Runners - Miles on sneakers

Options
I have read that you should retire your sneakers and get new ones every 500 miles. Is this true for runners or should I retire them sooner. I've got just over 400 and I've noticed that I'm getting shin-splints. I'm wondering if I need new sneakers.

Thoughts!

Replies

• beccci91
    beccci91 Posts: 214
    Options
    I get new trainers whenever I feel my old ones aren't supporting my feet and ankles as they should.

Its all about the support for me, not the milage BUT spending the money on a good pair of trainers will get you the support for long and therefore a greater milage. Some things, like trainers, are definitely worth the investment.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    If you are getting shin splints and you haven't changed up your running routine then yes it is time for new kicks.

The distance of shoe actually varies.
    >Brand
    >Surface
    >Type of Treads
    >Footfall of the runner
    >Weight of the runner
    >Weather conditions used
    Plus many other factors can determine the life of a shoe. So for someone who needs a new shoe at 500 miles, another person may have to get nwe ones at 300. It all depends on the different aspects of the person using them.
  • JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    I've recently heard the same thing when I posted about back pain. I have about 800 miles on my shoes now and I think it is just about time to get new ones. But many of the responses I got stated 500 miles = new shoes. I suppose your stride, trail vs treadmill running all makes a difference.
  • GBPack93
    GBPack93 Posts: 76
    Options
    I just kind of play it by ear. I once had a pair go over 1000 miles and I would not recommend that, but once they start feeling uncomfortable, like you said you are getting shin splints, it may be time for a change. I usually go over 500 miles on my shoes though, don't want to throw away my money every 2 months.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    400 miles is a good number to retire them! I have one pair that has over 700 miles that I just can't get rid of but I swap them out with two other pairs regularly. I think if your feet and shins are hurting it would be the first place to start.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I replace mine when ether my toes are sticking out or there is no rubber left on the bottom. My last pair got 2800 miles before I retired them.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It depends. Different shoes wear out at different rates for different people. For example, someone 300lbs is going to break down the support in a shoe a lot faster than someone 150lbs.

I just go by feel. One pair I got 2 full seasons out of (no idea the actual mileage), the next pair I only got 1 season from (similar amounts of running each season, so roughly half the miles).
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylgzgbzC9i4&list=FLqYl5lJFLyD4VLihoUo_h9A&index=3

^^ video by a podiatrist, on how to tell when you need to replace your shoes.

But, basically what the others have said above. It will vary on a lot of factors. So sometimes you'll get a lot more than 500 miles, sometimes a lot less.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I don't really know how many miles I have on my 2 pairs of shoes right now. I can generally tell when I need new shoes. I start getting shin splints and calf pain. I do a quick reality check trying to figure out if I've been doing anything different with my training if not, I figure out what shoes have more miles and replace them. So far it has fixed my problems every time.
  • eaglefish
    eaglefish Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I find mine need retiring somewhere between 400 & 500 miles. The breakdown is slow so It's hardly noticeable but it really jumps out at me the moment when I make the first run in a new pair.

For what its' worth, I'd strongly recommend that if you're going to race do NOT do it in brand new shoes! Get the new ones at least a month before the race & wear them regularly to get they & your feet used to each other.
  • eaglefish
    eaglefish Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Should have added, all my miles are outside irregardless of weather conditions on paved asphalt roads. I'm 207 to 215 ish. This may cause mine to break down quicker than what a lighter runner using a treadmill would experience.
  • 1capybara
    1capybara Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I replace mine when ether my toes are sticking out or there is no rubber left on the bottom. My last pair got 2800 miles before I retired them.
    yeah, now that i can understand!
    other than that, just get a pair of new foam insoles = $2
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Except that does nothing to help with support, for those who need it.
  • bwright9752
    bwright9752 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I find I can extend the life of my shoes by about 100% if I swap to an aftermarket insole when I start to feel the shoe is giving me less support. I don't buy the real expensive insoles, but he ~$20 ones that are heavy foam sometimes with a little plastic cup in the arch. One store I buy them from has a 1 year guarantee on the insoles so when they start to break down I take them back and get a brand new pair.
    So the cycle usually looks like this...
    New shoes running in the original insoles
    3 months in i'm starting to lose support and I get a pair of after market insoles
    Another 3 months and the shoes are pretty trashed and relegated to lawn mowing and gardening work.
    I buy new shoes with the original insoles.
    3 months later I take my old after market insoles back and get a free pair and put them in my shoes because I'm starting to lose support.
    And the cycle goes on and on every 6 months getting new shoes.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options

I should have added that my feew don't need any support. I only need enough shoe to protect the bottom of my feet from rocks and other stuff on the pavement.

For anyone who replaces shoes to get more cushion, most of the cushioning in the shoe is gone far before you reach even 100 miles. That doesn't really matter though because that doesn't change the impact forces in your legs one bit. The body is smart and automatically adjusts for running surface, including the cushion under your feet. Impact forces to your body are the same whether you run with marshmellow shoes or completely barefoot.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Many factors determine when you need to get new running shoes but the top is look at the tread....is there any left? Are you still getting the support you require when running?

I try to keep two pairs of shoes and alternate because this helps them last longer, and also helps me with my stride, and prevent injury.

And since I run mostly on the road; I end up replacing my shoes at around 350 - 400 miles.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I get new trainers whenever I feel my old ones aren't supporting my feet and ankles as they should.

Its all about the support for me, not the milage BUT spending the money on a good pair of trainers will get you the support for long and therefore a greater milage. Some things, like trainers, are definitely worth the investment.

This or in other words, when they hurt you feet, legs, knees, whatever.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Check the sides of the soles for wrinkles. If they're there, then the sole has compressed and is no longer doing its job.
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    For anyone who replaces shoes to get more cushion, most of the cushioning in the shoe is gone far before you reach even 100 miles. That doesn't really matter though because that doesn't change the impact forces in your legs one bit. The body is smart and automatically adjusts for running surface, including the cushion under your feet. Impact forces to your body are the same whether you run with marshmellow shoes or completely barefoot.

I have a good friend who runs ultra marathons and he says the same thing.

He also suggested to me to hold on to some of the shoes that I was about to throw out and rotate them in with newer shoes. He strongly believes that running with different types of cushioning helps the feet/legs/body adapt better to the stresses of running. So, I have about 5 pairs of shoes in my rotation and I have been running injury free since I started this practice.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

I should have added that my feew don't need any support. I only need enough shoe to protect the bottom of my feet from rocks and other stuff on the pavement.

Is cushion different than support? To me, people want cushion to aleviate imapct, support to control/correct pronation issues.