Anyone else crave carbs in the morning?

Options
mazmataz
mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
For some reason I find it really difficult to get through the morning without a carb fix. Wether it's a slice of bread or a cinnamon roll (one of my favourite things to eat on this earth!), I just need that feeling in my stomach in the morning to feel satisfied. Otherwise I feel quite empty/hungry. From lunchtime onwards I can take or leave carbs.

Does anyone else get this? If so have you found a nice healthy/low cal substitute I'd love to know!

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I just crave coffee in the morning :drinker:
  • mazmataz
    Options
    Haha I've recently cut out coffee...trying to drink green tea instead as I can't drink coffee without cream and sugar...maybe that's what's missing ;)

Just for the record, what I usually have in the morning (when carbs aren't involved!) is yoghurt and fruit and maybe some orange juice. This morning I had a small bowl of rice krispies with skim milk and some rasberries, and I'm not satisfied at all!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason that you don't want to eat a carb-heavy breakfast?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    why can't you have carbs in the morning?
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    If you're gonna eat carbs, do it in the morning. Just make sure that when you crash, you don't get onto a carb roller coaster. I try to eat my carbiest foods in the morning, and more proteins in the afternoons. I did a low carb diet in the past (South Beach) and I have to admit that really, I like some carbs. I seem to do okay trying to limit them to a specific time of day, so I limit them to the morning. That way the easy carbs that raise my blood sugar are out of my system by the time I go to sleep and don't turn into fat overnight.

That's my theory but I bet my dietician friend would tell me I'm all wrong.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I don't deprive myself of anything that fits within my lifestyle, carbs being one of them.... Is there a reason (medical) why you would want to avoid them???
  • viragoeap
    viragoeap Posts: 107
    Options
    I've been a lot better since cutting cereals out of my breakfast and putting more protein in. My breakfast now consists of either porridge (oatmeal) with berries and a boiled egg, or berries with a greek yoghurt followed by a boiled egg. If I want a snack mid morning, a handful of cashew nuts usually suffice. My cravings always follow a sugary carb snack or meal! Hope this helps.
  • kmack1971
    kmack1971 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes I am the same, can take or leave them later in the day but love carbs to get me going. I tend to have raw porridge oats with greek yogurt and fruit and that gives me my carb fix and keeps me full till lunch.
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't the devil, I eat carby stuff pretty much every morning. There's plenty of nutritious breads out there full of fiber. If you eat it with some PB you've got healthy protein and fat to keep you full.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Yes. My solution is to eat some carbs in the morning.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Just make sure that when you crash, you don't get onto a carb roller coaster.

Like one of these?

coolest-roller-coaster-birthday-cake-4-21333080.jpg
  • mazmataz
    Options
    Haha I'm liking this advice...just eat your damn carbs in the morning!! No real reason why I can't, I'm just trying to cut down on carbs in general. I know that my body doesn't do well on too many carbs...I get bloated and sluggish...but I guess a slice of toast in the morning isn't going to kill me!

• mazmataz
    Options
    Just make sure that when you crash, you don't get onto a carb roller coaster.

Like one of these?

coolest-roller-coaster-birthday-cake-4-21333080.jpg

If I'm going to get involved in any kind of carb roller coaster, it would definitely be this one!!
  • mazmataz
    Options
    I've been a lot better since cutting cereals out of my breakfast and putting more protein in. My breakfast now consists of either porridge (oatmeal) with berries and a boiled egg, or berries with a greek yoghurt followed by a boiled egg. If I want a snack mid morning, a handful of cashew nuts usually suffice. My cravings always follow a sugary carb snack or meal! Hope this helps.

I always seem to forget about the wonder food that is porridge...I love it - and having grown up in Scotland you'd think it would be on my radar more lol.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Just for the record, what I usually have in the morning (when carbs aren't involved!) is yoghurt and fruit and maybe some orange juice. This morning I had a small bowl of rice krispies with skim milk and some rasberries, and I'm not satisfied at all!

Everything you mentioned, juice, fruit, yogurt (if not plain), rice Krispies, are mostly carbs anyway.
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My breakfast used to be an egg white omelet with fish and spinach in it. Now that I've also added a bowl of oatmeal to that, my mornings are much better.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    me,,, but I start my cardio at 4am, I like to do 2 to 3 hours,,so then I need the carbs for fuel,
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I never crave carbs. I don't eat processed foods.
  • TKRV
    TKRV Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My typical breakfast consist of Greek yogurt, steel cut oats and some fruit all mixed together. I find this gives me a good balance of carbs and protein that keeps me going through lunch.
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I've been a lot better since cutting cereals out of my breakfast and putting more protein in. My breakfast now consists of either porridge (oatmeal)

You haven't cut cereals out at all; oatmeal is a cereal.