Calories in a spider??

Options
2»

Replies

• Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I read that this was a myth, but after seeing a compilation video on Youtube with a spider crawling out of a guys mouth, I think its pretty possible!

And for everyone's entertainment, why you should always check under the lid at public loos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7skCdp5oTIE
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity...

The heaviest spider species in Britain can weigh up to 2.5 grams.
    Calories unknown... but there are 121 calories in 100 grams of crickets.
    8 spiders per year are probably at most 25 calories.

Edited because I mis-copied. Araneus quadratus can at most weigh 2.25-2.5 grams (two different sources).
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    yeah but - which day do you log them then?
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Good morning FunkySpunky,

I'm sorry that all of these people are not taking your question seriously.

The sort of spiders that you would be likely to inadvertently swallow will contain a truly negligible number of calories - in most instances less than one. Considering that there are about 3500 calories in a pound of fat, you would need to sleep for 500 years to gain a pound!

Other arachnids might contain higher caloric content, such as the solifugae or so-called camel spider.

However, a spider on the order of eight inches long is not something that you would be likely to inadvertently swallow in your sleep.

Sincerely,
    DC

Another important question that arises from this: If I swallow a camel spider in my sleep, do I need to log the water from it's humps?
  • LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    Options
    I have sleep apnoea and have to wear a mask to sleep. Does that mean my diet is lacking in protein as I'm not getting the required number of spiders?
  • grggmrtn
    grggmrtn Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Search the database for "Spiders & Bugs - Accidental Ingestion While Sleeping".

It seems MFP has already foreseen the possibility...
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Collect at least 8 average sized spiders from around your house that you think you may be likely to swallow. Burn them individually to establish the amount of energy they produce

Divide the resultant total by the number of spiders you collected and you will have the average calorie content of a spider. Now all you need to know is exactly how many spiders you consume. You might need to video yourself sleeping to be able to log correctly.

If you don't log correctly, how on earth can you possibly hope to lose weight?
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    It's a concern. Also lipstick/lipgloss.

The average woman eats 35 lipsticks in her lifetime...

MFP puts 'accidental spider ingestion' at 25 calories. Far too vague imo. Yeah well what if the spider just ate a BIG, FAT FLY!? Or it had lost a couple of its legs in a tragic door-closing incident?

Come on MFP the world needs to know!
  • 1wweightloss
    Options
    The average person swallows 8 spiders per year while sleeping. You can rest peacefully, because the chances of your swallowing a spider while you are asleep.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    SPIDERS ARE SABOTAGING ME
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Depends on the size of the spider

2e0u048.gif
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I have sleep apnoea and have to wear a mask to sleep. Does that mean my diet is lacking in protein as I'm not getting the required number of spiders?

You might want to supplement your spider intake.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Good morning FunkySpunky,

I'm sorry that all of these people are not taking your question seriously.

The sort of spiders that you would be likely to inadvertently swallow will contain a truly negligible number of calories - in most instances less than one. Considering that there are about 3500 calories in a pound of fat, you would need to sleep for 500 years to gain a pound!

Other arachnids might contain higher caloric content, such as the solifugae or so-called camel spider.

However, a spider on the order of eight inches long is not something that you would be likely to inadvertently swallow in your sleep.

Sincerely,
    DC

Another important question that arises from this: If I swallow a camel spider in my sleep, do I need to log the water from it's humps?

Is eating a camel spider how you catch camel toe?
  • grggmrtn
    grggmrtn Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Is eating a camel spider how you catch camel toe?

Wait.... camel toe is CONTAGIOUS?????
  • weese17
    weese17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options

2e0u048.gif

dwight-screaming-o.gif
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

This. I reckon there's a few calories in this one: