Going gluten free?

Options
2»

Replies

• rfihn
    rfihn Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just throwing it out there that if you do take the gluten free bread home to keep it in the freezer. It goes bad super quickly and is also very delicate. You'll want to toast it in order to use it for a sandwich without it crumbling into pieces. I am not gluten free, just worked at a deli for a while and we had gluten free options.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I'm grain, dairy, and added salt and sugar free. I feel like a million bucks. First time since I was eighteen that I have NO cravings or desire to binge, and trust me, that was NUMEROUS presidential terms ago.

I'm a vegetarian/vegan...and I would find going grain free tough. How do you manage this?
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Get checked for gluten sensitivity by a doctor. A gluten free diet
    makes it all the more difficult to get the fiber your body needs.

not really. veges/fruit have plenty of fiber. as do the nut and seed flours. I am happily gluten free and not Celiac. My energy level has soared.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    The last time I took gluten out of my diet I lost almost 20 pounds in two weeks. Once I get my medical back I plan on having a blood test to see what I am allergic to.

because gluten adds calories right?
    Gluten gives your body energy?
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Get the blood test done first to see if you are actually gluten sensitive or have celiac's disease. If you stop eating gluten before you take it the test will come back negative even if you have gluten sensitivity. Celiacs and gluten sensitivity put you at greater risk of developing osteoperosis and other issues caused by malnutrition. Those are issues that your physician will want to monitor.

I had my blood test for celiac's this morning. I ate wheat products all last week and this week to prep for it. Now that I've had the test I'm going to do the FODMAP elimination diet.

Huh??? Malnutrition...???? HUH???? Confused, very very confused on malnutrition.

I have been GRAIN FREE since March. I make home-made muffins, pancakes, and breads from nut and seed flours. I get plenty of fiber. I feel fantastic....not starved.
  • maracuya23
    maracuya23 Posts: 122
    Options
    Re: malnutrition and Celiac's. Folks with the condition have severe enough damage to the lining of their intestines that they no longer absorb all of the nutrition from foods they ingest, leaving them malnourished. Once gluten-free, the autoimmune reaction stops, allowing their intestinal walls to repair themselves and nutrients to be fully absorbed again.

A balanced gluten-free diet with plenty of fresh fruit and veg would not leave someone lacking fiber or micronutrients.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Re: malnutrition and Celiac's. Folks with the condition have severe enough damage to the lining of their intestines that they no longer absorb all of the nutrition from foods they ingest, leaving them malnourished. Once gluten-free, the autoimmune reaction stops, allowing their intestinal walls to repair themselves and nutrients to be fully absorbed again.

A balanced gluten-free diet with plenty of fresh fruit and veg would not leave someone lacking fiber or micronutrients.

This. This is why people who are gluten intolorent/celiac may find themselves losing weight before being diagnosed...among other reasons.
  • aloha311
    aloha311 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    There is also wheat allergies. I personally am allergic to wheat, rye and barley. I do not have a gluten intolerance or Celiac's disease but I have to remove it from my diet because of my wheat allergy. That is something else to have checked out.
  • missygeisha
    Options
    I don't think so ! I don't eat gluten and i can tell you I eat a lot of fibre and I have been healthier ever since. Go figure, when I really want to eat a pizza I make the crust out of zucchini It's healthier, packed with fibre and tasty and gluten free. That said, going gluten free is not easy, far from that but definitely healthier if you don't but all the gluten free substitute supermarkets offer.
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    The last time I took gluten out of my diet I lost almost 20 pounds in two weeks. Once I get my medical back I plan on having a blood test to see what I am allergic to.
    No offence but it's impossible to lose 20 pounds of fat in two weeks, that's 10 weeks work MINIMUM unless you are severely overweight even then it's no less than 5 except for extreme circumstances

OP didn't say she thought her lose was fat. People with true gluten sensitivity have an inflammatory reaction to it. Inflammation means lbs of water being pumped into the inflamed area as part of the body's inflammatory response. Once the the problem has been removed, and the inflammation subsides, the water weight comes off.

Exactly. I didnt lose fat loss, I lost a lot of water weight. I have been gluten free for three days and have i have already lost 1.3 pounds.