Muscles of MFP

Options
2»

Replies

• Halbared
    Halbared Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    what style are you getting into (Barbell or machine) ,(strength ,endurance ,hypertrophy )?

good question, i have no idea what im doing!

Best thing you can do is get a program written for you by one of the trainers at your gym.
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'd love to start lifting but have no idea where to start.
  • Dol10
    Dol10 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    what style are you getting into (Barbell or machine) ,(strength ,endurance ,hypertrophy )?

good question, i have no idea what im doing!

Best thing you can do is get a program written for you by one of the trainers at your gym.

Or do the research yourself and forget the trainers all together.
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! Best decision you can make for yourself. I've been lifting heavy for over a year now. Feel free to send a FR over :) Good places to start are New Rules for Women, StrongLifts, & Starting Strength. Form is probably the most important part of lifting so be sure to check out YouTube & Bodybuilding.com. Don't be afraid to ask people in the gym either! The guys who lift aren't really as scary as they seem and are usually willing to help (I've never encountered someone who didn't want to help but I didn't want to create a blanket statement ;))

All this! Lifting has done wonders for me.

Agreed on all counts here, too.

Good luck! :D
  • missdamman
    Options
    i have some friends that lift, hoping to get help from them :)
  • Event_Horizon975
    Event_Horizon975 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Love lifting!
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Just pay attention to your measurements and how you look and feel and not the scale.

^^^ This
  • italral
    italral Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Wish my wife liked to lift weights :(

I wish my hubby liked to lift as much as I do! He lifts a couple of times a week but only the lifts he likes (bench, curl, OHP) and he's always willing to spot me if I'm unsure about upping weight so I guess I'll take what I can get. lol.

I second that. My husband doesn't get it, he thinks lifting is boring. I love it!

On another note, I'm doing Stronglifts, and think it is a great program to start with. I don't like trainers, because they tend to shy away from heavy lifting, and send you on a rat race for isolated movements (bicep curls, leg extensions, etc.) as opposed to compound movements like squats, bench presses, OHP that work multiple muscle groups at once. You want exercises that help in your everyday activities like climbing stairs or carrying groceries. That's my two cents for ladies looking for a place to start.
  • Halbared
    Halbared Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Or do the research yourself and forget the trainers all together.

That's one way. The gym is full of people with poor form. For a rank beginner, the best advice will be immediate hands on advice.
    Not necessarily a trainer, but someone right there beside you advising on technique.
  • robabob3
    robabob3 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hurts a lot when you start but stick with it and soon you'll love the pain of it, and it sounds dramatic but.... it will change your life.

Couldn't recommend lifting highly enough.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Love lifting!

Im excited for you! It is always nice to start seeing your body changing and getting definition where you never had it before. I hope you enjoy it. I LOVE lifting. Ive been doing it for a yr and a half and find it the best part of my day. Do our research like others have told you and decide what your goals will be and go from there.

If you can afford it, i would suggest a trainer for a few sessions at least to teach you a few things and proper form. its worth the investment . You have to find something you enjoy. Alot of people like the stronglifts program....i find it too boring for me. I prefer variety so i do alot of isolation exercises. Just find whatever you will stick with.

Good luck and have fun making those muscles!!!!!