Do your pets need to lose weight too?

Options
I'm a huge animal lover. I don't spoil my pets horribly with treats or bad food, yet somehow they are all overweight. My whole family, human and animal, needs to lose weight! Anyone else have overweight pets? How have you helped them lose weight?

Our beagle who passed last year (RIP) was overweight and we successfully trimmed her down. For some reason it's harder this time around with our little terrier and new beagle. And the cats are chubby too. We feed them on a schedule. Play. Walks. I don't know what else to do.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Feed them less, exercise with them more
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Feed them less, exercise with them more

Really? Shouldn't we put them on HCG or something. I mean, thats the only way I know how to lose weight as a human.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I would also be interested in this thread. One of our cats is overweight, no matter how timed the feedings are.

What kinds of exercises can you do with a cat? She will bat at a string for a few minutes but then loses interest and doesn't want to do anything.
  • verymissk
    verymissk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    No, our dogs are allowed to taste what is left on our plates when it's natural fats and fiber, but they don't get table scraps or people food. They are given treats several times a day, and are free-fed. But, we also play with them every day, and take them with us on walks several times a week. If they started to gain weight to an unhealthy level, we would probably switch away from free-feeding and cut back on treats.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Mine aren't. But they go the park and play outside in the yard A LOT. I alternate taking the dogs with me on my shorter runs (handling two at a time sucks). They have an automatic feeder so they can eat whenever they want to. Same with the cat, but I have the food on a ledge so he has to jump up and down to get to it. And the pups give the cat a good work out every night playing tag.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    pretty sure fancy feast offers an option with raspberry ketones, so that takes care of your cats...
  • Manarelle
    Manarelle Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I moved into a new apartment with a really long hallway between the bedroom and the dining room. We make a point to never walk down it, but rather always chase the cat down it. Gets us both exercise, though the cat's not too thrilled about it. Seems to be working though, as she's become more interested in playing and using her scratcher!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Nope... our pets are fed a proper amount and they get adequate exercise.... two of our pets could really eat more...
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I moved into a new apartment with a really long hallway between the bedroom and the dining room. We make a point to never walk down it, but rather always chase the cat down it. Gets us both exercise, though the cat's not too thrilled about it. Seems to be working though, as she's become more interested in playing and using her scratcher!

When we lived in a townhouse I would throw a toy mouse up the stairs (and then down the hallway when we moved to a house) for our Tabby cat to fetch and bring back.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I would also be interested in this thread. One of our cats is overweight, no matter how timed the feedings are.

What kinds of exercises can you do with a cat? She will bat at a string for a few minutes but then loses interest and doesn't want to do anything.

Get the cat used to a leash and take it for walks. Get a cat tree. Limit the food and buy over weight food. Get door dangles, they are cat toys that hang from the door knobs. Give your cat a crumbled up sheet of paper or wrapping paper. Create a cardboard cat house for it to play with. And it isn't about the time of the feedings, it is about the type and amount.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    My dogs are very thin, and my German Shepherd is difficult to get to eat. She'd rather play. Since we forced my kitty to be an inside kitty she has gotten chunky. She used to climb and chase birds all day now she just eats and sleeps.

I'd let her out but I'm scared that she'll be eaten by coyotes
  • julesyb1982
    Options
    Well here's our issues:

My oldest cat is 11 and still pretty active, but not as much. We can get her to play still with no problem. I personally think she looks thin but my vet says she's overweight. First time a vet has every commented on her weight.

My youngest cat is 7 and won't play. We try but she's shy and lazy.

My oldest dog is great on walks but our other dog sucks. She's an active little girl and we feed her a reduced diet, yet her little belly pudge won't move.

Finally - our newest addition and youngest pet, the beagle.. was SEVERELY obese before she came to us. She was very trim and lean when we got her and has gained a pound or two. She hates being outside and just wants to chillax on the couch. We will engage her often in play and she does well but would rather sleep.

All of our pets are fed on a schedule and at lower the amount recommended (per our vets). All very healthy otherwise and no medical issues. Just stinks that they're overweight as well - I take better care of them than myself!!
  • julesyb1982
    Options

When we lived in a townhouse I would throw a toy mouse up the stairs (and then down the hallway when we moved to a house) for our Tabby cat to fetch and bring back.

We used to do that in our townhouse too!
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have a dog and 2 cats. The cats are female litter mates, one of which is fixed and the other is not. I have always free fed them but the fixed one is now overweight while the intact one is not. I guess getting her weight down will mean no more free feeding and lots more laser pointer lol.

My dog on the other hand is on a schedule. He's a 75lb Boxer/GSD and I give him one scoop of food in the morning and one at night. I think the scoop is about 2 cups worth. We go on a lot of long walks and I take him up to the dog park most weekends. He is also fixed and his weight has never been an issue. I agree, just try to control their portions and exercise/play with them more.
  • janessanessa
    janessanessa Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I will contribute by saying, I am a small animal veterinarian, and I deal with overweight pets everyday. If anyone has any specific questions, or wants tips or advice where you might be doing something wrong, please send me a PM and I will try and help you out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    My cat is fat...my dog is no longer fat; she gets more running and walking in these days. That cat is a lost cause though...
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Our cat eats an indoor formula of cat food. She sleeps most of the day but has little bursts of activity, generally involving attempting to maul us, or one of her toys, or both. This routine seems to be working fine for her, as the vet says she's at a healthy weight.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Get the cat used to a leash and take it for walks. Get a cat tree. Limit the food and buy over weight food. Get door dangles, they are cat toys that hang from the door knobs. Give your cat a crumbled up sheet of paper or wrapping paper. Create a cardboard cat house for it to play with. And it isn't about the time of the feedings, it is about the type and amount.

Those are good ideas! We do not have a cat tree nor toys that hang from door knobs. I could make a cardboard house - that's fantastic! I haven't tried crumbled up paper. Thank you - these are great!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    My vet told me my dog was fat a couple of years ago. She was almost 50 pounds. I was feeding according to the dog food package and I walked her several miles every day.

Turns out, the dog food label way over estimated the amount of food my dog needs. I had to do some research, but I discovered from dog owner forums how to calculate calories for your dog. I then had to find out how many calories were in her dog food. This wasn't easy!

I learned how to bulk up her food while cutting calories so she didn't feel hungry all the time. Foods like pumpkin puree, apples, and peas added more volume without adding much in the way of calories.

She is happily hovering around 35 pounds now. My vet says that is just about right for her breed.
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I have a labrador retriever. He is my <3 dog. He was always a good weight for his breed. At 22 months, he was diagnosed with bilateral elbow dysplacia. He had the surgery done at 23 months. Since then (he is now 5) he has been on lead resticted walks (to prevent him from getting 'bouncy'). He loves to play with other dogs etc but if he does any further damage to his elbows, the only option is joint replacement. As a result, he has put n a few kilos. I have him on a very strict diet. Now that i am fitter, he is becoming fitter too, we go for 'higher intensity' walks now. I do a little slow running with him on soft ground. He has lost 1.5 kilos this month :) I am thinking of getting him an MFP account :)