Going on a 1000 calorie diet

Options

Replies

• RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Why not 500?

Good luck.

Why stop there? 0 seems about the fastest way to get to the goal? Thats why its called FASTING. You get to your goal REALLY FAST

???????????? I had not heard this one before re: play on words "fast"... Funny! 0 calorie diet for the win.

OP: my two cents--I eat 1700+ calories daily (not including exercise calories and I'm female and see ticker ⬇⬇⬇)
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, it's your body's way of telling you to eat more. Good luck!

BTW, I'm a female, 6'1 & I weigh over 50 pounds more than you & my goal weight is 30 pounds more than your current weight. Might want to rethink a bit :flowerforyou:
  • khyuma04
    Options
    Weighed myself this morning and I'm 138ls at 6'0. For workouts I train boxing so its a mix of HIIT and low intensity stuff. Not that I particularly want to but lowering calories seems to be the only sure fire way to drop further lbs.

6'0" and 138lbs? AND you're male? AND you're 22? OP, you're not losing weight because you have nothing to lose. At that weight you are a tad above underweight and your body does not want to give up any more weight, especially considering what you're putting it through. What on earth makes you think you need to lose weight?

I still have relatively high bodyfat percentage that I want to reduce. I just have a thin bone structure which makes me lighter than I appear. I've been as low as 133lbs before but I was younger then and the weight came off easier, honestly think my ideal weight is around there.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Weighed myself this morning and I'm 138ls at 6'0. For workouts I train boxing so its a mix of HIIT and low intensity stuff. Not that I particularly want to but lowering calories seems to be the only sure fire way to drop further lbs.

6'0" and 138lbs? AND you're male? AND you're 22? OP, you're not losing weight because you have nothing to lose. At that weight you are a tad above underweight and your body does not want to give up any more weight, especially considering what you're putting it through. What on earth makes you think you need to lose weight?

I still have relatively high bodyfat percentage that I want to reduce. I just have a thin bone structure which makes me lighter than I appear. I've been as low as 133lbs before but I was younger then and the weight came off easier, honestly think my ideal weight is around there.

So, reduce the body fat percent without reducing the weight.
  • Make sure you are getting plenty of vitamins and minerals along with protein with a low calorie diet. Also drink half your weight in water ounces each day.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, trolls everywhere!!!

But just in case this is for real, then OP, you need medical/psychological help. If you really believe that you're sustaining a healthy lifestyle, and cutting to 1000 cals/day is also healthy, then you have a very warped understanding of the definition of "health".

Seek some help, and in the meantime, eat something.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I read with on the nhs website that you can go on very low cal diets for up to 12 weeks without causing any harm x
    ...why the hell would you WANT to?
  • MissStatement
    MissStatement Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I read with on the nhs website that you can go on very low cal diets for up to 12 weeks without causing any harm x

Obese people can do this under close observation of their physician. Not someone who is already at the "underweight" tipping point, like the OP.

OP, please consider eating back every calorie you exercise and eating much more in general.
  • deksgrl
    Options

Only for the obese. Not for anorexics.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

So, reduce the body fat percent without reducing the weight.

Yes. By lowering your calories more you're going to lose even more muscle and will still have a high body fat percentage, lowering calories is just going to make your problem worse. Eat closer to maintainance and hit the weights, hard. That will melt the fat off.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options

That's why I hate that people think only in scale measurements. You don't need to lose weight, then... only body fat. The 2 are not the same. In fact, you would probably do better to gain a bit of weight... even while dropping your body fat %. The more muscle you have, the lower your body fat %. Make sense?

You can't gain muscle if you aren't eating.

Therefore, you can't really lower your body fat eating the way you do.

Raise your calories to maintenance. Eat at maintenance, or slightly above. Ensure you get adequate protein, and healthy fats. Start lifting. And watch your body change.
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    for those of you get off on posting sarcastic and cruel responses to posters who often have serious questions because they just don't know, especially people who are genuinely struggling.......one word, karma.

The things I "get off on" aren't on this website. Sorry to disappoint you.

