while seated at edge of chair.

Went from minute and a half to 2 hours at a time.

Issues have been squeaking from the pedal heat of pedaling so long. I loosen it up and begin again. Cost is about $35USD.

When I went to rehab, they were amazed I could do the recumbent bike at hospital for over an hour. Well, I had practice at home with pedals!

You can start with pedaling during commercials or while talking on phone. Then while watching tv shows. You'll be surprised how time flies.

I'll never fall from my chair while pedaling! Armchair pedals--you can do it. Best time to begin is now!