The Truth About Olive Oil

Options
So I've heard rumors that you shouldn't cook with Olive Oil...? :noway: Is this true? If so, what could I use instead? Coconut oil?

Replies

• charleyreedto175
    charleyreedto175 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Ok I'll bite why not Olive Oil. I have used it forever. It is tasty, it goes with salad, it burns clean and in the long run it is one of the tried and true oils. I am not a big fan of all the other new oils out there. I will stick with the big three: Olive Oil, Peanut oil, and Sunflower oil.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I've heard this too....I wasn't paying close enough attention to be able to explain it properly but it was something to the effect of olive oil having a low smoke point & it breaks down when it gets too hot, something about it's constituents following the breakdown & known carcinogens.

I use coconut oil or ghee for frying anyhow & EVOO for salads & dressings.
  • AztecKermit
    AztecKermit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard anything yet. I always cook with sunflower oil and use olive oil for salad dressings etc.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've heard this too....I wasn't paying close enough attention to be able to explain it properly but it was something to the effect of olive oil having a low smoke point & it breaks down when it gets too hot, something about it's constituents following the breakdown & known carcinogens.

Actually, this is true of most vegetable oils (breaking down at smoke point), which is why it's best to use those with a high smoke point when cooking at high temps. Coconut oil and peanut oil both have a high smoke point.

But olive oil does not break down when it smokes like other oils.
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    it's more related to really high temp cooking (e.g. stir fry).
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Low smoke point.

Not a big deal, unless you're deep-frying with it or something.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Basically that is true. Olive oil is great for salads and dipping and some cooking. But at a high heat it goes to GMO, much like canola oil. You can use it in smoothies and shakes and things like that. Spray it on popcorn. It's a good oil. But only up to 375 degrees. I generally cook with coconut oil.
  • Lunarbeanie
    Lunarbeanie Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It burns and changes http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=dailytip&dbid=261

Cook with Canola or Grapeseed, and use olive oil to drizzle or salads.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

Actually, this is true of most vegetable oils (breaking down at smoke point), which is why it's best to use those with a high smoke point when cooking at high temps. Coconut oil and peanut oil both have a high smoke point.

But olive oil does not break down when it smokes like other oils.

ahh...this is where I got it then. I thought when oils smoke, they've broken down & should not be used. I cook with very high temps

edited for typos
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    It's not a "OMG this is unhealthy" reason, it's all about smoke points. Olive Oils are better reserved for salads since higher heats can break down the taste and make it funky (and smoke).

Olive oil (assuming it's not "cut" with other oils) is a good source of fat and is good for you. You can do a Google search to see what oils would fare better at whatever temperature you are cooking your food.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Why not? Of course you can. But for very high heat, coconut or peanut, or grapeseed would be better. I personally only have coconut and olive on hand.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Basically that is true. Olive oil is great for salads and dipping and some cooking. But at a high heat it goes to GMO, much like canola oil. You can use it in smoothies and shakes and things like that. Spray it on popcorn. It's a good oil. But only up to 375 degrees. I generally cook with coconut oil.

What?! :huh: I'm not sure you know what GMO means. High heat does not make anything go to "GMO".
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Before giving into rumors, educate yourself on the facts.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-and-nutrition/AN01037
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    So I've heard rumors that you shouldn't cook with Olive Oil...? :noway: Is this true? If so, what could I use instead? Coconut oil?

I never cook with olive oil. I used to go out with this French guy who told me that in France olive oil is a 'table oil' meaning they use it to dress salads/food, not to cook with. I've certainly seen this a lot in Spain too. Apparently it burns at high temps causing toxins or something to be released. I cook with rapeseed oil or vegetable oil as these oils can take higher temperatures before 'burning' and becoming noxious .... is noxious a word?

You know what I mean :indifferent:
  • taliar93
    taliar93 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've only ever heard of you shouldn't cook with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, something about the way/amount of times the olives are pressed through makes the oil "change" during cooking and your food is going to taste like crap, learnt that the hard way on a pork roast a few years ago, and the had the suspicion confirmed when I attended Ministry of Food (Jamie Oliver's cooking classes) and was taught by a Masterchef contestant :)

And for the record, all of the classes we used Olive oil to cook with.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It has a lower smoke point than other oils, so you can more eaily burn off it's good qualities. But I cook with it when I want that taste in whatever I'm making. Otherwise, I use canola.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've only ever heard of you shouldn't cook with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, something about the way/amount of times the olives are pressed through makes the oil "change" during cooking and your food is going to taste like crap, learnt that the hard way on a pork roast a few years ago, and the had the suspicion confirmed when I attended Ministry of Food (Jamie Oliver's cooking classes) and was taught by a Masterchef contestant :)
    Extra virgin is the first press. The only difference is taste. EVOO is more expensive and since cooking it into recipes makes the subtle taste differences less noticable, it's just cheaper to cook with the later presses. Your food will not taste like crap is you use EVOO.
  • bcattoes
    Options
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options

Yes wh olive oil is heated it loses it' nutritional benefits. That's why you should only buy cold pressed olive oil. It can be added after cookking for flavor or used in salads.:smile:
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options

Any assertion made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
    As I tell my children: always follow the evidence.
    kind regards,

Ben