• Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    No body makes you go and eat out side of the house
    You do not have to clean your plate
  • Carol_Magee
    Carol_Magee Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'll have to finish reading later. Very interesting topic! A real eye opener.
  • ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

OF COURSE, cultural influences can be ignored or overcome. That doesn't mean they don't exist.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

OF COURSE, cultural influences can be ignored or overcome. That doesn't mean they don't exist.

In fact, being consciously aware of them likely aids one in overcoming them.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Who the heck vacuums for 90 minutes? Seriously. My home is small at 1200 square feet but when I vacuum thoroughly it takes 10 minutes.
    Maybe they are doing it thoroughly, vacuuming all the furniture with the attachments, blinds maybe, etc...The floors alone don't take that long.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Who the heck vacuums for 90 minutes? Seriously. My home is small at 1200 square feet but when I vacuum thoroughly it takes 10 minutes.
    Maybe they are doing it thoroughly, vacuuming all the furniture with the attachments, blinds maybe, etc...The floors alone don't take that long.
    I wonder if they are counting a carpet shampoo afterwards as well?
  • mrmagee3
    Options

Do you people have stairs?

And if so, would you mind coming over to vacuum? I can't vacuum my house in 10 minutes.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options

And if so, would you mind coming over to vacuum? I can't vacuum my house in 10 minutes.

I can, but it's because I don't have carpet. Anyone want to come over and sweep and mop?
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I agree our culture plays a part in obesity. I just don't agree restaurant portions is entirely to blame or even mostly to blame. We do not move like we use to either. There are so many products/services out there to make our lives easier and save time we don't move anymore.

For example, I work from home now. If it wasn't for my dog I could go days without hitting 10,000 steps. Bed to desk is about 10 feet. I could get all my food delivered to me. Not even talking about restaurant delivery (which we rarely do). I can get organic vegetables, fruit, dairy, meats and even condiments delivered right to my house.

I like the option of working from home, but I have to really think about getting up and moving around. I also really watch my portion sizes. Unfortunately, a lot of people are not like me.
  • ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options

We ripped the carpet off our stairs. Vacuuming them was the worst. :smile:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have not had an issue with the food I order being too large of a portion size, but I think that is based on the restaurant choices and food options I choose (I've probably done this without fully realizing it, but just because I wanted a normal sized meal that was not excessive in calories), I also ask for substitutions such as a salad instead of fries or I will give the side dishes (french fries/bread, etc) to my husband or children or just tell them not to give it to me. And I will take leftovers home (and I don't complain about it because I like leftovers and having another meal). I also live in Canada now, not sure there is any difference between the U.S. and Canada in this regard.

But, I do think large portions are problematic because it results in food waste!

I don't overeat because I strongly dislike the feeling of being full.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I have stairs. I can vacuum them in about three minutes.
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Just this weekend i was told how "rude" I was that I didn't eat with everyone else. I had already eaten and was joining them JUST to see them... I felt bad and started to eat some of the pizza, about 1/2 down with a slice, I ACTUALLY had to go throw up... my stomach hurt so bad from the high fat, high calories, and the fact that people make you feel bad for actually watching your weight... it is amazing. I told my boyfriend, next time I just wont' join him and his friends because they are all HUGE and although I am thinner, I want to stay that way.

I remember being with my family for dinner and a few of them started making comments about how I shouldn't starve myself because I only had 1 plate of food. I really didn't know how to react to that. I ate, I was full so I stopped eating. I think it's more that those people feel self conscious about themselves and when they see you making healthier choices when they aren't they feel guilty. If you join and make unhealthy choices with them, in their heads it justifies their own unhealthy decisions.
  • mrmagee3
    Options

Sweet. When will you be over? :laugh:
  • sokkache
    sokkache Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    That's why people should realize that eating out is only for occasions, not every night. I know that people don't "have" the time to cook, but when it comes to health, that should be one of the biggest priorities in your life.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I personally LOVE large portion sizes at restaurants. But that is because I am a poor graduate student, and see three meals in that one dish. I just about always get a box to take some home. Eating out is a luxury for me, and I'm thankful that when I do, I get more for my buck.
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options

Sweet. When will you be over? :laugh:

Sometimes I vacuum under all the furniture, sometimes I don't. I have a roomba to help me sometimes. I don't usually do the whole house at once, just down or just up. I am going to have to try vacuuming with all the different variables and timing myself so I can join this conversation:flowerforyou:
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options

Just found this, thought it appropriate

mban3893l.jpg
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    truth_about_portion_distortion.png

WOW!