Ladies w/ long hair: how do u manage w/ ur exercise?

Options
noor_v
noor_v Posts: 133 Member
I have long hair... it's past my bra strap and almost reaching my lower back. And I love my hair. I've cut it in the past but I've decided not to cut it again. But it takes takes me an extra 30 mins in the shower every time I wash it, and then another hour to dry it.

I wok full time, and I have a busy job - an an average, I work around 45-50 hours a week. And I'm trying to exercise 3-days a week - do the C25k. And my hair gets really sweaty after I exercise... but I don't have time to wash it 3 times a week... plus, it's also not good for the hair.... and it gets really challenging to manage it...

To the ladies with long hair.... how do you manage it??? Any tips? Suggestions??

Replies

• beallh
    beallh Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have long hair also and work out 4-5 times a week. Here are the things I've have found that work for me:

1. Dry Shampoo - I put it in after my workout to fluff up my hair and then add leave in conditioner to keep it frizz free. This works if I work out at night and then want to go out, or if I work out at my lunch break and go back to work.
    2. Braids! I love them, I braid the front peices, french braids, small briads, or just roll the front peices back and then put hair in a low braid or pony tail. It keeps the frizz down and it's interesting so my hair doesn't look greesy.
    3. When I wash it, to cut down on dry time I only dry the front peices of hair and leave the back wet. Usually pulling the back into a briad or bun. Then about an hour later at work I can take it down and I have nice curls in the back without frizziness in the front becuase I blow dried it.
    4. On the weekends I wash my hair and let it air-dry to cut down on damage from blow-drying.
    5. I use a deep conditioning mask once a week to add silkyness.

Hope this helps!
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I embraced my curls and found products that help style it without the use of the flat iron or blow dryer. New ways to style your hair can be fun too. I also had to make the decision to change my habits, sacrifice my “style” , and some of my time in order to achieve my goals.
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have really thick hair that is down to my mid-back and I'm planning to keep growing it out. I twist it and pile it on top of my head and wear a bandanda to keep the fly-aways off my neck to keep the sweat away from my hair line. I don't use alot of product so that helps to keep it less greasy and I often let my hair air dry to not damage it with heat. So yeah....bandana's and up-dos work for me:)
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I wash mine and don't dry it.. it saves time
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I used to have super long hair. Dry shampoo is great
  • _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Mine is almot to my butt and I work out at 5am, I shower and wash my hair every morning before going into work. I usually wrap it up in a bun style.
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    I have long, thick hair too. I usually wash it every day because I get grossly sweaty when I work out. Sometimes I use dry shampoo and do a quick blow dry. Then, I put it in a messy bun.

I hate getting ready because it takes so long to fix my hair.
  • NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I have long hair also and work out 4-5 times a week. Here are the things I've have found that work for me:

1. Dry Shampoo - I put it in after my workout to fluff up my hair and then add leave in conditioner to keep it frizz free. This works if I work out at night and then want to go out, or if I work out at my lunch break and go back to work.
    2. Braids! I love them, I braid the front peices, french braids, small briads, or just roll the front peices back and then put hair in a low braid or pony tail. It keeps the frizz down and it's interesting so my hair doesn't look greesy.
    3. When I wash it, to cut down on dry time I only dry the front peices of hair and leave the back wet. Usually pulling the back into a briad or bun. Then about an hour later at work I can take it down and I have nice curls in the back without frizziness in the front becuase I blow dried it.
    4. On the weekends I wash my hair and let it air-dry to cut down on damage from blow-drying.
    5. I use a deep conditioning mask once a week to add silkyness.

Hope this helps!

^^ Yup!
    Braids are my friends and when i wash it i sometimes just use conditioner so it won't be stripped of the oils(i have a dry scalp) i don't blow dry my hair, i wash my hair at night since i work out at night so it's not dripping wet when i get to work. i use coconut oil for my hair and it works great!
  • leelxxsh
    leelxxsh Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    French braids have been such a lifesaver. I found that ponytails would come out because of the bouncing motion, but the french braid stays put. It's amazing.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I wear a bandana and tie my hair in a messy bun.

