Can I eat Snickers even if it fits my calories?

Options

Replies

• MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Great. Now I want chocolate and have none handy. :grumble: :sad:
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Why don't you make yourself do extra exercise to earn one when you want one but have it as a rule that you meet your basic calories with healthier foods?
    Cause this leads to an eating disorder. Think about it. You keep making "bad" choices and you use cardio to cover up the real issue. The real issue being a lack of self control and not using moderation.

Never use cardio to cover up the fact that you're eating too much.

So on the assumption they are going to eat the Snickers anyway it's better to be falling short on more nutritious foods? I'm really not suggesting copious amounts of exercise to allow binge eating, just earning a little treat here and there once in a while without sacrificing your healthy food intake.
  • heyyyyskinnygirl
    Options
    yes! i tend to have whatever i want as long as it fits in my calories:)
  • Ryane726
    Ryane726 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Don't deprive yourself of things you like. Just be smart about them.
    Don't have a snickers everyday. Make it a special occasion. Maybe once per week or what have you.

Everything in moderation. : )

If you deprive yourself of the things you enjoy, you will overindulge/binge and then you are back to square one.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Can you physically eat it? Yes. Should you? That's a different question.

If you're looking to lose weight and keep it off, trying to fit in Snickers, or cake, or a stick of butter, is probably not wise. It's about making better choices for the rest of your life. It's about having a sensible relationship with food and not having a binge mentality.

That's why I don't believe in "cheat" days and the like. If you want to eat something, eat it and move on. Don't binge, don't beat yourself up and don't question your choices. If you do any of the above, then you need to work on your relationship with food, sugar or whatever has a hold over you.

I completely disagree with the part in bold. I think that working foods I enjoy into my daily goal is the best way to make sure I keep off the weight I've lost. So far I've been in maintenance for 9 months. Allowing myself a wide variety of foods helps me stick to my goal. If I thought I had to eliminate ice cream, cookies, and the like forever I would not have stuck with this for the past two years. I would have just stayed fat.

I do agree with the second part, at least for me. But many people have success with cheat days and the like.

My thought was the question is just an odd one. "Can I eat Snickers even if it fits my calories?" Why are you trying a lifestyle change when you're obsessing about a Snickers bar? I guess, my view is that the person is not ready to embrace this yet and is already setting themselves up for a binge. Snickers are bad, so I can't have bad foods, so I need a cheat day where I can consume two bags of Snickers.

You can eat whatever you want. However, I would hope that this journey educates people a little more about their eating habits and behaviors that led them to this place. I guess just "conscious eating" is what I mean. That whole process of, "Why do I want this now?" and "Do I really want this or do I want something else?" or "Am I eating because I'm stressed out/worried/depressed/angry?"

I guess this is also easy for me because I have practically little or no sugar cravings (although you can't tell that from the German chocolate cupcakes on my food diary!) so I just find Snickers really repulsively sweet. I can eat an entire fresh sourdough/French baguette, though, but somehow manage to stop at a third.
  • myfitnesspaller
    myfitnesspaller Posts: 74 Member
    Options

If you're looking to lose weight and keep it off, trying to fit in Snickers, or cake, or a stick of butter, is probably not wise. It's about making better choices for the rest of your life. It's about having a sensible relationship with food and not having a binge mentality.

That's why I don't believe in "cheat" days and the like. If you want to eat something, eat it and move on. Don't binge, don't beat yourself up and don't question your choices. If you do any of the above, then you need to work on your relationship with food, sugar or whatever has a hold over you.

I completely disagree with the part in bold. I think that working foods I enjoy into my daily goal is the best way to make sure I keep off the weight I've lost. So far I've been in maintenance for 9 months. Allowing myself a wide variety of foods helps me stick to my goal. If I thought I had to eliminate ice cream, cookies, and the like forever I would not have stuck with this for the past two years. I would have just stayed fat.

I do agree with the second part, at least for me. But many people have success with cheat days and the like.

My thought was the question is just an odd one. "Can I eat Snickers even if it fits my calories?" Why are you trying a lifestyle change when you're obsessing about a Snickers bar? I guess, my view is that the person is not ready to embrace this yet and is already setting themselves up for a binge. Snickers are bad, so I can't have bad foods, so I need a cheat day where I can consume two bags of Snickers.