LMAO! That brought a tear to my eye!
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    OP, you need to think about how you want to look. What are your health and fitness goals? You need to find out the facts on how to reach those goals and not just go with what you think will help you reach your goals. You obviously want to look lean since you said you want to lose more weight. But you need to understand that your plan of eating 1300 or 1000 calories will end up making you look weak and still skinny fat. If what you want is to look lean and firm go to the following sites, put in your info, find out your maintenance calories, eat that or very slightly less, and start lifting weights. It's not about weight. It's all about the ratio of muscle to fat. Feed your body. Fuel your body. Use your muscles. Get strong. Not weak. The chicks dig it. Or the dudes. Whatever floats your boat.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/
    or
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    Oh boy... Do not lower your calories. Are you doing the same exercises? Maybe your body is use to what you are doing.
  • moonshine_betty
    moonshine_betty Posts: 169 Member
    Options

That's why I hate that people think only in scale measurements. You don't need to lose weight, then... only body fat. The 2 are not the same. In fact, you would probably do better to gain a bit of weight... even while dropping your body fat %. The more muscle you have, the lower your body fat %. Make sense?

You can't gain muscle if you aren't eating.

Therefore, you can't really lower your body fat eating the way you do.

Raise your calories to maintenance. Eat at maintenance, or slightly above. Ensure you get adequate protein, and healthy fats. Start lifting. And watch your body change.

MzManiak speaks the truth. Listen.
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    This sounds like eating disorder territory.
  • khyuma04
    Options
    OP, you need to think about how you want to look. What are your health and fitness goals? You need to find out the facts on how to reach those goals and not just go with what you think will help you reach your goals. You obviously want to look lean since you said you want to lose more weight. But you need to understand that your plan of eating 1300 or 1000 calories will end up making you look weak and still skinny fat. If what you want is to look lean and firm go to the following sites, put in your info, find out your maintenance calories, eat that or very slightly less, and start lifting weights. It's not about weight. It's all about the ratio of muscle to fat. Feed your body. Fuel your body. Use your muscles. Get strong. Not weak. The chicks dig it. Or the dudes. Whatever floats your boat.

or

Thanks for the info. According to that calculator i would have to eat 2500 cals to maintain my weight with my current activity level. Seems kind of high.

Not really, my body still has plenty of fat stores to use. If I was bone thin you'd have a point., I'm just determined to lose the fat.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

or

Thanks for the info. According to that calculator i would have to eat 2500 cals to maintain my weight with my current activity level. Seems kind of high.

Not really, my body still has plenty of fat stores to use. If I was bone thin you'd have a point., I'm just determined to lose the fat.

If you're determined to lose the fat, you need to start eating more (but staying at a slight deficit) and lifting harder to ensure that your body maintains muscle mass while losing fat. If the scale is dropping, at that low a caloric intake. you're losing more than fat.

IMHO, 2500 calories for maintenance sounds about right.
  • deksgrl
    Options

or

2500 calories to maintain is typical for a young male. 2000 is typical for a young female.

Eating so few calories will not help you lose fat. You will just be lighter, but still fat.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options

or

2500 calories to maintain is typical for a young male. 2000 is typical for a young female.

Eating so few calories will not help you lose fat. You will just be lighter, but still fat.

OP, I think you are where many of us have been. You have an idea in your head about what weight loss is like or what you need to do to reach your goal. Your determination is admirable but take a minute to consider that what you're doing may not be the best way to reach your goals. You don't need to go hungry to lose weight. Trust us. We've been there and learned from our mistakes. You really don't need to starve. I'm a 39 yr old 5'4" woman and I can eat over 1800 calories and still burn fat. Surely you would agree that as a 22 yr old man you need more fuel than me. 2500 calories sounds very reasonable. You can eat more and still have lose the fat and build a better, healthier body. Why not go about it in a way that allows you to feel good while you're working on looking good?

Sometimes a guy needs to hear things from another guy. Check out these threads.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?hl=short+sweet+tdee