Measuring Frozen Food and Condiments

Options
I have searched the threads (a little) but have questions about this. I understand that meat and stuff should be measured raw, before cooking, but...
I'm scared to sound like an idiot but I want to make sure I'm doing it right.
What about frozen food... ie frozen french fries or fish? How/when do you weigh that? Isn't the weight different when it's frozen? Since I'm new to food measurement, is it safe to assume that you put the plate on the scale and add the weight of the food to the weight of the plate? Also, I have two tablespoons. One is much bigger than the other, same as a dry cup. How do I go about measuring things like mayonnaise or olive oil when I really want to make sure I'm staying within a serving size but it's so small?

Thanks in advance for all your responses, please go easy on me.

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes, frozen foods will usually be heavier when frozen because they contain a lot of water which usually cooks out. I'd suggest measuring after cooking, if possible.

For measuring, a tablespoon doesn't refer to a tablespoon you have in your silverware drawer. It needs to be a measuring spoon. Same for the 'cup'. It needs to be a measuring cup, not a drinking cup.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about measuring condom mints. They're pretty much one size fits all.

PM35108.jpg
  • Dorothy4208
    Dorothy4208 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    No, for tablespoon I meant a tablespoon from a set of measuring spoons and the same for the cup, a measuring cup. But I have two measuring spoon sets and they're pretty different in size. Well, the tablespoons are the most drastically different.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    No, for tablespoon I meant a tablespoon from a set of measuring spoons and the same for the cup, a measuring cup. But I have two measuring spoon sets and they're pretty different in size. Well, the tablespoons are the most drastically different.

That is bizarre. Are you sure one is not a teaspoon and the other tablespoon? A tablespoon is 3 teaspoons, and usually the largest spoon on the set.