Calorie shocker!

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    It's never the calorie count that shocks me. It's the sodium.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    You have to remember that just because something is "high" in calories doesn't make it a bad thing.

Quinoa was important to the diet of pre-Columbian Andean civilizations.[15] Today, people appreciate quinoa for its nutritional value. Quinoa has been called a superfood.[14] Protein content is very high for a cereal/pseudo-cereal (14% by mass), yet not as high as most beans and legumes. Quinoa's protein content per 100 calories is higher than brown rice, potatoes, barley and millet, but is less than wild rice and oats.[29] Nutritional evaluations of quinoa indicate that it is a source of complete protein.[30][31][32] Furthermore, it is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is also a source of calcium, and thus is useful for vegans and those who are lactose intolerant.[33] Quinoa is gluten-free and considered easy to digest.:smile:

Lots of thing have been called a superfood.

Unfortunately, calling me a black girl doesn't make me black.
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Totally there with you! Once I actually start paying attention to what I'm putting in my body it's a major reality check!
  • cassig13
    cassig13 Posts: 78 Member
    I was surprised with how many calories in peanut butter.
  • jessizona80
    jessizona80 Posts: 108 Member
    Not that I ever thought milk shakes were low calorie, but the most shocking thing I've discovered so far is that for a MINI (not even a small) peanut butter fudge shake, at Sonic, is 760 calories. I guess I knew they'd be high, but that really shocked me.

omg, that is outrageous! you can make them with skim milk and flavored yogurt at home pretty cheap and low in calories-- wasn't drinking many shakes anyway, but definitely not touching them now unless I make them at home

Same with me, I can't even remember the last time I had a shake, but peanut butter anything is my favorite right now so I was thinking of looking for a good subsitute to make at home.
  • I used to be addicted to cheese fries. So when I first started I decided to get a burger and only eat half a small order of cheese fries. Oh my!! I was shocked. I don't know why I thought that deep fried potato covered in melted cheese wouldn't be that bad for me, but it was a shocker.
  • charleyreedto175
    charleyreedto175 Posts: 60 Member
    Ok what's with eggs? Hard boiled is low, so are poached, fried maybe?
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Not that I ever thought milk shakes were low calorie, but the most shocking thing I've discovered so far is that for a MINI (not even a small) peanut butter fudge shake, at Sonic, is 760 calories. I guess I knew they'd be high, but that really shocked me.

omg, that is outrageous! you can make them with skim milk and flavored yogurt at home pretty cheap and low in calories-- wasn't drinking many shakes anyway, but definitely not touching them now unless I make them at home

Same with me, I can't even remember the last time I had a shake, but peanut butter anything is my favorite right now so I was thinking of looking for a good subsitute to make at home.

Have you looked at getting a natural peanut butter? The one I get it just peanuts ground up and put into a jar, no oil, salt or sugar. It's about 72 cals for 15g and is really nice for curbing my cravings because it's so rich!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,594 Member
    To the OP:

If you love southern fried chicken and don't want all the cals try the following method. Dip the chicken pieces in no fat yoghurt or buttermilk. Then dredge in oatmeal or quinoa flakes that have been smashed to bits in the food processor with some garlic salt. Place on greased baking sheet, and spray a scant amount olive oil over the pieces. Bake at 220C for 40 minutes (that's for thighs, a little less for breasts)
  • LuvDarkChocolate
    LuvDarkChocolate Posts: 145 Member
    Try the Ice drinks...no calories or sugar
  • DebBee83
    DebBee83 Posts: 30
    I ordered a "mini sized" M&M chocolate blizzard from Dairy Queen, and realized that it was 370 calories after I ate it! If you order the "small size", it's a whole 660 calories! Good thing that I ordered the mini size. Geez, I really have to avoid these kind of sweets. :noway:
  • alwaysgreen17
    alwaysgreen17 Posts: 85 Member
    For me, it was bread. I love bagels, toast, buns, bread for sandwiches, etc. I realize the high carb intake but caloric, too? :sad:
  • MissCaroline71
    MissCaroline71 Posts: 24 Member
    I ordered a "mini sized" M&M chocolate blizzard from Dairy Queen, and realized that it was 370 calories after I ate it! If you order the "small size", it's a whole 660 calories! Good thing that I ordered the mini size. Geez, I really have to avoid these kind of sweets. :noway:

Or work them into your numbers.....
    I had finished Dinner last week, and still had 400 cals to go - I thought Mmmmmm - I can have a treat. Ended up sharing a chocolate bar (Reeses Crispy Crunchy Thing) with the hubby - Next time - Im hitting DQ
  • DebBee83
    I can eat my whole days worth of allowance of calories just by eating one plate of enchiladas, rice and beans, chips and salsa at a mexican restaurant.
  • DebBee83
    It's never the calorie count that shocks me. It's the sodium.

It's true. Sodium really adds up. If I go out to eat restaurant food, I can gain 1-2 pounds in water weight the next day easy.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Orange juice. All the way! I was totally shocked. Even eggs I was shocked, jsut becuase I thought they were less calories. Cheese too.

I haven't checked eggs yet, is that another shocking one. I knew cheese was bad but I didn't actually realise HOW bad and cheese is one of my all time favourite foods. Really not looking forward to eating healthier and fewer calories.

if you barely have much to lose, cheese and eggs and orange juice is just fine.

You don't need to lose much, so you don't need to cut much out.

You just need to see where to cut 250 calories out of your normal diet, that and added exercise where there was none before will do wonders.

Make too radical changes, and you'll likely be in worse shape than before.
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    I know I probably shouldn't be surprised but at Huddle House 15 fries is 600 calories and an order is at least 25 or so. I know potatoes are lots of calories but are they frying them in straight pig fat or something? Jeez!

Edited for grammer
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Yup. A little over a year spent tracking every bite that went into my mouth and I think I'm just now able to self regulate. Maybe.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    I was less surprised by calories and more surprised at what a portion really is. a REAL tablespoon of peanut butter is not a lot when you thought you were only putting a tablespoon of peanut butter on your toast then find out it was closer to almost 3.
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    You have to remember that just because something is "high" in calories doesn't make it a bad thing.

Quinoa was important to the diet of pre-Columbian Andean civilizations.[15] Today, people appreciate quinoa for its nutritional value. Quinoa has been called a superfood.[14] Protein content is very high for a cereal/pseudo-cereal (14% by mass), yet not as high as most beans and legumes. Quinoa's protein content per 100 calories is higher than brown rice, potatoes, barley and millet, but is less than wild rice and oats.[29] Nutritional evaluations of quinoa indicate that it is a source of complete protein.[30][31][32] Furthermore, it is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is also a source of calcium, and thus is useful for vegans and those who are lactose intolerant.[33] Quinoa is gluten-free and considered easy to digest.:smile:

Agreed... I don't eat rice anymore, use quinoa instead.