If I workout in the morning I just run some conditioner through my hair while I shower just to freshen it up. I also shower and wash my hair every night before I hit the sack.
  • bamabutterfly83
    bamabutterfly83 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have curly hair down to about mid back and I intend to let it keep growing. I usually braid it or put it up in a bun for workouts. Dry shampoo is a lifesaver for weeks when I'm wanting to wear it straight. Also I try to keep the products in my hair to a minimum to not add any extra "dirt" to the equation. Since mine is curly I don't wash it more than twice a week if I can help it. Gotta keep the curls moisturized.
  • noor_v
    noor_v Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions!! They are very helpful.

I have wavy/curly hair and I'm used to using the flat iron every time I wash them. Now my flicks have finally grown and so I can tuck them behind my ear... and so I want to stop using the flat iron all the time.

What are some of the brands of products that you use?? For dry shampoo? And for hair mask??
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I have very long hair too, but I wash/dry it every morning - it's fine so it only takes an extra 10 min. On the weekends when I am not in a professional environment and can let my hair be naturally wavy, I use a dry shampoo or cornstarch to absorb the oil. If I decide to workout on my lunch break, I have a small blow dryer to help dry the sweaty hair.
  • sarah_lou22
    Options
    I wash my hair and let it airdry 3-4 days a week. I try not to wash my hair at all on weekends unless its necessary.

dry shampoo is a godsend -- use it along with a leave in conditioner and you will be good to go

don't add a lot of product to your hair on days when you are showering, save the product for the days your not.

anyone that knows me knows that if they see me with braided hair its because I didn't wash my hair that morning. braids are cute, professional, and keep your hair out of the way so it doesn't get worse by touching it all day!
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My hair is down past my bra strap, long and very straight. The individual strands are not thick, but there's a lot of it. During work outs, I throw it up in a bun.

I don't dry it - and never have. Frequently, I twist it up and clip it while it's still wet and it dries like that (gives my very straight hair some nice texture when it eventually comes down, too). Otherwise it air dries down.

I wash my hair after excessive sweating, but not on my rest or yoga days. So I run 3-4 times a week (after which I wash my hair), alternated with yoga or rest (when I don't).
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I workout in the am and get really, really sweaty. My hair will be drenched with sweat so I have to "wash" it every day.

However, I only use silicone free conditioner to "wash" my hair. I use silicone free gel to keep the frizzing down and let it air dry.

The only time it actually gets shampooed is when I have it cut and colored.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    If you are able to sleep with your hair wet, I suggest doing that.

My hair isn't extremely long, but it's the longest it's ever been (wavy/curly, thick but not super thick, currently past my shoulders but does not cover my breasts). My work-outs are in the evenings, and if I don't shower and wash my hair before going to work the next day, it always feels and looks gross. I just shower right before bed, sleep with it patted dry, and then put it up in some type of bun, ponytail, or braid for work the next day. And I work in an office, so I guess appearances matter to an extent :laugh:

ETA: Also, there's the baby powder trick!!!!! Pat some baby powder on the greasy spots on your hair if you don't have the time to wash it, and it will make your hair look less greasy, and it smells nice too!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    My hair used to be past my bra in the back, and I get super sweaty when I do any exercise. I've given up and decided to just wash it all the time, but I found this on pinterest: http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/beauty/post-workout/hair/5-minutes-to-bouncy-post-gym-hair/?page=1

I haven't tried it, but I hope that helps. :flowerforyou:
  • sylf1966
    sylf1966 Posts: 52
    Options
    Hello,
    I also have long hair and I must wash it after every workout. I use the Organix shampoo (Brazilian Keratin Therapy), I purchase this from Walmart and the line has shampoo for many hair types.
    In addition (also @ walmart) while my hair is wet, I spray in my hand (you can spray directly onto hair) and massage ORS Olive oil (avocado green can 15.9oz for under $6) in my hair; this hydrates your hair without making it oily. You can find the ORS in the isle for ethnic hair product. I hope this helps :)
  • sylf1966
    sylf1966 Posts: 52
    Options
    Sorry forgot to mention; The ORS Olive Oil spray is awesome on curly hair (like mine) just spray and let it air dry. :)