I dont know how you got the idea of me being obsessive about a chocolate bar(out of all the things in the world). I was just asking that if I have a snickers bar, which I have once in 2 weeks...will it slow or hamper my progress? If not, and if it fits my calories then I dont see why one cant have one?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

You can eat whatever you want. However, I would hope that this journey educates people a little more about their eating habits and behaviors that led them to this place. I guess just "conscious eating" is what I mean. That whole process of, "Why do I want this now?" and "Do I really want this or do I want something else?" or "Am I eating because I'm stressed out/worried/depressed/angry?"

I guess this is also easy for me because I have practically little or no sugar cravings (although you can't tell that from the German chocolate cupcakes on my food diary!) so I just find Snickers really repulsively sweet. I can eat an entire fresh sourdough/French baguette, though, but somehow manage to stop at a third.

Why are Snicker's "bad" and a sourdough baguette okay? You can make "better" choices for either one. What you are saying is that you have made a judgment call that a sourdough baguette is "good enough" but that a Snicker's is "repulsively sweet." You have done nothing more than converted your personal taste preferences into a value judgment on nutrition. I'll just skip over the cupcakes for now . . .
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Yes! Love snickers. Snickers > Mars.

Wait, are you saying Snickers weighs more than the planet Mars? Everybody on here knows a pound is a pound. :)
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    A regular snickers bar is:

Calories: 250
    Fat: 12g
    Carbs: 30g
    Protein: 4g

Does this fit in your caloric and macronutrient goals?
    Yes? Eat it.
    No? Don't eat it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Is it ok to eat snickers if it fits your daily calorie allowance? Or is that going to *slow down* your weight loss (even thou it fits the allotted daily calories). Im asking because I know its not HEALTHY, but I can have it and not go over my calories.

Thoughts? Opinions?
    Depends. How do you feel after a snickers?
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Why not? Just fit it into your daily allowance. Everything in moderation.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You'd better eat that Snickers or bad things will happen.
  • joan280
    joan280 Posts: 13
    Options
    I would--I think you can eat anything you want as long as you don't go over your daily allowance--don't have them every day, though.:heart:
  • christiegshields
    christiegshields Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Eat a mini snickers and see if that curbs your craving.
  • joan280
    Options
    If you don't allow yourself treats ever, you're going to end up binging on them later. I have a sweet tooth like you wouldn't believe and yeah, I do give into it often, but I've still lost weight every week since July. You just have to be smart about it.
  • joan280
    Options
    Don't deprive yourself of things you like. Just be smart about them.
    Don't have a snickers everyday. Make it a special occasion. Maybe once per week or what have you.

Everything in moderation. : )

If you deprive yourself of the things you enjoy, you will overindulge/binge and then you are back to square one.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Yes. However, if your diet is made up of bad foods on a regular occasion, your loss may be slower than someone who eats clean most of the time. You also might develop other health problems. But yes, if you have the calories, eat a snickers.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    [Why are Snicker's "bad" and a sourdough baguette okay? You can make "better" choices for either one. What you are saying is that you have made a judgment call that a sourdough baguette is "good enough" but that a Snicker's is "repulsively sweet." You have done nothing more than converted your personal taste preferences into a value judgment on nutrition. I'll just skip over the cupcakes for now . . .

Are you deliberately misunderstanding me or only partially reading posts? I'm thinking probably the latter.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

It sounds paternalistic to me. As if you are saying "you are not ready for the truth that you can have a snickers. It would be better if you just thought it wasn't a good idea." But I think people can be trusted to know that they can have a snickers or a baguette or whatever, as long as they are meeting their calorie and macro targets.

I also didn't get the part about the cheat day from the OP. She just asked whether she could have it if it fits. Did she say something that made you think she intended to have a cheat day so that she could eat nothing but snickers?
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Why not? Just fit it into your daily allowance. Everything in moderation.

because in this forum everything is absolute. You either caloric dense food or you do not.

If you do not eat 100% fruits, vegetables, and meat. You will get fat.

Even if you eat only 1 snickers bar a day and nothing else, your body will start absorbing energy from sources topcially and you will gain weight.